Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Summer skiing - Deux Alpes/Cervinia/Tignes

Poster: A snowHead
I'm off to the Alps in a couple of weeks with the kids. Since its been such a monumental snow year and we're there in early July I'm contemplating a spot of summer skiing. We're based in Chamonix, so Cervinia (=Zermatt summer ski area) & Tignes are equidistant and LDA an hour further.

The constraint is that my daughter (3) is a green run skier so we need to find the easiest slopes possible for her to enjoy; her 6-yr old brother is a Chamonix-black run skier so no problems there. I've skied the LDA glacier and remember it being quite flat, but Tignes and Cervinia I wasn't paying attention to the gradient. Tignes is my first choice because its nearest and there's lots of other activities included (pool, lake etc.) but if the glacier at LDA is going to be more enjoyable for a green run skier, I'll go for that.

Alternatively, if the LDA glacier is still going to be challenging, then we won't bother dragging my daughter up the mountain, will just got to Tignes and take her on other activities.

So, what do the snowHead recommend? Who's skied what, and what do you think would work best...
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
snowdave, contact Easiski in lda even if you don't want a lesson . She will be the best person to advise on the suitability for your daughter
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
snowdave: The lowest summer slopes (served by the Rosolin drag lifts) at Tignes are graded blue - but they are very very gentle and definitely at the greener end of blue. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend them for a baby green-run skier. In fact I'd go so far as saying that they are just about suitable for nursery slope use. Another plus is that the slopes concerned are massively wide and in summer the snow will be nice and soft too.

Also (as you may know), when you come out of the funicular, you have to take a short chairlift down to reach the snow. At that point, you are on a really gentle section of the glacier which would be perfect for an initial slide about and to get your daughter's ski legs back.

As you've alluded to, there is absolutely loads (for young and old) to do in Tignes in summer season Very Happy.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
From what I can remember the top runs at Zermatt were a big flattish motorway. It was lower down things got more interesting. So you should be fine there. Worth going for the view from the top of Klein Matterhorn alone.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks mountainaddict, very helpful, just what I need to know. I think I'll take the punt on Tignes unless anyone else shouts with contradicting advice. Any accomodation recommendations? Val Claret, near the funicular and reasonably cheap are the main requirements!
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Remember most of the lifts on all three of these glaciers are T bars which are not ideal for a 3 year old!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
L2A also has a funicular which would be easier. Lift from the restaurant to it, or ski too if the snow is still down that far.

L2A opened at the weekend with skiing down to 2600m which opens up far more gentle green slopes. Whether it will still be open that far down when you go though is obviously down to snow conditions.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks for the additional stuff bodecia/snowrider/Claude B. T-Bars are actually ok a 3-yr old as she can ride between my legs (liftie permitting) or I can have an uncomfortable ride hanging onto her with the bar round my knees... Taking a steep poma with her on my leg would be tough, but easier pomas she can do on her own. Funicular would be the best tho'!

Zermatt my memory tallies with QB's which does mean I've got to take the kids to a reasonably punchy altitude (the extra 300m does make a difference in my opinion).
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Glad to be of assistance snowdave.

And here's a photo of the blue run in question. The top of the drag lift is just about visible - it ends just before the black spot ie just below the horizon. The black spot is the liftie's hut of a higher (separate) draglift that serves a steeper red run. The stand up and go position of the skiers illustrates the blue run gradient. It's also representative of how busy that piste gets in summer - the pic was taken in mid-July.

The top pylon of the cable car is at the top right of the photo, with the bulk of the summer skiing area being to its left, out of sight.

Finally, and speaking of Tignes accommodation, PM me if any interest in our apartment in Val Claret. It would hopefully tick all your boxes: Sleeps four; less than five mins walk from the Grande Motte Funicular; stays of any duration (as long as they don't clash with our stay in mid/late July wink) - and cheap summer rates for Snowheads wink.

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Wed 26-06-13 8:20; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
mountainaddict, that slope must be flat. I can't tell which is up and which down
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
The skiers are at the bottom of the run, skiing towards the camera. The run is fairly gentle - but probably not quite as flat as the photo suggests!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
That slope looks perfect, will give it a go!

re accomodation - thanks for the offer, but on the basis that the hotels include the Sport Tignes card with all the free activities, its probably more cost effective to stay in a hotel.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Cheers snowdave. I'm pretty sure that the Sportignes Card also applies to self catering properties - but I have to confess that we haven't sussed that out yet Embarassed....it's on our to do list. Regardless, the chairlifts are free (ie without card) for pedestrians and mountain bikers so we generally use those. There's also a nice looking children's play area on the lakeside, near the Lagon (indoor swimming pool) - built like a pirate ship IIRC. That always seems quite popular.

And finally....and assuming that you won't be lugging skis/boots across in the summer, if you have internet access (and if you don't you can go to the Maison de Tignes tourist office in Le lac) skis/boots are a lot cheaper if you book them on line. The following site has skis/boots from a ridiculously cheap €9.90 a day Shocked - for both, for an adult. €15 for intermediate skis and boots:

http://location-ski.twinner-sports.com/

The shop is just before the Grande Motte lifts in Val Claret and, best of all because you can check on the weather, the website seemingly lets you book for as soon as the next day.

Enjoy your visit Smile.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thanks! will report back. Kids excited already!
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Perhaps the time of day that the 3yr old starts ski-ing is more important than the actual grade of piste. A fairly convincing icy red at 7am can be a soft forgiving, greeny-blue by late morning (thinking specifically here of the main run down from the Tignes telecabin).
Not sure about the Tignes activity card entitlement; two years ago we stayed on the campsite just below Tignes and we were given cards. I think this may have been the first year of the cards and so the rules could have changed.
Looking forward to some updates on this thread as we want some glacier ski-ing in two weeks time and are also trying to decide between LDA and Tignes. To be honest, even though we are ‘middle aged kids’ the range of activities and the SportTignes card will probably sway the decision for us; clever marketing!

Have a good trip Snowdave
snow conditions
Good points JanA - though on days when the mid day temperature showing outside the Gd Motte cablecar station has read as high as 28C Shocked, we've been skiing really soft, lovely spring snow by about 09.30! Great fun and all part of the summer skiing experience.

The cover is looking pretty decent on the Tignes cams - in fact on the Val Claret resort view, it looks like Double M is just about still complete at resort level!

We are there 3 weeks today - can't wait Very Happy.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy