Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Munich to saalbach drive?

Poster: A snowHead
Is it a reasonable drive for a first timer. looking at a trip next season and looking at best way from munich to saalbach. i know easiest is transfer but we are looking at a split group one group flying out sunday and one coming out wednsday.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Samerberg Sue is the person to ask, she knows the roads in the area in her sleep! I would say it's an easy enough drive, 2-3 hours depending on traffic and mainly motorway. Make sure you buy one of those Austrian vignette thingies.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
mattiwilkin, it's about two and a half hours drive. No particular Problems at all. Coming from the Airport follow the signs for Salzburg onto the A8. At Siegsdorf ( junction 112 ) leave the A8 and onto the B308 direction Inzell, Traunstein then in Schneizlreuth follow the signs for Zell am See´and eventually for Saalbach.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Steilhang, yep, and for that route you don't need a vignette.

mattiwilkin, train is the other way. Airport to Ost Bahnhof, then to Worgl, change there for connection to Maishofen, then short taxi (or your accommo might pick you up). There are other routes - see www.diebahn.de - Takes about 4 hours but stress free and reliable.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Did the drive (to Zell am See) at Feb half term. Took me 3.5 hours taking Samerberg Sue's route avoiding the main congestion areas. Took about 3 hours on way back sticking to the main roads.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
mattiwilkin, Yes Bode Swiller is correct about not needing a vignette on that route but be aware the route from Siegsdorf through Inzell and then through the mountains to Lofer can easily be closed by snowfall or even very low temperatures. I would reckon it has been the case in something like a third of my 40 odd times on that route. Either alternative route to the east or west will require a vignette. Please do not forget or try and get away with it - its either about 10 euros for it or anything between 120 and 5000 euro fine without it.

As others say PM Samerberg Sue and ask politely to be given the secret routes and cut arounds wink The A8 from Munich all down through Bayern can be nothing more than a parking lot on a bad day or even just a Saturday in winter.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks all. Just seems most economic and probably most simple way of doing it. What are the vignettes and where do you buy those? what are the rule re snow chains etc and will they all be included in a hire car?
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
mattiwilkin, Vignette is a motorway toll windscreen sticker for Austria. Pop into a German service station and they'll flog you one where you pay for petrol.

Your car should come with winter tyres (but best ask that question of the hire co) and they are regulation in Austria. You'll need to book snow chains and pay a bit extra but in all likelihood, they'll never go near a wheel.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

train is the other way. Airport to Ost Bahnhof, then to Worgl, change there for connection to Maishofen, then short taxi (or your accommo might pick you up). There are other routes - see www.diebahn.de - Takes about 4 hours but stress free and reliable.

... but only one or two trains a day stop at Maishofen, which is basically an unmanned halt. No taxi rank and the bus stop is a good 10 minute walk away IF you know where it is. The station to use is Zell am See. The Postbus to Saalbach stops opposite the station and busses are timed to connect with the trains, although it can be a tight connection. Alternatively, the taxi rank is also opposite the station and it's usually easy to get a group together to share a minibus to Saalbach (if you're not already in a group). Taxi costs about €40-€50.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
mattiwilkin, Any service station or there are online sites you can pre-order and have them posted to you in advance? Try http://www.tolltickets.com/country/austria/vignette.aspx?lang=en-GB#articles

You would think it logical to be able to buy them at Munich Airport as probably 50% of cars hired there in the winter will be heading to Austria but they don't sell them?

If the road through to Lofer is closed you will have chances to buy a Vignette before you get on the Motorway. If Saalbach is going to be your only destination then I would wait and see? Then again for the sake of €8.30 it's one less thing to worry about, you wont have to stop as you'll not be needing fuel by the time you hit the Austrian border from Munich.

This site is good for all relevant motoring advice http://www.austria.info/uk/how-to-get-there/austria-by-road-1134817.html

I agree with Bode Swiller that you would be very unlikely to need chains to get to Saalbach. As long as you have winter tyres (and again do not chance it) then in my experience if the roads are bad enough to need chains then they are probably so bad they would be shut?

As for Germany itself I'm sure you'll be fine as there's no vignette (apart from city centres) and I don't think there's any winter motoring regulations that are stricter than in Austria but will stand corrected if need be?
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

I don't think there's any winter motoring regulations

....don't mention the dreaded winter tyre threads!! I did once, I think I got away with it!
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
robboj, lots of ways to get round them closing the B305/306 without using the A10 and B311! wink

Something to be aware of is the amount of damage the heavy rains have done to the non-motorway routes through the mountains. A couple of my variants are currently closed due to landslides and are not due to be worked on for a while yet as they are not considered key transit routes. whether they are re-opened or not depends a lot of how bad the damage is and whether they will get the opportunity of a dry spell to enable them to see how much shoring up the roads need. There is already one key section of the B305/306 that has suffered as a result of landslides in the past and it is still closed to HGVs (good thing too!) but it could just as easily get worse before it gets better.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

I agree with Bode Swiller that you would be very unlikely to need chains to get to Saalbach. As long as you have winter tyres (and again do not chance it) then in my experience if the roads are bad enough to need chains then they are probably so bad they would be shut?

If it's snowing that heavily they can get closed due to avalanche danger. The road in/out is fairly flat, I've always been fine with winter tyres.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Any reccomendations on car hire firm. read somewhere budget is away from the airport itself but they are by far and away cheapest just is it worth the hassle for 50 euro?
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
mattiwilkin, yeah you have to watch that business of being bussed out to an industrial estate to pick up car. Personally I'd rather do it on airport and not have the hassle... especially for the drop off. On airport renters include Sixt, Avis, National, Hertz. Brokers like Auto Europe and Holiday Autos use various so best to check.
snow report
Samerberg Sue wrote:
There is already one key section of the B305/306 that has suffered as a result of landslides in the past and it is still closed to HGVs (good thing too!)

Where's that Sue? Around Unken perhaps?
latest report
robboj, just after the turn off from the B305 before Schneizlreuth, where you join the road coming from Bad Reichenhall. I think all the heavy trucks for Saalfelden now have to come from the B21 via Salzburg or the Waidring route. Some of those roads (Kössen, Schletching, Aschau) are all compromised as a result of the heavy rains - Kössen was completely flooded and the Schletching road has been closed for a while because of rock slides/land slips. Now the Aschau-Sachrang road is closed and has been for a while now, again because of land slips. When they will be re-opened and whether they will be re-opened for HGVs is something I don't know right now. There are hundreds of smaller roads closed for through traffic all over the German and Austrian Alps, or have weight restrictions on them right now, and as it continues to rain and be a very wet spring/summer, there may well be a few more before we need to panic! wink Laughing
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy