Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

New Year Skiing

Poster: A snowHead
I am looking at going away over New Year skiing in Europe somewhere/anywhere, unfortunately im the only one with any money/motivation/interest of my known skiing friends so looking to either join or make a group. No preference as to whereabouts (cheaper the better i guess) but as long as i'm back in the UK for the 5th Jan 2014 am flexible with dates and departure points etc. I'm 32, male, teacher and intermediate/advanced skier based in the Midlands and enjoy the apres ski as much as the on piste skiing! get in touch if you are in a similar position.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hi mansize-rooster,

If you don't mind doing the travelling bit alone then we have space in our chalet Campanules for 29th Dec - 5th Jan.

The price for the week is £849, fully catered with no single supplement for a single room.

Details via my tag line below . . .

Happy planning!
Heather
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hi Heather thanks for that.

Am I assuming that does not include lift pass?? Will look into the travel bit and get back to you but was hoping to do the lot for a grand and I am guessing this will push the price and my bank manager over the edge!!
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Hi mansize-rooster,

It's fully catered but doesn't include travel, liftpass or hire.

There are price details for passes, hire etc and travel information on our website if it helps. But, by the time that you add everything in as you say it'll come to more than a grand. As I'm sure you know if you're a teacher unfortunately the peak weeks do push up the prices a bit and I think you'll be lucky to get everything included for that price in a single room at New Year unfortunately because most companies who are cheaper than us charge large single supplements.

When does your school term end? We've got 15th - 22nd Dec available with no single supplement too if you could do those dates? And depending on travel costs etc I think you should be able to do that week all-in for a grand.

Let me know your thoughts . . .

Heather
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Hi Heather,

Think the private sector may break up Dec 15th but us mere mortals in the state sector don't finish until Dec 20th so don't have much flexibility really.

At least it has given me an idea of the sort of costs involved. Will go away and see if i can bully/persuade others to join me to hopefully find something under that elusive grand mark!

Thanks for your help.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Hey mansize-rooster,

Not the easiest profession to book a holiday in is it? Hope you manage to find something which suits . . .

If you teach in a state school double check your Half Term and Easter dates as well because these aren't the same for every local authority and you might find that you have a week free which isn't a peak week.

In particular Easter is a good option this year for cheaper school-term holidays. Because it is late most companies are only charging peak prices for one week (in our case 6th - 13th April) but you will probably have either the week before or after as holiday too.

Hope that helps and that you find something to suit - good luck!
Heather
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
mansize-rooster, if you are a keen skier you might be interested in the holidays offered through Action Outdoors at UCPA centres in France. They are exceptional value with an all-in price which includes tuition (very good, and up to high levels included guided off piste, if you choose the right time and place), lift pass and full board. Equipment hire too, if you need it. You can get some holidays without tuition, though that is a good way to meet other skiers. There are a number of reports on UCPA here on snowheads, all positive and enthusiastic I think. I am too old for UCPA but daughter and son in law went and enjoyed it. Both teachers - went at half term to Flaine, but though the centre was excellent they found the slopes horribly crowded because it was a poor year for snow and the lower areas of the Grand Massif were unskiable.

You will get change from £1K, including your beer money.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thats great thank you, although have just had a look and at present they have nothing available although I guess it may be a bit early! Never heard of Action Outdoors but will certainly have a good look at it. Under 1k and beer money?? that would make me VERY happy!!

Thanks again Heather, I have travel plans at Easter so would be struggling...i just liked the idea of a bonus week away for New Year!!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
+ 1 for UCPA, went to L2A in April, best holiday ever! Will be going with them somewhere for my next trip.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
You might want to take a look at Chalet Chardons in Les Brevieres, Tigne.

They haven't posted this year's prices, but last year New Year was £349 chalet board. It's fairly basic, you'd be sharing, but has a great atmosphere.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Cheers for all the info folks...and using it all and still researching flights and accommodation combos!! actually enjoying the challenge in trying to piece together a NY trip.
Thanks Very Happy
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
mansize-rooster, the cheapest way of doing a trip with UCPA is to go to a centre where they do coach travel from London - they include Flaine. Some people complain mightily about coach travel but then some people are just lightweights. wink Nobody who has done long haul travel with small children (including two coach trips to the Alps) would think it much of a hardship for one healthy young adult on their own!!
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I take my hat off to any parent who travels long distances on coaches/trains or planes with small children in tow!

It was so much easier to chuck all the ski clothing etc in the caravan, put the skis in the roof box and the children in the car! We could leave when we chose (lol were sufficiently organised) go where we chose, and stop and sleep wherever and whenever we needed. We always had a bed for a sick child, or a loo, and some where to clean them up and make them comfy! Back in the day of cheaper fuel it was also about the cheapest way to do a ski trip!

We spent the millennium new year watching the firework display in Morzine, peak weeks did not work out dearer then any other weeks.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

I take my hat off to any parent who travels long distances on coaches/trains or planes with small children in tow!

It just takes a bit of organisation! And you can't get to the South Pacific in a caravan. wink
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
pam w wrote:
Quote:

And you can't get to the South Pacific in a caravan. wink

That`s very true,!
snow report
Quote:

And you can't get to the South Pacific in a caravan. wink

That`s very true!
ski holidays
Sorry about the double post, don`t think I`ve got the whole 'quote' thing quite sussed yet!
latest report
Hello, I can maybe help!

I have a quad room booked for the 28-12-13 to 4-1-14 but at the moment there are only 2 of us going! The hotel is Chalet Chardons in lower Tignes, noticed a friend above mentioned it. The room each is £350 catered.

We want to drive out and worked it out to cost about £80 each if there are 4 of us!

Could work out a cheap holiday if we fill the car.

Please get back if interested.

Cheers

Gar
snow report
Hi there,

That sounds really appealing. have had a look at the accommodation and looks just what i'm after really. What are the intentions of the 2 going? you boarding or skiing? level of ability? where are you based?

Thanks for the reply, very interested.
latest report
We will both be skiing, im at a ok standard, reds no problem, blacks ok. My friend Paul as not been for a few years so I will try and get him up in Tamworth before we go.

I cant believe how cheap the hotel is to be honest for new year, that price includes breakfast and 3 course meal with wine!

Paul is 28 and I am 32, we are work colleagues, Paul will be liking the après ski, he likes a drink, I cant handle it now but will for sure give it a go.

I have contacted the hotel just to see if they have still kept the 2 beds, not got back to me yet>

I live in Newport and Paul in Cardiff.

I will let you know regarding the rooms mate.

Gareth
ski holidays
ok, sounds good to me. Keep me informed as im genuinely keen and as you say the price is good for that time of year.
snow report
pam w wrote:
mansize-rooster, if you are a keen skier you might be interested in the holidays offered through Action Outdoors at UCPA centres in France. They are exceptional value with an all-in price which includes tuition (very good, and up to high levels included guided off piste, if you choose the right time and place), lift pass and full board. Equipment hire too, if you need it. You can get some holidays without tuition, though that is a good way to meet other skiers. There are a number of reports on UCPA here on snowheads, all positive and enthusiastic I think. I am too old for UCPA but daughter and son in law went and enjoyed it. Both teachers - went at half term to Flaine, but though the centre was excellent they found the slopes horribly crowded because it was a poor year for snow and the lower areas of the Grand Massif were unskiable.

You will get change from £1K, including your beer money.
This looks like a great idea for me actually, though I still want to go on one of the SH bashs next year Smile.
snow conditions
Chalet Chardon is very basic. Food et al. Go with right attitude and its fine. Stayed there a few years ago.
You have to think about getting back in late afternoon or evening from the other Tignes villages. If you do not ski back note there are No buses to Tignes le Brevieres. Our gambit was to take the free bus down to the Turning point in Tignes Le Boisses (not the stop near the main road) and ski down in the dark. By definition you should always do this with a partner just in case you fall and hurt yourself.
Tignes Le Brev is very quiet at night. Just a couple of bars.
snow report
Mansize-rooster, if you are still looking I am finding myself in a similar position where my ski buddies are poor, cant come for whatever reason and I am considering something like Flaine with UCPA but always good to combine with others and their prices are now live so they are charging £821 for new year including a coach from Victoria London (I dont love the idea of getting to Victoria but never mind).

I will be 30 and I am a professional working in the IT industry, can ski blues comfortably but far from experienced.
snow conditions
If your dates are flexible singlesport is in DEux Alpes 21 Dec (cheaper than New Year) Please get in touch if its poss for you BW Ruth
ski holidays
I too am looking at ucpa flaine over new year catching the snow express coach.
Is this still a consideration for you?
ski holidays
I'd like to go too. I do prefer Austria though and since it's new year a lively town wouldn't hurt! I'm 30 year old male and can ski most runs so long as they aren't moguls and there aren't any sheer drops.
ski holidays
I may well be in L2A for xmas week and I'm looking to add a second week somewhere close by.
Might well be looking for car-share back.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I'm all booked ucpa la plagne, on the snow bus, with full time instruction
Pete_Berks, did you book after, flaine is sold out now hence the switch to la plagne
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy