Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Cambridge Ski Safety is a really really bad idea

Poster: A snowHead
fatbob, Look at the video on their website. The old detectors were big. The new ones are very small and light.

Incidentally, if a mobile phone can reflect the signal then surely that is a good thing? You might get a false hit from a mislaid phone, but it's more likely to be still in the pocket of a trapped skier.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
foxtrotzulu, The opening video to this topic has James Aubrey Rosbon detailing a list of recent incidents of on piste avalanches, I do not doubt his facts (although I do have doubts about the product as previously stated, Snowheads Meh a good point made.). I posted a link on the last post to a news feed examples but did not post the further examples http://www.planetski.eu/news/3540 http://www.canada.com/ottawacitizen/news/story.html?id=7bd41ba8-fe90-41ac-a72e-803a661aedf1&k=59 http://www.j2ski.com/ski-chat-forum/posts/list/10243.page http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2110533/Mobile-phone-footage-shows-avalanche-wipe-lift-St-Francois-Longchamps-ski-resort.html your casualty data source may need updating?

The advantages of reflector tech is that it is more likely to be on ones person and requires no training or batteries and maintenance to function and is not accidentally left at the chalet or turned off over lunch and forgotten to be turned back on. Recco is already out there, and I get your, by Recco not permanently attached littering the mountain and leaving false positives thinking.

But lets not forget my comment was an "idea concept lift pass based reflector system " A Bad luck wrong place wrong time increase your odds improver". If a lift pass panel can detect a valid ski pass at 6 inches and flash up your photo what tech would it take to locate one at distance and mobilize? Agreed it would have the previous noted disadvantages of the Cambridge or Recco but every skier would have one regardless of the quality of clothing. Thanks fatbob for posting this mobile phone app http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=100952 Interesting but also an opens more cans of worms within the forum, but it shows what can be done now days with tech. (cheap tech on piste bad luck odds improving concepts for the masses!).
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Up-to-date details on Recco here:

http://www.recco.com/the-recco-system

The detector may have undergone a few developments since you last saw one.

I've used the latest one and was impressed enough to pick up some reflectors to add to our ever growing equipment pile.

Update: oops! Foxtrotzulu beat me to it Embarassed
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
foxtrotzulu wrote:
flowa, Your comment appeared in the midst of a discussion about RECCO. I assume you are talking about the Cambridge system, and not RECCO?

Quite right. I had a look at the Cambridge video earlier this morning and didn't look at what the conversation was up to before chucking in my crappy opinion Blush
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
skiwithease, Mobile phone app is a bad idea. If the new RECCO dectectors are that small and affordable enough to resorts that there can be one in every patrol shack then Robson is even less justified. If they can reflect off existing electronics so much the better.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
fatbob, Agreed mobile phone app not great, for all kind of reasons that have been mentioned in previous posts including your post from where I referenced the link. Was just pointing out tech ideas and concepts as stepping stones to better piste safety, awareness to the masses and increasing ones odds. Thanks for sharing
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Its also interesting that some of the new transceivers for next season have a recco reflector built into them
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Not sure why anyone would consider the Cambridge product when a Pieps Freeride transceiver can be picked up for £85 in the UK.
Small enough even for a 5 year old to slip into his pocket.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks livetoski, Found this which was interesting http://www.ortovox.com/3175-ortovox-equips-its-avalanche-transceivers-with-recco-reflectors.html
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
A better idea for a piece of on-piste ski equipment that would protect skiers on-piste, but not upset so many SHs, would be something that would protect skiers against on-piste chamois attacks. I mean, they CAN happen, and even be fatal. If some SH could invent something here they could make millions with right marketing (would mobile phone app that makes sound of barking dog when you get charged work?)
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
fatbob wrote:
A RECCO detector can be carried in person but it's a bulky piece of kit - I recall seeing something like a Sky dish with a big old style radio backpack when some pisteurs were training.

Not true.

http://unofficialnetworks.com/recco-rebuttal-gear-review-posted-unofficial-networks-26420/
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
foxtrotzulu wrote:
fatbob, Look at the video on their website. The old detectors were big. The new ones are very small and light.

Incidentally, if a mobile phone can reflect the signal then surely that is a good thing? You might get a false hit from a mislaid phone, but it's more likely to be still in the pocket of a trapped skier.

Interesting.

Looks like it folds, so would easily fit in a pack. Any info on how fast/effective/easy a search is compared to with a tranny? Assuming they continue to get smaller/lighter, could there ever be a day when they replace standard transcievers (for companion rescue)? Or are/likely to remain a lot more expensive? Any inherent differences in range/accuracy between the two technologies?
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
RECCO - a real experience.

A friend, a pisteur at Valmorel, found a buried holiday maker within a couple of minutes of arriving on scene using the RECCO kept in the pisteurs hut. The young man's father alerted the pisteurs having received a call from his daughter who was also caught in the avalanche but was not completely buried and managed to call her Dad using her phone. Very lucky.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
From Recco site:

Quote:
RECCO® reflectors do not prevent avalanches, nor do they guarantee location or survival of a buried or lost person. Reflectors are also not a substitute for an avalanche rescue beacon. However, when someone needs more help than their friends can provide, RECCO® reflectors do provide another chance.

The new Recco detectors can also pick up a normal transceiver not sure if the 30m range is through pure snow though?
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
marksavoie, Exactly what RECCO should be for, and I stand mightily corrected on my post above re the old kit. I'm a bit disturbed by the coverage RECCO boast about in the Unofficial link above 11 receivers is pretty pitiful for Whistler Blackcomb and the surrounding areas.
ski holidays
I don't ride much at resorts, and I don't take a transceiver when I do. The published stats show that the death rate at resorts is remarkably low. Avalanche deaths on piste are going to be way lower. Ignoring that, and the clear risk from Chamois, you'd be better off taking steps to reduce your risk of death driving to the resort than worrying about this.

Transmit-only devices... it's a lot of technology for people to screw up... and they can't test that it's working correctly if they've no receiver! If herds of package tourists turn up with these things then searches would probably take longer as you'd never get them all to turn the suckers off!

If a celebrity gets caught but not killed whilst wearing one then you'll all be using them pretty soon. I doubt very much your insurance company would give you a discount for using one, QED.

Helis can fly in remarkably poor weather. Snow's not a problem unless it's the wrong temperature or unless there's enough of it to reduce visibility below the legal minimum. Even then, if you're in trouble they can fly in very poor conditions, although you may not want to be a passenger.

If people at resorts all have mobile phones, then just flying around with a small base station with a few bells on it would allow you to locate everyone pretty quickly. In fact if you just put a bit of radio technology on each lift tower, you could easily construct a dynamic map of everyone with a mobile phone, if it was legal. Then you could automatically pull the tickets of the people ducking ropes.

I don't think I'll bother walking the 30 seconds from where I'm sitting to their office to take a look.
ski holidays
The only proper use I can see for the Cambridge device is as a cheap transmitter for use during training with real transceivers. I'm not sure why they don't market it as such, rather than as a solution to an imaginary problem. I actually almost feel sorry for the guy, throwing his money away on such a deluded venture.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy