Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Kids Slalom Ski Tuning

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Sorry if I'm asking a daft question, having recently take the plunge and splashed out on skis for the kids we now have 6 sets of skis to be maintained.

I've read Spyderjon's guide on his excellent website but wanted some advice particularly with regard to edge angles for kids skis.

My 2 boys (8 and 6) have Rossi RSX Radical 120s which I think are 1,1. Does anyone have advice on changing the edge angle for kids. They ski predominantly on plastic apart from the 1 week a year when we escape to the alps.

Thanks

Jon
(a rather confused beginner ski tuner)
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
It may not be important for a year or two, but I would probably move them on to a 2 degree (8Cool side angle, as it will help. I don't think you need to think of anything higher until the next pair of skis.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Both my kids (top U14 seed and U8 wanabee) ski with a 2deg edge. Largely because I can't be bothered with changing it between them but mostly because it works!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I'm not an expert but I have recently bought some elan junior race ski's for my daughter (Cool, the sticker on the skis said 0.5 and 2.5 so I have kept them like that and she seems to manage fine. On her previous skis (age 6-7) I tuned the side edge to 2 degrees because I already had a 2 degree angle guide and again absolutely fine.

Personally if your kids are starting to 'carve' and looking to get bigger angles I would maybe increase the edge angle a bit but I suspect they will not notice too much at their age/stage of development. Probably more important to keep them well tuned whatever angle they're at.

I am guessing here, but I suspect changing the base angle may have more impact ie if I was buying a ski just for racing on plastic I would be tempted to go for a small base edge like 0.5 degrees which may give you quicker turn initiation. Although you would only do this to your existing skis after a base grind.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks all - will try 2 deg edge angle and leave the bases alone for now.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
jonathancarty, Leave them at 88 Deg; but make sure they are really sharp. And warn the kids they are sharp. My son has cut himself a couple of times(he is 12) on his edges (also at 8Cool. Maybe not too sharp for the 6yo!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
RobW is on the money I reckon. Anyway Jon sells the moonflex diamonds and holders (88 degree if you desire) which give a good clean edge, without the "lose a finger chef's cleaver sharp" effect that a file gives you. My daughter is more than happy with results, and this is in regional dry slope racing.

I still think the most important thing is the mantra "poles to release bindings NOT skis!" if you want them to look after the bases.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
andrew e wrote:

I still think the most important thing is the mantra "poles to release bindings NOT skis!" if you want them to look after the bases.

Indeed!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
we use 2 and 0.5 for our 10 yr old and 8 yr old.

There was some talk about going up for the 10 year old next year (his new part sponsored skis have arrived), but it was just that, talk
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy