Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Driving in Colorado

Poster: A snowHead
Hi, am planning a trip to Colorado in January and looking at car rental, will I need a 4x4 or can I get away with an ordinary small european sized car, do you need snow chains.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Having hired a 'compact' in the US before, I don't think they do small European sized cars. It was about the same size as Ireland
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
radar, from memory, Avis wouldn't rent me snow chains in Denver. So 4wd plus winter tyres, and played safe with the weather.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Car hire companies may not rent chains but you can always buy at Walmart or an Autoparts store for under $40. PITA if you're likely to be doing frequent off/on e.g. a lot of daily driving between resorts. If the cars just for the out and back may be worth a shot. Be careful on size - used to be a compact would guarantee you a minimum Focus size but some companies now seem to play a bit loose and claim that's an Intermediate.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
radar, book the cheaper car, haggle at the desk. They'll try and upgrade you to a 4x4 anyway (because they ALWAYS ask if you're heading up I70 and say things like "sir, you'd be safer in an SUV") so look interested but say you can't stretch to what they are asking for but you will offer $x.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
radar, do you need a car? When I went to Vail for a week I did a coach transfer, loads easier after a long haul flight and means you can have a glass of wine or two on the flight.............
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Most car rentals do not allow you to put chains on the tires. Besides if the snow is bad enough that you need them on the I70 and winter tires do not do the job, then you probably don't want to be driving! Not sure if Co. state law is the same as Ca. state law, but there you need to have either a 4x4 with winter rated tires (they do accept M+S I think) to drive up the I80 in snowy conditions, or chains (which you probably can't use - see previous point). Try and get proper winter tires - all seasons are not the same thing (despite what rental places seem to think sometimes!)
Also bear in mind that you are quite high up, particularly when you get to Vail, so you don't want something too small in the engine department.

Things are different in N. America now, small is the new big (!?) Fiat 500 is quite popular and was even offered one as a hire car - I was too scared to drive something that small on the roads in the US!
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
stuarth wrote:

Things are different in N. America now, small is the new big (!?) Fiat 500 is quite popular and was even offered one as a hire car - I was too scared to drive something that small on the roads in the US!

Fiat500 would be quite scary when everyone else is in a oil tanker Shocked
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
kitenski, was thinking of doing Aspen/snowmass and Breckinridge, the transfers seem to only go to or from the airport to the resorts.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
radar, defo hire a car - you'll need one just to drive to breakfast. Breckenridge opening a big new area this season - Peak 6.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thornyhill wrote:
stuarth wrote:

Fiat500 would be quite scary when everyone else is in a oil tanker Shocked

Yep, that's why my "car" is an F150 Cool
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
stuarth wrote:
]

Yep, that's why my "car" is an F150 Cool

Isuzu Rodeo for me. Same difference. Family car, selectable AWD, dead comfy, goes anywhere on any tires. Throw road-kill in the back and BBQ it. Cool Can't beat that
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
radar wrote:
Hi, am planning a trip to Colorado in January and looking at car rental, will I need a 4x4 or can I get away with an ordinary small european sized car, do you need snow chains.

If you have a 4x4, you don't need chains. If you need chains? You're breaking the rental contract by putting them on! So there's your answer: you can't hire chains.

As for whether you really need a 4x4, you're playing russian roulett. Murphy's law will dictate if you hire a 4x4, the roads will be clear and dry. But if you don't hire a 4x4, you'll find yourself doing the transfer when a storm is dumping FEET of snow on the road!

I think you'll do best by findinng the best deal on a 4x4 and have the peace of mind the whole time. Though to be fair, if it really snows hard, even 4x4 won't get you to your destination. So there's something to be said about not bothering with 4x4 too.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
radar, There are lots of small cars over here now but for the Rockies you do need a 4x4 just in case and when it dumps the Interstates are often closed. We trucks are required to carry chains and use them when the signs are lit. Just make sure when you hire the car that they are fitted with Snow and Mud tyres. Be prepared for a lot of idiots who even in a winter mountain state cannot drive on snow.

F150 is a girl's tonka toy rolling eyes F350 Powerstroke diesel just about makes it into the big boys league. Saw a private 8wD army tanker converted into an RV the other day Twisted Evil nice, who needs roads?
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Masque wrote:

F150 is a girl's tonka toy rolling eyes F350 Powerstroke diesel just about makes it into the big boys league...

I know, I know, and everyone keeps telling me! Embarassed wink
Maybe I shouldn't mention its (ahem!) a short box, but then again I don't haul anything much except bikes and skis, and only really prowl the beaten off road of highway 1 between N. Van and Burnaby. wink

Thornyhill,
What is AWD? Is that a new fangled invention? wink
ski holidays
Thornyhill wrote:
Having hired a 'compact' in the US before, I don't think they do small European sized cars. It was about the same size as Ireland

Last season I was given a Fiat 500 at Enterprise Car Hire Denver Airport!!

First time I ever been given a European Car , Got to say great car when your doing thousands of miles & the increased gas costs in the US. It also turned a lot of heads up in the Mountians !
snow conditions
never had a SUV/4WD/AWD vehicle when we've been to Vail, and never seemed to need it. Though I do remember a hairy drive back in the dark down the I70 from Denver during heavy snow. IIRC I was still going faster than the locals in their 'trucks'.

Must just be our European driving standards I guess....

If you were just doing Vail/BC then I'd say forget the hire car. If you want to go the other resorts as you mention then get a car but like I said we drover to Breck and Aspen in December in a regular 4 door 2wd automatic 'merican veeehiical.

Worst thing about it was the soft suspension and the fact that it took us 3 days to get the boot (see trunk) open. Eventually found the trunk release switch in the glovebox.
snow conditions
ansta1 wrote:
Worst thing about it was the soft suspension and the fact that it took us 3 days to get the boot (see trunk) open. Eventually found the trunk release switch in the glovebox.

Did the hire car have a user manual? (they're usually in the glovebox wink Toofy Grin ) - although to be fair I have known some hire cars not to be supplied with one.
ski holidays
radar, whatever you decide, other thing I'd recommend is making your first night in Denver (plenty of places beyond the car hire and before I70). Flights get you in there late pm or early evening and being travel-weary and tackling a potentially tricky I70 in the dark isn't a heap of fun. You're jet-lagged anyway, will be up and about very very early so can leave at sparrow's fart and still be in resort early morning. Helps a bit with the altitude thing too.
snow report
Bode Swiller, ^ +1
ski holidays
Alastair Pink wrote:
ansta1 wrote:

Did the hire car have a user manual? (they're usually in the glovebox wink Toofy Grin ) - although to be fair I have known some hire cars not to be supplied with one.

A user manual? what's one of those? Puzzled

In truth no it didn't but we did check the glovebox (LOL) for a manual when trying to open the boot just didn't notice the little red trunk button, but it was dark and after a long flight, well that's my excuse anyway.
ski holidays
ansta1 wrote:
In truth no it didn't but we did check the glovebox (LOL) for a manual when trying to open the boot just didn't notice the little red trunk button, but it was dark and after a long flight, well that's my excuse anyway.

That's why the recommendation:
Bode Swiller wrote:
radar, whatever you decide, other thing I'd recommend is making your first night in Denver (plenty of places beyond the car hire and before I70). Flights get you in there late pm or early evening and being travel-weary and tackling a potentially tricky I70 in the dark isn't a heap of fun. You're jet-lagged anyway, will be up and about very very early so can leave at sparrow's fart and still be in resort early morning. Helps a bit with the altitude thing too.
snow conditions
Masque wrote:
Be prepared for a lot of idiots who even in a winter mountain state cannot drive on snow.

Those could be tourists driving a hired car... Wink

Quote:
Saw a private 8wD army tanker converted into an RV the other day Twisted Evil nice, who needs roads

I always thought that would be a brilliant idea Smile (well, not actually a tank, but I thought a half-track would be rather handy in many of the western state campground access roads! Shocked )
latest report
Quote:

That's why the recommendation:
Bode Swiller wrote:

yep got that, but it wasn't tiredness per-se that led to the 'lets not look for the trunk release any longer' it was more (given it was our honeymoon.....) that we just wanted to get to the hotel in Vail, so we threw the bags and ski's in the back of the car. Had we not been in a bit of a rush we would have looked harder or gone back to the hire people and asked. (well my wife would have as it would been too shameful for me).
snow report
Honeymoon at 9000 feet. Great planning Laughing
snow report
ansta1 wrote:
(well my wife would have as it would been too shameful for me).

I would have thought that's one of the small advantages of having a wife, so SHE can go ask such questions! Laughing
latest report
Bode Swiller, its a long 'non-stop' night time ride up the lionshead gondola for the all you can buffet.........
snow conditions
ansta1, some of your euphemisms are waaay too descriptive Laughing
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Embarassed
ski holidays
This is my experience when I hired a car to spend two weeks chasing Colorado resorts of Winter Park, Loveland, Arapahoe, Keystone, Breckenridge, Copper Mounatin, Vail, Beaver Creek and all 4 areas of Aspen.

First the Denver has a car hire area as big as the airport but a good few miles from the Denver airport. Each car hire company operates its own buses to take you from airport to the car hire area.

I don't think the American believe in snow chain as I didn't see one during my trip. The car hire company I used never stock them. So it is down to SUV with AWD or 4x4 the next nearest. Some SUV do not have 4x4 capability as some silly car owners like the buy a car looks like a 4x4 but without its capability and a car sector called "crossover" was created. Most 4x4 are now AWD. The difference is 4x4 can be part time to be engaged when needed whereas AWD (all wheel drive) is permanent and cannot be changed.

I stand to correct but snowtyres are not popular either. This is from the car hire company and also observation during my trip. I found Subaru more common than BMW and Mercedes in every car park I went because every Subaru except the smallest Justin model has AWD.

The SUV/AWD is little bit more expensive but do insist on having a look at the tyres before accepting it. The tyres can be pretty bald and not good for snow ground. I would choose a SUV with a good set of tyres rather than for its model. Stick with tyres with a lot of grooves because some 4x4 tyres can be for rock climbing with solid and bald blocks pattern.

Do one needs a 4x4? I would say probably not if one has to economize and willing to moderate the speed whenever there is snow. For safe and sure travelling get a SUV with AWD and you are confident the weather is unlikely to spoil you holiday.

Most resorts do not allow cars to get inside but provide a massive car parking facility a mile or more from the resort. Instead free buses are provided directly to the chairlifts. This applies to Breckenridge, Copper Mountain, Beaver Creeks and Aspen. Local free car parks are available in Ketstone, Loveland, Arapahoe and Winter Park. Vail is the exception that there is no free car parking at all and limited paid small car parks are available. Vail gave me the impression the skiing facility is mainly for the residents while the rest welcome all kinds of visitors. To ski Aspen the best way is the park at Buttermilk and take the bus for Aspen Mountain, Aspen Highland and Snowmass.

The main i70 and local roads to the resorts are clear of snow with the same rigor as those in Europe.

I visited but did not ski Winter Park as it is on a side road from i70 where you can find in the order of travelling from Denver Loveland (87 miles from airport), Arapahoe, Keystone,Breckenridge, Copper Mounatin, Vail and Beaver Creek (133 miles from airport) almost one resort per junction. Aspen is significantly further away (67 miles between Beaver Creek and Buttermilk) and the accommodation can be very expensive (2 to 3 times). For a few days visits I stayed at Carbondale which has affordable accommodations at about 26 miles from Buttermilk. Apparently many competitors of the skiing events also use Carbondale (I ran into a few of them everyday) as the road is fast with little traffic in between. This is similar to skiing Zermatt cheap by staying in the affordable Italian side of Cervinia.
snow conditions
thanks everyone!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy