Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Travel Options - UK to Obergurgl

Poster: A snowHead
Last time I did this I couldn't get a direct train at a convenient time and had to change at Innsbruck.

clarky999 wrote:
Einari78 wrote:
clarky999 wrote:
chrisJersey wrote:
we (2 families) flew to Zurich when last staying at Obergurgl. i am sure the transfer wasnt more than 3.5 hours and we had kids in tow.

Train from Zurich to st anton is about 3.5 hours, obergurgl is a fair bit further on than st anton, so good work on doing it in under 4 hours! Did you have a hire car or private transfer?

Direct train from Zurich HB to St.Anton is just 2 hours 20 minutes, train from Zurinch HB to Oetztal - 2 hours 40 minutes. Bus from Oetztal to Obergurgrl around 40 minutes.

I stand corrected, it's been awhile since I've done that journey, and remembered it being over 3 hours. Maybe I missed to earliest connection at Zurich HBF, or got the slow train with more stops, or something.

2 hours 40 from the airport to St Anton: http://fahrplan.oebb.at/bin/query.exe/en?ld=3&seqnr=1&ident=7q.06013168.1372846715&OK#focus
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I am only passing on my advice I do not expect to be insulted by people who have no idea about my travel experiences and deride all my advice. You may disagree with me but that does not mean you have to discredit me.

It appears as residents you have set your self up as locals but your impolite comments typify that your are still "Inselaffe".
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Knees, In all fairness, your 'advice' did come across somewhat confusing, and at times incorrect. You suggest taking the train from a northern German city, but then later say that intercepting a train can be difficult. In another point you suggest hiring a car and driving to resort, yet also say chains aren't going to be necessary despite the fact that they are a legal requirement in Austria, and enforced. According to you trains are never cut off, yet you said that resorts have been cut off in recent seasons, the latter is true, the former is false, when St Anton was cut off not so long ago, it included the trains (IIRC the trains were stopped before the roads...). By all means provide advice, but maybe look at how you are providing it...
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Knees, Sie sind auch einen Inselaffe oder? Vielleicht sogar einen arroganten englische Arschloch! Sie wissen gar nichts über irgendeinen von uns aber sie sind seit, WOW, neun gesamten Jahren im Hannover gewesen - Gratuliere Wenn man mehr als ein Jahrzehnten hat, fangt man besser die Bedienungen in der Alpen zu verstehen an. Aber als Flachland-Einwohner ist es noch zu schwer und es dauert noch a bisserl!

Your advice was incorrect, inaccurate, confusing and dogmatic. There are many of us here that have been in the mountains for extremely long periods of time, easily topping your 9 years in Hannover (some several hundred kilometres to the north). Had you couched your "advice" in less dictatorial terms, we would have still pointed out he error of your ways, but perhaps been a little more light-hearted about it. So toddle off please petal and learn a little humility FFS. Using an insult like that was silly and does not do you many favours. Are you even aware that it is deemed a racial abuse and leaves you open to be charged with a "hate crime"? rolling eyes
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Samerberg Sue, +1 (except the stuff about the racial abuse/hate crime stuff Very Happy )
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
foxtrotzulu, the word stems from an earlier sadder period of German history and is actually designated a "hate crime" when used in public and you would be liable to at least a heavy fine. I have been called it "just for fun" by a friend. Luckily for him, another friend who is a police inspector and who knows us both, was able to put him right about its use in friendly way. As he pointed out at the time, had another officer heard or seen the use of the word, then a charge could and mostly would have been made. There are many words, names, gestures, etc that are "funny" and harmless to foreigners, particularly the English, that are deeply offensive to the Germans because of their history. I am unable to use my initials for example for documents I work on because of the connections they have to less friendly times. I accept it as part of learning to live here. Little Angel
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Samerberg Sue,
So toddle off please petal and learn a little humility FFS

Sue,
Ive never met you. But in the last 12 months Ive introduced 2 people to this forum. And both of them have left because of spats with you. This is a forum for discussion. You seem to have differences of opinions with people on a regular basis. I had one with you last week. I still stand by what I was indicating, but are far more thick skiinned and deal with much more challenging people on a daily basis than you. But your tone comes over as very condescending. Maybe its your French upbringing who knows.
Im sure you are very knowledgable in certain areas, but keep the ridicules to yourself, and you may get on a little better.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
jafa, Laughing Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Samerberg Sue, I should probably have explained my comment a little more. I'm not sure I really agree with the concept of a hate crime. If you assault someone who is gay/black/redheaded/Scottish/fat whatever people are very swift to label it a 'hate crime'. I can't easily see a difference between getting beaten up for being gay/Scottish etc. and being beaten up for any other reason. It is still assault and as far as I am concerned there is already a law to cover that.

Regarding racial abuse I have a slightly more PC approach. I think most abuse is nothing more than being insulted by someone else, so...... just get over it. sticks and stones etc. Racial abuse is not necessarily any worse, but as a nation we probably want to discourage it to tackle the underlying issue of racism. But..... I really can't get excited over 'racial abuse' between people of the same race. Between black and caucasian, between asian and Hispanic, etc. then yes. But between the english and scottish? German and British. No, that's not racism for me, that's just insults and bad manners.

As an aside, I looked up Inselaffe meant. I only looked at Wikipedia and found this:

'Inselaffe is a German word meaning "Island Monkeys". It is used, perhaps pejoratively but mostly light heartedly, to describe the people of England, UK. The word is generally used fondly and as part of the friendly and often humorous, competitive banter between the two countries.
The actual meaning behind it refers to the German (and other European countries) stereotypical image of the English as heavy drinking, violent, criminalistic and yobbish. These characteristics of the English are regularly witnessed by Europeans when visiting the UK, while on holiday elsewhere or at football matches, where many Europeans have been victim to the internationally infamous English hooliganism.
German people offer this behaviour as evidence to a tongue in cheek theory that evolution stalled on the island of Great Britain.
Although the phrase is used in reference to the people of the British Isles, the same stereotype is not recognised in the people of the regions Scotland, Ireland and Wales, who, it is considered, have a much less violent and aggressive nature, though still suffering the same commitment to inebriation and constant fight to avoid sobriety.'

Now..Island Monkeys would not be the nicest thing I could be called, but it's hardly going to ruin my day. I presume there is another, darker meaning to it. Can you enlighten me?

p.s. Not stirring, just genuinely curious.

BTW can you REALLY not put SS on documents in Germany? And there's me thinking it was the British who were obsessed about the war!
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
foxtrotzulu, the Germans are very strict about that kind of thing. Do the classic salute, and you'll be in a cell. Lots and lots of letter combinations are banned on car registrations too, even if some might seem funny to Brits. It's not just rude word combinations.

Starnberg (I think?) has the letters STA-xx which is just crying out for SI. SS is banned on all local plates I think. one beginning IZ-xx will not let you have AN cos it spells something seriously frowned upon in reverse.

Don't flick the finger to anyone in a road rage event either. If anyone sees they'll report you to the Polizei. 2 reports for hand gestures while driving, and you'll get a visit.

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Thu 4-07-13 17:41; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I'm not sure if Godwin's Law has been invoked or not yet.

Anyway, I for one don't mind if the Krauts call me Inselaffe.

Secondly, how did we get here? Ansta1 merely wants to get from the UK to Obergurgl FFS!
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Sammerberg Sue. I was often called island monkey by german friends as a joke and to me it represents the the narrow British attitude of being "know it alls" and not respecting other people. So I thought it was quit apt as Austrian and Germans would never challenge some else's opinions in such rude manner as you did.

The diatribe that you have just come out with is beyond words. So good bye as do I not intend visit this site again, you could end up arguing with your self if you carry on like this.

Thanks foxtrotzulu I hope you get some answers.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Kneeseo, flounceo after 4 posts.......must be a new record Laughing Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Not snowHead gold or even close, but amazing how what was basically "any travel options I haven't considered considered?" post turned into something close to insults.

Thanks all, if folks want to continue the off topic discussion I will follow, if anyone wants to add further info on options even though it looks like I have a plan, then I will follow.

Though possibly one for a move to the Apres section maybe. However I will leave that up to those who make that decision.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
ansta1, Sorry for thread drift...I only commented because I thought you were sorted. At those prices would you consider driving?
ski holidays
Oh Samerberg Sue, you are awful.....but I like you! Very Happy wink snowHead
snow conditions
Thornyhill, yes i would, seeing the FIl this weekend, he will be driving, so will sound out the idea.
ski holidays
ansta1, It is a lot easier than people think, although if you asked my sister who arrived here last night after a mammoth 36 hour drive, she may disagree! Laughing Puncture in Belgium in the middle night and a sat-nav that was playing silly buggers didn't help. But she did manage to get lost some how on the A8 and ended up in the middle of Munich in the rush hour! Shocked I will ask how when she starts to see the funny side, but currently it is a sensitive subject for some odd reason Laughing wink
latest report
Quote:

But she did manage to get lost some how on the A8 and ended up in the middle of Munich in the rush hour!

I've done that... but in the opposite direction Embarassed
latest report
My guess is it's the bit where it joins the ring, the sat nav will say to go round the South way (Garmisch turn off?), and then you find out the Munich ring errr isn't a ring. And you get stuck with all the trucks lane changing and cos you're tailgating them you can't read the overhead signes, then find you're 2 lanes away from where you want to be to go the North side (that's the way I normally go, but it's usually at night - can 120 it the entire way then).
ski holidays
andy, flangesax, I suspect she was on auto-pilot with the sat-nav set to the shortest route. She was complaining all day about it taking her off the route she knew. By the time she got to the Echinger-Spanner (the local name for the link from the A8 (Stuttgart-Munich) to the A99 eastbound I think she was just about legal in terms of whether she should have been driving or not! But being alone, he had no-one to spell her. When I reach that stage, I usually park up, lock the doors and curl up under the blanket on the back seat for a sleep! Does not matter how "close" I am to my destination. I drove off the road once when I fell asleep at the wheel - scared the sh*t out of me enough to say never again. If nowt else I don't think I'd be lucky enough to walk away with both me and the car unscathed again! rolling eyes
snow report
Samerberg Sue, there you go again talking like you know what's what - it's plainly obvious you've never left the UK and are just going on what you can see on Google street view

Toofy Grin

wink
snow report
Boris, shh stop giving the bloody game and I'll buy you a pint of wine in the pub tonight! wink
ski holidays
You can get a private airport transfer from, Munich, Salzburg, Friedrichshafen, Memmingen, Zurich or Innsbruck directly to your accommodation, in a comfortable car or minibus. From Innsbruck expect to pay around 180 Euros each way, time 1 hr 15 mins. Others around the 400 mark, 3 - 4 hrs. Prices depend on the number of people and distance.
That way you have the fastest possible transfer, no hassle with chains, maps, digging your car out of snow at the end of your holiday. You sit back and relax and let the driver get on with it.
There may be a problem with Zurich transfers this season, only allowed to be done by a swiss taxi/transfer company. (not too sure yet).
On Saturdays traffic jams can cause long delays from Zurich, Memmingen, Friedrichshafen and Salzburg, but other days are usually okay if you know where to avoid bottle necks.
Best option is always Innsbruck for speed and traffic but can have airport problems if the weather is really bad. (gets better every year with technology improvements).
Munich is the safest bet and the transfer isn´t too long, most traffic jams avoidable by an experienced transfer driver. (even on Saturdays).
A good company will also offer child seats for children, so long as they know in advance.

Driving yourself can be simple (if you enjoy driving), but if you´re unlucky or unskilled with maps it could ruin your holiday. It´s easy to get stuck in holiday or rush hour traffic adding hours on to your journey. Have an accident on a snowy road without winter tyres or chains mounted, you could find your insurance invalidated.

For more information please get in touch.
snow report
well, finally clicked the 'buy flights' button. Prevaricated for ages, saw prices go up and down, then up then down. Options for flights ended up being

Monarch - Manchesters to Innsbruck direct £1443
EasyJet - Bristol to Innsbruck direct £3000 (yes that is correct)
Easyjet - Liverpool to Innsbruck direct £1560 with luggage andallocated seats
Lufthansa - Birmingham to Innsbruck via Frankfurt £1511

In the end it came primarily down to convenience and price. The Bristol flight was just way too expensive and Monarch and Easyjet flights from oop north were 7am/6am flights out and 10am flights back. Add on an overnight stop at the airport, the extra money for doggy holiday cover and the fact that we'd have to be up at silly o'clock for the return flights meant that the Birmingham - Frankfurt - Innsbruck flights were the best option. If I had booked many months ago when I first raised the question I would probably have saved myself a couple of hundred quid, but hey ho that's the risk I took, and lost.

Flights depart at about 1pm and get us into Innsbruck at about 5.45pm local. Return flights depart at 14:30. So nice lazy breakfast, maybe a sneaky couple of runs before heading down the mountain to the Airport.

Transfers from Innsbruck -> Obergurgl and back again now.

Thanks all for their input.
latest report
ansta1, Looks like the most sensible option. Changing flights in Frankfurt is pretty straightforward and, IIRC, you will be transiting through the same terminal at FRA.

I know there are a few Snowheads who are based in Obergurgl, so it might be worth asking them for thoughts on transfers. It might also be worth talking to Inghams and Crystal, both of whom use Obergurgl. They may have space on a bus around the right time, although I suspect you may be a bit later arriving than ideal for their buses.
latest report
foxtrotzulu, That's my hope, my only slight worry is losing some of the luggage.. I am assuming that it will be transferred directly to the connecting flight. I am sure it will all go well and as some of the other parts of the family are driving, they may well take some or all of it anyway.

As for transfers, again might depend if the other folks fancy popping down the hill and picking us up from INN, if not there are plenty of options, Private transfer looks to be about 220 euros e/w which is reasonable in my view.

No to look at webcams and weather forecasts for the next 66 days..... Happy
ski holidays
ansta1,
Quote:

oxtrotzulu, That's my hope, my only slight worry is losing some of the luggage.. I am assuming that it will be transferred directly to the connecting flight. I am sure it will all go well
They're Germans, and it's Frankfurt. I have no doubt at all it will go extremely well Very Happy
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
We are also going to Obergurgl for that week. Leaving on 14th and staying in Innsbruck for the Friday night and then going on to Obergurgl on Saturday morning to stay in the Hotel Alpina.

Still deciding on car hire versus return transfers

ansta1, can I ask which transfer companies you are looking at?
snow report
Touchguru, we are also in the hotel alpina! Was looking to oetztaxi I think. Will check when I am back in front of pc.
snow report
ansta1, small world! Smile

We'll have to organise a ski then!
latest report
And a beer, Bil and daughter are better skiers than me so I will be playing tail end charlie methinks. Was thinking of booking a guide for a say for a bit of exploring maybe.
snow conditions
ansta1 wrote:
And a beer, Bil and daughter are better skiers than me so I will be playing tail end charlie methinks. Was thinking of booking a guide for a say for a bit of exploring maybe.

Definitely a beer or two!

I am keen for a guide if the snow is worth going touring for - although I will have to hire a touring setup or be within boot pack reach, as I am only bringing piste skis.
ski holidays
I don't have touring setup either, but boots are atomic trackers so if I can get touring skis and bindin. Bil has full set up but was thinking maybe just mornings off piste guiding rather than full on touring.

Will look into options
ski holidays
Sounds good
snow conditions
Touchguru, Please check out our website for details of our private transfers: www.whitedescents.com
Other companies in the area are:
Taxi Tipotsch / Austria taxi in Oetztal Bahnhof
Taxi Ossi in Obergurgl
Taxi Ulli in Oetz
Taxi Quaxi in Soelden
Taxi Lenz in Soelden
Four seasons travel in Innsbruck
latest report
Thanks whitedescents
snow report
Touchguru, depends on the group size but travelling alone or in a small group, the cheapest way of getting up to Obergurgl is to take a train from Innsbruck to Otztal station and then a public bus up to Obergurgl. The train takes about 45 mins and the bus about 90 mins. The last bus is about 7.30pm ish from Otztal.
ski holidays
Appreciate the advice Kelskii

I think for convenience sake, it will more than likely either be taxi transfer or a hire car.
ski holidays
Now if only ted from whitedescents gave snowheads a discount? I have a feeling there would be 2 return trip bookings in the next 24 hours!
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy