Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Planning Feb 2014 half term-Morzine

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
After a great time this year near Chamonix (thank you for your advice on here) we are planning ahead-Muggins has been lumbered with organising 3 groups totaling 12 people including 5 kids.

Flight prices to Geneva from the UK are very high during Feb half term (as usual). Cheapest alternative I could find is Bristol or Birmingham to Grenoble at about £252 PP. However the flight times mean we do not land until 8pm. I have found SC accommodation in Morzine which fits us.

One of our groups (with 5 people) is determined to drive to reduce the cost. I am considering it although it will just be me driving with 2 kids and wondered is it worth the hassle? Adding it up driving costs around £430 (inc Eurotunnel Tesco voucher cost/tolls/fuel) compared to £1006 (for 3 of us) in flights/carhire/fuel so the saving is good but not sure about my mental/physical health. I would stop over to get a rest.

Also this year our half term was a week before the main UK and French one but 2014 the UK is all the same (but French is still a week later). I know it will be busy but will there be big queues generally?

Many thanks

Yoghurt
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Mostly, like anywhere it'll be busier in feb than a quiet time like mid Jan. some of the 'main' lift links will be busier than usual. Like heading back from the top of Avoriaz, or heading over towards Mosettes etc. but saying this I've never queued for more than 5 mins... unless the lift breaks

My advice, is don't break for lunch at the normal time. We always stop for a mid morning crepe or something then ski through lunch and stop at about 2 - 2.30 for our meal, the pistes and lift queues will be quieter between 12 - 2 and the restaurants will be quieter after... although, with children I don't know if this will be possible.

Driving is a good idea, but at the very least make sure you've got snow chains/socks for the car, if not Winter tyres - you will probably need them, this Feb just gone was very snowy and saw more than a few ill-equipped people struggling with the snow... even saw a Van in a ditch Shocked

there are some great places to stop over for the night en-route, but do book a hotel/b & b in advance, particularly if your stop over will be a Friday or Saturday night. Yes it is a bit of a slog, but well worth the £600 + saving
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thank you Insiders
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

but 2014 the UK is all the same (but French is still a week later)

No, that week will be Paris holidays I think - so very, very busy on the road down, and probably in resort too. a lot depends on the snow - if it's good all over it won't be so bad. Strongly agree with insiders that skiing through the lunchtime makes sense.

You're caught between rock and hard place with the travel. the good news is that arriving in Grenoble at 8 pm you will miss the worst of the traffic on the transfer. But it's late for kids. And quite a long way - much further than from Geneva.

As for driving from the UK, are you used to doing such a long drive? Will you be the only driver? I drive regularly to the Alps myself, but not with kids! And absolutely, definitely, not on the weekend of combined UK half term and Paris holidays. You will probably encounter quite big traffic delays and if you stop over for a night it will add to your costs considerably and reduce the saving.

You sound as though you are very uncertain about the travel - and I'd sympathize with that - I'd be inclined to take the flight option, for peace of mind. You will need to hire snow chains and, if possible, have winter tyres, probably an extra cost on the car hire but could save you grovelling around in a blizzard putting chains on at 10 pm in the pitch dark.

Flight prices are, as you say, very high now - is half term your absolutely only option?

If you decide to drive you need to give very careful thought to timing to avoid major traffic jams - plenty of advice available here about that.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thank you Pam.
I would not be confident to drive such a distance so flying is the best option for me. Now looking at Champoluc, Italy as a possibility!
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Insiders, +1
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Just as a counter to this, I always drive down to the Alps and do it in a single drive and I am the only driver. It's really not that bad, sure it's a little tiring but the autoroutes are so easy it's not so bad.

Having said that I don't drive with kids in the car and I don't drive in half term so this would make it more difficult.

My preferred timings are to take the day off on Friday, get to the channel tunnel early on the Friday, drive all day and get to chambery at 6.30pm. Spend the night there and then up early and get to the resort by 9am ready for a days skiing.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

Having said that I don't drive with kids in the car and I don't drive in half term so this would make it more difficult.

kosciosco, there are two classes of travel; First Class and With Children. wink
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy