Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Decent AM setup on a budget.

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hey folks, I've got some money together so it's time to sort out my skiing setup! I'm looking for a decent balanced ski with a slight bias towards powder and rougher runs, but that can still carve good turns on piste. So basically, pretty typical AM setup. I don't mind buying second hand as long as it's 'like new' or actually new, and in good condition etc. As for budget, around £500 is what I had in mind, can push it a little but not much as I need cash for driving lessons.

So basically, skis, boots and bindings for around £500 - doable? I hope so. I can also get 15% student discount from a local outdoor shop that seems to have decent deals, and he can order stuff in too, and fit the boots.

I'm 5'10 and a pretty confident skier, comfortable on black runs etc. I think I'll want around 170cm-173cm, but I'm not too sure. I live near chill factore so can test and price match at Snow and Rock.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Buy new boots from a good bootfitter. Buy skis here second hand or on ebay with what's left of the budget.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
That's the plan, boots are most important IMO. Any suggestions on skis?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
The liberty hazmats for sale on the right if you're quick enough.130 quid with bindings. Perfect.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Mm, those liberties do look nice - I'm just slighty turned off by the age? Not sure if it's wise to buy a 5 year old ski, has design/technology not moved on notably over that time period? I'm keen for a bargain but I'd rather spend more on something that will last me, if you understand what I'm saying.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
rasmanisar, If you have limited skills, don't buy tech from 5 years ago. If you have good technique?????? you will be good on anything
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
My skills are pretty solid - the reviews look good and so does the design... I'll have a think. I just checked out the Volkl Mantras and they seem pretty much perfect for what I want, but we'll see what else turns up.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Ok, update time - I just bought new skis! Very Happy Checked Edge and Wax today, and saw they had the Atomic Alibi's in 173cm for £280. A little more digging found Marker Jester bindings for £199 - long story short, I bought them Wink They had a 10% off voucher live on the website today, so I got my skis and bindings for a cool £435 all in, and they'll fit the bindings, adjust them to my boot size (which I'm buying tomorrow), and give them a hot wax before sending them out.

Absolutely buzzing, can't wait to get them Very Happy
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You just need boots and SNOW on a slope. Very Happy
snowHead
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
NeddySkiGoon wrote:
You just need boots and SNOW on a slope. Very Happy
snowHead

This is true! Boots tomorrow, and then off to Chill Factore for a play probably next Wednesday Very Happy They won't see true snow for a little while unfortunately, although I do have tentative ideas about some summer glacier skiing in Austria... I have a friend who can sort it seriously cheap if he gets the time together. And, of course the winter season coming up, during which I plan on attending multiple snowhead trips along with the Uni snowsports club trip, and maybe a bit more... snowHead
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
that leaves you with 65 quid for boots rolling eyes
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
jimmjimm wrote:
that leaves you with 65 quid for boots rolling eyes

Oh, the £500 limit wasn't rigid, just a guideline Wink Just went boot shopping today, picked up the Tecnica Demon 130's. Really comfy boot as soon as I put them on, and the flex felt spot on, we'll see how they pan out after testing. I've not had them heat moulded yet as they feel comfy, going to wear them in a little and then get it done. £189 from Snow and Rock, so very pleased with that! Sent the sizing off to Edge and Wax, so they will fit the bindings, give the skis a hot wax and send them out to me.

Oh, and here's a quick picture Very Happy

latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

Just went boot shopping today, picked up the Tecnica Demon 130's

Unless you're massive and/or being modest about your abilities here, that's a pretty beefy boot - remember the flex will be a lot stiffer when on a cold mountain rather than a heated shop...
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I've found with rental boots that I had way too much flex which had a negative effect on my skiing and sometimes hurt my ankles when I was going for it. I ski pretty aggressively, but I'm modest about my ability because although I'm fast and confident, I don't have the long term experience that other people have - I was just fortunate to be a fast developer and have been lucky enough to ski with very experienced folk who raised my level quickly. I'm planning on stepping my game up this year though, as I want to apply for my BASI 1 next summer so I want to have good gear that will allow for my progression Smile The flex actually felt really good in these boots, so hopefully I've made the right decision Very Happy
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy