Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ankle Flex, just how bad am I???

Poster: A snowHead
Have a look as those links above. You're measuring the difference in your height between standing up straight and when you flex your ankle.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
[quote="holidayloverxx"]
holidayloverxx wrote:
I'm being a bit thick - what are you actually measuring? from the wall to what?

inside wall of the boot in the healcup to the flesh of your heal, I'm assuming
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
franzClammer, that's doing a shell test of your boot. I'm talking about what are you measuring to get cms of flex on the Warren Miller test?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
holidayloverxx,
I am talking about boot sizing, as your Q came in between that discussion, or was you on about Ankle Flex Drop Test?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
franzClammer, cross post - ankle flex drop test
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
holidayloverxx, I looked to measure from the top of my head when I was standing to the top of my head when I had sunk down the wall as in the Warren Smith picture. I think the change in distance is what needs to be 30cm if you have sufficient flex.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Megamum, eh? I though it was something like the wall to the back of your knee. I never thought about your way. It doesn't actually say in the article does it?
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
holidayloverxx, My take was the amount of vertical 'down' movement of the hip\pelvis when flexed. Effectivly the same as Megamum's but easier to see.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
OK, I'll give it a go when my knee is a bit stronger
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
holidayloverxx wrote:
holidayloverxx wrote:

just askin'

measuring the height difference from you standing up straight to your height when ankle is flexed. hth Smile
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
holidayloverxx wrote:
holidayloverxx wrote:

just askin'

The distance you can slide down the wall with your back and heels still touching the wall and you feet still flat on the floor
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
yeah, yeah, I got it!
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
holidayloverxx, oops - didn't see page 2 - I thought everyone was ignoring you
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thornyhill, ah, bless. Laughing
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
holidayloverxx, it's the distance you slide down the wall after your second bottle of wine Cool
snow report
Mosha Marc wrote:
holidayloverxx, it's the distance you slide down the wall after your second bottle of wine Cool

I can do about 1.8m....(OK - maybe third bottle for maximum results Laughing )
snow report

http://youtube.com/v/Juk0yA9MuaI
snow report
Interesting. I got approximately 19cm from cold, first thing in the morning - obviously a stretch test like this is much more accurate after exercise, I'll have to give it a crack after a climbing session. My range of motion always increases extensively once I'm warmed up, as I have tight ligaments from mountain biking.

Oh, and I'm male, 5'9, 19 years old.
ski holidays
I used to do Soleus Stretches a lot when I fenced but I only have about 15cm movement. I do have an old injury in my right ankle though which resulted in it being a little tighter than the left even after physio.
snow report
18 cm, but I reckon I'll be able to get further down the wall when my knee is better
ski holidays
just remembered this was discussed a while back , some good info at http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=31014
snow report
10 cm
snow conditions
rasmanisar, I tried this after exercise yesterday and managed 18cm, up from 13cm cold.

Not sure how scientific it is, but managed 14cm after half a bottle of wine Neh Neh
ski holidays
Mike Pow wrote:
10 cm

yet I suspect that despite being wedded to slalom skis you ski at a reasonably high level. So the schtick isn't everything.
latest report
Now 'wedded' to 15 deg forward lean touring boots and dynafit bindings centre mounted on a twin tip ski.
snow report
jonkgray78 wrote:
rasmanisar, I tried this after exercise yesterday and managed 18cm, up from 13cm cold.

Not sure how scientific it is, but managed 14cm after half a bottle of wine Neh Neh

I'll have to give this a try after exercise and see how much I increase Very Happy
snow report
So it seems that half a bottle of wine increases flex by 1cm.

That's bloody good news; I'll get on with pre season training this evening Twisted Evil
snow report
Mosha Marc, I wonder if the effect is cummulative?
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Mike Pow wrote:
Now 'wedded' to 15 deg forward lean touring boots and dynafit bindings centre mounted on a twin tip ski.

Wow centre mount - I've always hated any demo skis that I tried with that. Rationale? Have you become a backcountry jib monkey?
snow report
fatbob wrote:
Mike Pow wrote:

Wow centre mount - I've always hated any demo skis that I tried with that. Rationale? Have you become a backcountry jib monkey?

I practice and preach whole foot pivotting. Centre mounted skis are more applicable for this than traditionally mounted skis IMHO.
ski holidays
No advances on 29.5 cm
Looks like I win the vin rouge..........lol
NehNeh
ski holidays
franzClammer, post a vid for verification Razz
snow report
franzClammer wrote:
No advances on 29.5 cm
NehNeh

Proof positive that ankle flex is essential for high performance skiing.
ski holidays
Kenny wrote:
franzClammer wrote:
No advances on 29.5 cm
NehNeh

Proof positive that ankle flex is essential for high performance skiing.

Holy Cow!! Was that a jibe at my amazing high performance skiing Shocked Sad
Show me your skiing at 5wks Bode!! Laughing

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Thu 4-07-13 9:45; edited 1 time in total
snow report
franzClammer, I think we all love your enthusiasm and you've clearly got a ballsy attitude so aren't going to be held back by timidity when you do get the fundamentals sorted but as a reality check some athletic individuals and/or kids can be pretty good skiers at 5 weeks. This is based on a good foundation and/or solid role models (I know it's not the norm for adults but some people do learn by naturally copying so those individuals following mates around who have really good form do progress pretty quickly).
snow report
fatbob wrote:
franzClammer, I think we all love your enthusiasm and you've clearly got a ballsy attitude so aren't going to be held back by timidity when you do get the fundamentals sorted but as a reality check some athletic individuals and/or kids can be pretty good skiers at 5 weeks. This is based on a good foundation and/or solid role models (I know it's not the norm for adults but some people do learn by naturally copying so those individuals following mates around who have really good form do progress pretty quickly).

Billy no mates me...... Sad I have to pay to follow people around Laughing
ski holidays
franzClammer wrote:
No advances on 29.5 cm NehNeh

Shocked you must have legs like a giraffe!
latest report
Franz & Megamum?

http://cl.jroo.me/z3/1/b/u/e/a.baa-giraffe-skiing-in-the-mounta.jpg
snow conditions
Roflmao Laughing Laughing Laughing
That's me in the front for sure Toofy Grin
snow conditions
DB, def. far more fun than a bungey cord! Madeye-Smiley
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy