Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

So who's buying an airbag rucksack for next season?

Poster: A snowHead
Avalanche Academy wrote:
Anyway, regarding airbag weights, I have yet to find any airbags at 2.5kg. I've personally weighed most of those on the market, and they are all around 3kg. Some list their weight without gas cylinder (a bit sneaky I think). BCA Float 32 is 2.9kg. Regarding the Mammut RAS packs, I was actually in the Mammut shop today in Chamonix and discussed airbag weight with the guy who works there. He said the only way to get a pack down to 2.5kg is to strip off the hip belt, the internal frame, and all accessory straps - "without doing that they all weigh around 3kg".

Tim "SnowShepherd"
Any chance you could confirm or disprove this statement with a new bag on your post scales ??
The website claimed weight of a Snowpulse/Mammut Rocker Protection Airbag 15L is 2250g with the airbag in the pack and no cylinder.
I would expect this to be the case +- 5% for manufacturing tolerances

Phil
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Bca float 22 is 2kg + cylinder 650gm = 2.65 KG . http://www.backcountryaccess.com/product/float-22/ Noticeably lighter than my guide'sABS for day off piste.

Maybe the Mammut guy was talking his own book?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Haggis_Trap wrote:
So finally opened my wallet and pulled the trigger on a Mammut 22L Ride RAS.
Have promised myself an airbag for a few years (though don't ever intend on pulling the trigger in anger!)

Really pleased with it. Most importantly it is a great pack and not too heavy so will happily use it every ski day. Hummed and hawed between the 22L and 30L version.

I invested in a 22L one last year, from Tim and have found it just right for a day /tour bag. (though don't carry quite as much gear as you).
Had no problems using lifts with the bag on, whereas a 30L would be more awkward.
I have fitted the bladder /tube from my old Camelbak snoblast bag and threaded the tube through the bag handle which accommodates the airbag cable.
It does say not to do this!! but it was to convenient not to, prevents freeze up and I cant really see any way the tube can prevent the bag from deploying. (shout me down if nec!). The bladder fits nicely just under the airbag.
It would better if both handles had internal provision for a tube tho' instead of the external loops.
The bag is quite inconspicuous unlike say ABS which have the large logo and I feel comfortable using the bag as a normal rucksack for travel with the airbag removed.

I see there is now an option for carbon cylinders, does this purely reduce weight or are there other advantages ?

All in it seems a really good piece of kit imo

Dave
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
scarbski wrote:

I see there is now an option for carbon cylinders, does this purely reduce weight or are there other advantages ?

Purely weight savings IMHO
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Prehaps stick with the original cyl' then, or wait and see what santa brings Smile
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Having skied with both steel and carbon cylinders it is definitely worth going carbon, the weight difference is significant and the carbon is so light as to make no appreciable difference to the weight of the sack itself.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Hi guys,

A couple of quick questions:

Can I carry skis vertically on the Ortovox Free Rider 26?

And would the Ortovox Tour 32 + 7 be too large for lift-served/day tours?
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Fergus wrote:

LMGTFY, etc. The product page lists "X" ski carry, so that's diagonal only. This is pretty common... A-frame ski carry would interfere with airbag deployment. Far as I'm aware, only the big bags from Mammut and Mystery Ranch do vertical ski carry.

Fergus wrote:

How is a bag ever too large? Like, too large to fit on the lift, or something? It might be inappropriate for the amount of stuff you carry, I guess. Can you fit everything you need into a 22l bag? If so, 32l is probably unnecessary wink

It also depends very much on what you were expecting to do. My 22l bag is good for most things, but I do fill it right up. If I wanted to stuff crampons in it too, then something else will have to go. It definitely wouldn't be much use if I had to carry rope. So, yeah. Only you can really answer this question!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

How is a bag ever too large?

For lift served skiing a bag can easily be too large. If you want to keep it on when your on a chairlift (maybe not a great idea but most people do, except in Canada where you get yelled at and the liftie will even stop the chair if you ignore them Embarassed ), it needs to be flat against your back, so a large pack will need good compression straps to work well when only carrying a few items. Looking at the photos of the Tour 32+7 it looks like it would be too big for this. Sure, you can cope, you can take it off for a start, but it looks like it might be a pain if you wanted to sit on a chair lift with it on. I'm also not sure I like that top heavy design, surely having bulk at the top is the worst place for stability?
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Anyone upgrading this year to a newer model, and fancies selling me there Snowpulse Prorider 15L or 22L ??
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Unwise to keep a rucksack on when getting on the lift, most tourers take them off, the consequences of a strap catching and being whipped around the lift are not worth the risk, the lifties are not always quick on the button. It's easy to let go when it's in your hand.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
The only time I've ever caught a strap is when carrying the sack. When on I make sure there are no dangling bits to catch. It's wearing a sack and leaving the waist strap undone that tends to cause the problems as the buckles fall through the gaps in the seating and jam. I always wear a rucksack when on the lifts these days and just ensure a) that there are no dangling bits, and b) that the sack is free just before I reach the top.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
qwertyuiop7 wrote:
Anyone upgrading this year to a newer model, and fancies selling me there Snowpulse Prorider 15L or 22L ??

Probably no good for you but I am going to be selling a 2012/13 22L BCA Float in black/grey/yellow , unused i.e. I bought it for my wife and then she had an early season injury which meant she didn't use it. Just received the "recall" trigger cable. Bag & cartridge are in Haute Savoie, France(may still have the tags on, can't remember!), not back in UK till Jan 5. Looking for c £375, currently £549(?) with snow shepherd - http://shop.snowshepherd.co.uk/epages/es122028.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/es122028/Products/bcafloat22 . Its a nice bag, I use that one myself, it cinchs down for chairlifts and its quite "tidy" for straps.

Not putting it up on For Sale yet as don't have pics, long delivery etc...but PM if you think that might work.

If you are local to me I'll be in France/Grand Massif from the 13th Dec so might be possible to pick up/dleiver though not sure about sending filled cartridges.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I just bought a Mammut Ride RAS 30L. Really impressed by the pack. Seems to have everything I want. I have one question though. I am in the US and bought the refillable canister. I know I can fly with it if I empty it and remove the valve. My question is, does anyone know where in either Geneva or Chamonix I can get the canister filled? It says most scuba or paintball places will fill it.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I did a little review on my blog.

I compared the 30 liter Abs Airbag and the "Protection Airbag" from Mammut.

http://alloffpiste.com/skiing/abs-avalanche-backpack-vs-mammut-protection-airbag-system/
ski holidays
On the rocks wrote:
I'm really in two minds about buying one. I ski off-piste around 4 weeks a year, sometimes with guides, other times with mates, including some touring. Current avalanche avoidance tactics based mainly on being aware of slope aspect, recent wind direction, weather etc. Not an expert by any means but some experience built up from many years climbing before starting skiing. On balance I'm probably cautious in missing out on some good relatively safe skiing rather than being gung ho.

Cost - well accept that skiing is not a cheap sport. How do people find the extra weight? Extra hassle of flying? (I've read the sticky in equipment and Tim Shepherd's info) and is anyone tempted to go at a slope with an airbag they may otherwise give a miss? (be honest now)

I'm attracted by versatility of the Vario system

Update: I've just received my Mammut ABS ride 30 with carbon cylinder with excellent service from Snow Shepherd. I'm very pleased with my choice; the backpack looks to be extremely well made, practicable and durable. However I was about to make a complaint then I thought the cardboard cylinder case was empty, but the cylinder was in the box - just incredibly light. I really hope I don't have to use it....
latest report
A very informative article on the topic, lol! wink

http://bombsnow.com/archives/skier-buys-airbag-gopro-now-ready-for-the-backcountry
ski holidays
My Scott Air 30 RAS stock arrived today for anyone who wants to peruse.
snow conditions
I am going to be selling a 2012/13 22L BCA Float in black/grey/yellow , unused i.e. I bought it for my wife and then she had an early season injury which meant she didn't use it. Just received the "recall" trigger cable. Bag & cartridge are in Haute Savoie, France(may still have the tags on, can't remember!), not back in UK till Jan 5. Looking for c £375

Please keep me posted if/when you want to sell and are back in London as I am interested.

Thanks.
latest report
Zermattandchips wrote:
I am going to be selling a 2012/13 22L BCA Float in black/grey/yellow , unused i.e. I bought it for my wife and then she had an early season injury which meant she didn't use it. Just received the "recall" trigger cable. Bag & cartridge are in Haute Savoie, France(may still have the tags on, can't remember!), not back in UK till Jan 5. Looking for c £375

Please keep me posted if/when you want to sell and are back in London as I am interested.

Thanks.

PM sent.

But for anyone else, I have now had 2 (3 including Zerm'n'chips) interested parties so I will come back to the collective with a firm offer if this doesn't go ahead. Have a great and safe weekend.
snow report
Just purchased a Mammut RAS 18L pack and cartridge.
Was talking to Dad about avalanches and he got so concerned he bought it for me as an expensive birthday present. I'm spending the season in St. anton again though so well worth the black friday price of 490euro with cartridge Laughing
snow conditions
mbydmt wrote:
Just purchased a Mammut RAS 18L pack and cartridge.
Was talking to Dad about avalanches and he got so concerned he bought it for me as an expensive birthday present. I'm spending the season in St. anton again though so well worth the black friday price of 490euro with cartridge Laughing

That's cheap, where was that from ??
snow report
German site bergfreunde.de (found below), also cheap for the bigger bags as well.

http://www.bergfreunde.de/mammut-rocker-removable-airbag-18-lawinenrucksack/?aid=63b8c153303fd3283a2ea7b3ca0570c7

Sign up to the newsletter for 5euro off. Paid by paypal and it came in at about £420. Should be sitting in Austria when I arrive this coming week Toofy Grin
snow report
I'm in the process of upgrading my BCA Float 30 to a newer model. There is a recall on the earlier versions, but as my bag is one of the ones that needs to be returned to have the recall (most can be done at home, it's just replacing the pull cable, but mine's stitched in place so has to go back), I've worked out a deal with them to get an 'upgrade' to the current model for £notalot.

I'll let you all know how it compares when I get it..

I still need to find somewhere local who can do a canister refill for the BCA tho
ski holidays
mbydmt, An 18 lt pack is fine for riding on chairs with Smile
snow report
Avalanche Poodle, my theory was my DakineHeli 20L was always enough, I'm not going touring so should be great as a day pack. If I get into touring next year or whatever then its upgradeable.
snow conditions
I tend to go larger rather than smaller with packs. You can always strap a baggy pack down, but you're limited to how much more you can stuff in a small bag before something goes rip Smile
ski holidays
Yup, but you can always make a roll with a jacket or sleeping bag and kip mat and strap it to the top of a smaller bag. I have the Vario 18 but also have the 25lt in case of longer touring trips, but just never had the need so for as all of mine have just been single days.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Serriadh wrote:
Fergus wrote:

LMGTFY, etc. The product page lists "X" ski carry, so that's diagonal only. This is pretty common... A-frame ski carry would interfere with airbag deployment. Far as I'm aware, only the big bags from Mammut and Mystery Ranch do vertical ski carry.

Fergus wrote:

How is a bag ever too large? Like, too large to fit on the lift, or something? It might be inappropriate for the amount of stuff you carry, I guess. Can you fit everything you need into a 22l bag? If so, 32l is probably unnecessary wink

It also depends very much on what you were expecting to do. My 22l bag is good for most things, but I do fill it right up. If I wanted to stuff crampons in it too, then something else will have to go. It definitely wouldn't be much use if I had to carry rope. So, yeah. Only you can really answer this question!

So I went for the Ortovox Tour 24. Not got a huge amount of space in it, but I think It will do for most of what I'll be using it for.

With regards to ski carrying, it is possible to carry skis vertically, in an A-frame type affair, however it probably impedes on the inflation of the airbags.
snow report
Fergus, True, but for most hikes up ridges avi's are not of major importance Smile
snow report
I would add that the carbon Snowpulse cartridge is both lighter and much smaller than the refillable at least. That means, of course, it takes up less room and which can be filled with heavier stuff.
snow conditions
Well I bought a Mammut RAS 30 backpack with carbon cylinder from Snowshepherd. I've used it for two trips so far. I'm very pleased with the set up.

The weight with the carbon cylinder is far less than I expected and not really noticeable compared to by regular pack once loaded with shovel, probe, water bottle etc.

The removable system is great for using the sack on its own as carry on luggage, and has ample space to avoid exceeding the weight limit on hold baggage.

I'm not very tall but the back length felt fine to me. The ski carriage system worked really well even carrying my Preachers during steep boot packing.

When the pack is not full the compression straps work really well to reduce the depth so I can wear it on chair lifts no problem

All in all a very well designed, constructed and durable piece of kit. I just hope I never have to pull the handle
latest report
On the rocks, +1 Happy

Only one niggle, I found the cylinder very hard to screw in to the connector the first time I did it, and then even harder to remove, but it seems OK now.

It's a good size, packs down flat enough to ride on lifts without taking it off (I know, probably shouldn't, but I do). I only had it filled up when travelling and using as my carry on bag, very comfy even when loaded down.

I think the 22L version would be fine for lift served and short tours too, but I'm very pleased with the 30L.
ski holidays
sah, I've never known a problem using a small rucksack with the buckles done up, but I see loads of people with waistbelts still flapping around or done up behind them. I once caught a buckle when I took a larger pack off, as I got off the chair it flipped round and caught behind a strut.
ski holidays
Re. the postings on and after 8 Oct [click on following link], the controversy over the ABS video and the filming for the Ford advert that resulted in the near-fatal avalanche ...

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=100856&start=40#2360883

... there is now some controversy about the Ford advert itself ...

Ford faces scrutiny for avalanche advert [Financial Times / Tom Robbins]
http://www.ft.com/cms/s/2/c2a5d4d2-786f-11e3-a148-00144feabdc0.html#axzz2q1FA3nf7
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy