Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Advice needed for boarder - to buy or not to buy......

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I imagine I'm not the only one in this position but I've checked out the kit page and there's no threads for boarder kit related questions. So:

At present I'm riding a Morrow blaze budget 2004 board with bindings thrown in ala TSA. I've acquired a new pair of boots which I love (Salomon Synapse's). I managed to bust one of the bindings last March and enjoyed the ignomous ride down on the lift back to Morzine village where a guy from (something Fly) gave me a new Ride strap upon donation rather than payment. Needless to say my donation was generous and an offer of taking him out for the night. The bindings have never been right and I now feel that I need a set up I can throw around more rather than feeling like I'm parking a Volvo estate.

Finance is an issue but I'd rather get it right than have to fork out next year, esp' given I may be moving to Canada next year. From reading posts it seems levels of importance run in the order of: boots, bindings then board. Prior to this post I very nearly pressed 'buy' on a pair of Burton's but given price tag thought better of it and hoped for advice. Any set-up advice welcome.

Standard = early (enthusiastic intermediate) wanting to get into kickers, jibbing as well as suave carving.

Thanks again,

Andy

Bindings link:

http://www.snowboard-asylum.com/cgi-bin/psProdDet.cgi/802706||@cSnowboard%20Bindings@bBurton|0|user|1,0,0,1|9|
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
You have boots so your sorted there. Bindings - based on your post I think you'll want straps rather than flows. I have flows and luv em but they are suited for freeriders more than jibbers. Burton Capstraps are popular at the moment and Ride Bindings (Tomcat, Flight) are also highly rated and both are easily available in the UK. Avoid the K2 Cinch IMHO. Salomon also do some decent bindings too and may compliment your boots. I know someone who has the SP4's and they are very nice indeed (for straps! NehNeh ).

As for board - Unless your a pro I reckon All Mountain is best (rather than a jib specific board). I ride a Ride Timeless 161 which is a freeride deck. I sometimes wish I had an All Mountain but I'm in my thirties and my thing is piste and powder with little jumps. Here is a list of boards which I would look at if I was in your position -

Cheap(ish)
=======

Option Redline
-----------------
(currently outsells all other boards at the moment I was recently told). Good value all mountain board and Option make good decks.

GNU Carbon Highbeam
---------------------------
A value for money legend. Never gets a bad review.

More Pricy but worth every penny
======================

Nitro Suprateam
Option Makinenen
Burton Custom
K2 Zeppelin
Lib Tech TRS

Size of board will depend on your weight and your height. Feet over size 10 may get you into wide board territory aswell. Worth an extra mention for the Suprateam as I have chatted with a few shop assistants in Snow and Rock and TSA and this is the board they rate.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Stay away from flows.. hehe .. let the abuse begin...

sorry not very helpful I know.. but nothing wong with the K2 cinch bindings I bought last year.. but probably too heavy if jibbing.. Like Phil am in me 30's so riding piste and sinking in powder is more my thing.. especially as i have developed a bit of a belly since last year Shocked

one piece of advice.. bring yer boots when trying bindings.... (sorry maybe a bit obvious..but) ....although I did last year, once on the snow I found my boot size caused a bit of a prob when trying to use the easy in - easy out (ooh er misuss) system of the cinch bindings on actual snow.... thankfully cos of a real problem with heal lift in my old dialogue's.. I'm buying new boots end of the month... Synapse sound the way to go Very Happy
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

but probably too heavy if jibbing

Oisin - i've always wondered why people say this.........a couple of ounces heavier possibly Puzzled but that's nothing once you've stuck a snowboarder on top of a board Confused ???
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
saxabar, you don't say which length board you would need.

Anyway, there's a Lib Tech TRS 157 for sale on ebay at the moment - 150 quid (with postage), no bids yet - ends today.

Lib Tech boards are really good boards.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I love the all mountain boards too, you can do anything with them (ok, anything within my ability) and the go fast when you want. I have a Never Summer which I love. It takes some serious punishment and is still in good nick. One thing is that it's heavy but it's worth it.

As for bindings, I have been a Flows man for a few years now but I'm going to try out straps a bit this year. Flows are great if you are in a group with skiers or other flow rides. If you are with strp people then the advantage is reduced. BTW Drake F60s are good if you are looking for straps
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Dan, Probably true... my input is limited on this one as the best I can do is ride fakie ... any attempts at anything else usually ends in great guwaffs of laughter Very Happy from my mates. I 'm comfortable at speed and enjoy wading through powder to get back on piste Laughing I freeride and like to carve.. jibbing so far hasn't been mything... but I haven't given up wink

But the K2 cinnch's are heavy, probably about twice as heavy as my 5 year old liquids... not sure about this seasons.. but I love 'em anyhow
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Diarmuid, I've just sold my F60s for 20 quid - I agree they are decent bindings, although I'm hooked on capstraps now.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I'm hooked on FLOWs i've had one pair now for 2ish years and been superb! Got no need for changing back at the moment Toofy Grin

I've found that Salamon boots fits flows quite well, some others i've found didn't feel right so when you've got your boots make sure the bindings fit the boot well!
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I tried some new Burton P1s on in store and didn't like them at all! Felt very sloppy. I tried on endless numbers of bindings, and by far liked the Rome 390s the best. TSA has them for 50 quid cheaper than the P1s you were looking at:
http://www.snowboard-asylum.com/cgi-bin/psProdDet.cgi/802717||@cSnowboard%20Bindings@bRome|0|user||3|
Also worth looking at, in a similar price range are Burton Cartels, which I'd chose over P1s even at the same price:
http://www.snowboard-asylum.com/cgi-bin/psProdDet.cgi/802705||@cSnowboard%20Bindings@bBurton|0|user|1,0,0,1|9|
And Salomon SPX Pros:
http://www.snowboard-asylum.com/cgi-bin/psProdDet.cgi/802720||@cSnowboard%20Bindings@bSalomon|0|user|1,0,0,1|4|

Have only used the Rome 390s on the mountain once, but loved them. Talked to a guy who rides for Rome as an amature, and he used prototypes for the binding all through last season, 100+ days, and thinks they're great.
As for a board for you, I'd suggest:
Nitro - Suprateam or Team
Rome - Agent or Solution
Option - Makinen or Redline
Lib Tech - TRS
The Redline, Solution, and Team are all great value, all around boards. Looking at the TSA site, the only ones they've got of the boards I've listed are the Rome Agent and Solution, but the Solution is an excellent board at 300 quid. Also, check around and see if you can get last season's boards for cheaper.
In my opinion, the best buys for you from the TSA site would be (listed in order of price, not necessarily quality): Burton Custom (400), Rome Agent (380), K2 Zepplin (370), Ride Theory (350), Salomon Prospect (320), Rome Solution (300), Icon Wallpaper (200).
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Ponder,

Before reading this message I've been out shopping. I've just bought a pair of the SPX Salomon bindings and have been drooling over the Rome Solution (163). Had girlfriend in tow so couldn't justify circa £500 or thereabouts. Methinks the board might be a sneaky online purchase.

Andy
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Salomon bindings are well made - durable, comfortable, and the "fast-fit" is a nice bonus - you should definitely be happy with them. The Solution is an excellent board, and if you can get a good deal on it, go for it. But if you have to skimp out somewhere money-wise, skimp on the board.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy