Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

2 resort holiday - suggestions to go with St Anton?

Poster: A snowHead
Hello there.

We normally drive for a two week ski holiday in France but are thinking of going back to Austria next year. We'll have our car (and a toddler in tow) our friends normally fly.

We'd like to go back to St Anton, (Lech & Zurs etc included) - but thinking about moving to a different resort for our second week - for various reasons. Any suggestions?

Would have to be within say 4-6 hours drive (for us) and preferably somewhere our friends could reach with a transfer. (If they don't squeeze in with us!).

Doesn't have to be another Austrian resort, Switzerland, France etc, anything goes.

Has anyone combined another resort with St Anton? Where did you go?

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Thu 27-06-13 22:22; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Puzzled Kitzbuhel?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I'm confused? Where does Kitz come in?

If you're in Kitzbuhel, then consider Saalbach. If you're in St Anton, then maybe Davos?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Sorry, it's been a long day. Suggestions to go with St Anton please....
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
A week in St. Anton and a week in Lech? They are basically two different resorts covered by one lift pass. You will have Warth onto Lech next year so plenty to keep you going 2 weeks
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
We have skied St Anton, Lech & Zurs before. Was thinking of somewhere completely different for the second week as we'll visit most areas on the pass in the first week anyway.

Ideas?
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
What dates are you thinking of going, if it is outside of peak weeks you might be able to just book the first week in St Anton and then decide where to go based in the snow once you are out there. If the conditions in Anton are good, stay a second week, if the snow is looking better elsewhere, jump in the car and drive...
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Davis/Klosters, Flims/Laax would give you Swiss resorts within reach.

From St Anton you are near Landeck so could drive into Italy and do the Dolomites.

TBH we have never done a 2 centre but I think going for a different country is better than doing a second Austrian resort for contrast.y
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
What are you looking for in the second resort, in terms of skiing/apres/etc?
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ischgl.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

I'm confused? Where does Kitz come in?

Elizabeth B, the original thread heading had Kitzbuhel, not St Anton. Hence my confusion but the OP has changed it.Laughing

France is an awful long way from Austria with a toddler in a car.... I'd stay over east if I were you.

Choices must depend a lot on what you plan to do with the toddler and whether/how you plan to meet up during the day. For myself, if I found a good set up with the optimum child-care and logistics I'd stay there two weeks rather than move. Toddlers don't always embrace change wholeheartedly.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
What are looking for? On-piste, off-piste, apres? Beginner, intermediate, or advanced?

If you are an intermediate skier, who mainly sticks to the blues, and easier reds/blacks, then a week in the Arlberg is possibly plenty. If you are advanced, and into off-piste, or starting to dabble in it, then IMHO you probably spend a lifetime there and not get bored.

Options beyond Ischgl... Serfaus/Fiss/Landis, Solden, Schruns, or Switzerland & Italy further afield.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
+1 for Serfaus, sedate on the Apres front but great for kids and plenty of skiing for adults.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Another vote for Fiss. Nice contrast with St Anton
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
[quote="pam w"]
Quote:

France is an awful long way from Austria with a toddler in a car.... I'd stay over east if I were you.

From St Anton (right in the West) you can be in the Chamonix/Morzine area in 5 hours without too much stress, it's definitely doable.

For minimum driving time/great resort, has to be Ischgl though.
ski holidays
Bode Swiller wrote:
Ischgl.

Yep. But drop the St Anton week and stay both weeks at Ischgl. Cool
snow report
Ischgl, Soelden, Obergurgl or the area that I've forgotten the name of but includes Schruns and Golm.
ski holidays
There is also the Zillertal, just the other side of Innsbruck, which has a heap of ski areas.
ski holidays
After a monster drive to Austria do you really want to pack up after 7 days, drive a few hours, unpack again etc? With Warth joining Lech next year there will surely be enough to keep you going 2 weeks and if you really want change of scene just stay one week Lech and other St Anton, each area itself will do you a week
ski holidays
Ischgl or Serfaus
latest report
I did a tour of ski resorts in a van in that area. I started at Solden, then went on to St Anton, after which I ended up in Davos. The drive from Solden to St Anton was pretty clear, and mostly on main roads. The drive from St Anton to Davos was up a high pass in the hills, which was stormbound when I crossed it. I had to pull over into a lay by, almost at the top of the pass, and sit out a storm until morning. The road to Davos is narrow, not well maintained in bad weather.

I would opt for Solden to be sure of being able to get there, as the roads will be clear. It is an easier drive.

snowHead
snow report
We've booked a two centre holiday for Christmas and New Year - 1st week in Lech, 2nd in Fiss. I've not skied Fiss but it looks like its got a decent amount of pistes. As you've got a car I'd recommend the Zillertal. The ski pass there covers the whole valley so you get over 600kms to explore from half a dozen valley bases. Mayrhofen is the only one that commonly features in British brochures but I prefer the skiing at Kaltenbach/Hochfugen.
snow report
Thank you all.

This will be the third driving ski holiday (and fifth counting flights) with our daughter. The first was when she was four months old. So packing up after one week and moving on is not an issue, no biggie for me!

Want to go back to St Anton as we went pre-child and its one of the ski resorts we wanted to go back to. We are fairly experienced piste skiers and can cover a lot in a day. Don't often refer to a piste map as we are happy to ski anything on piste. Have dabbled a fair bit off-piste, mostly with guides and nothing too steep, although have been lucky to get some deep stuff way off piste last winter in both Chamonix and Val D'Isere. So while we could stick to St Anton area for 2 weeks the point this year was to move on after a week. Can't afford a guide too often and it would be lovely for various reasons to go somewhere else week two. We normally stay in one place for our two week holiday and just fancied a change this year.

Currently in the running is St Anton then either Ischgl or even St Mortiz which is expensive BUT lovely looking! The issue as some have pointed out is suitable child care for what will be our 26 month old at the time.
snow report
Just to say, I blommin' love this in the summer. Mulling over options and pricing stuff up for our ski holidays. Makes those hot summer months fly by!!
ski holidays
Can't offer any advice on child care but the nearest area next to Arlberg St Anton should be Silvretta Valley entering from Landeck side. One can finish St Anton the last day at say 5pm and be in Ischgl 40 minutes later as the distance is only 27 miles! This should compare favourably with driving from St Anton to Lech with a distance of 12 miles requiring 22 minutes, as Lech is not linked with St Anton..

Ischgl is fully linked with Switzerland Samnaun and its 235km piste is not much lesser than the 280km piste of St Anton/Zurs/Lech which are not fully linked. That section of Silveretta Valley also has See, Kappls and Galtur all within a radius of 12 miles of Ischgl and all can be skied on Ischgl ski pass if you purchase the slightly more expensive Silvretta ski pass (for 71 lifts of the whole valley) instead of the VIP ski pass for Ischgl/Samnaun only (44 lifts). Ischgl ski map indicates it has Kindergarten facility but I have never used it so cannot comment.

Serfrau/Landi/Fiss is a fully linked resort with 185km piste. It can be skied as a day trip from Ischgl as the distance is 35 miles or 57 minutes by car. I found the journey quite relaxing but it is in the next valley (direction to St Moritz).

The next nearer Austrian area could be the opposite end of Silvretta Valley of Montofon (the middle section is closed for winter). Haven't been to that end so can't offer comment.

To the Innsbruck side is of course the Solden and Obergurgl of the Otz Valley (before reaching Innsbruck). Ski Welt, Kitzbuhel, Zillertal Valley etc are further away after passing Innsbruck if you drive from St Anton. They are all accessible by fast motorway.

The Swiss side also has some great resorts. St Moritz is about 93 miles requiring 2 hours 15 minutes by car from St Anton. It is the oldest skiing resort hosting the winter Olympic twice and is more upmarket than St Anton or Ischgl. Its large frozen lake is a Mecca for cross country skiing and is a stunning view from mountain top. The nearby Italian Livigno is also a gem worth doing a day trip from St Moritz. St Moritz has 3 skiing areas not linked together. It is a place well worth a visit to see how skiing has evolved from the privileged few to the mass market.
snow conditions
pam w, my comment was to the OP not to you...we cross posted. I was confused why they had put Kitz in the title.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy