Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

October skiing?

Poster: A snowHead
I can't say I'd be terribly excited by the Saas Fee glacier.... And the village is not that special IMO...
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
nozawaonsen wrote:
Claude B wrote:
1000m of vertical officially open at L2A on opening day (today) http://www.easiski.com/blog1/

Though today's conditions are not an especially good predictor of Octobers.

absolutely, my earlier post states that it deteriorates throughout the summer!
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:

my earlier post states that it deteriorates throughout the summer!

There are sometimes quite big dumps of snow in October (I've been caught out a few times, at 1500m, having to use chains because of not having winter tyres on). It doesn't last long though, not even at high altitude sometimes. I've also been baking hot walking in shorts and T shirt in October.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
pam w, That's exactly what happened when I went in 2010. The minibus from Geneva to Tignes Les Boisses struggled on the last few miles as they hadn't changed their tyres and the chains weren't in the boot. This was the view the next morning (at Les Boisses, around 1800m?), all gone a couple of days later.

Tignes
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
OK so my next question would be, does anyone know of any ski holiday companies that do October skiing holidays? A couple of people have mentioned Mountainsun, but it would be good to compare prices. So have any of you glacier skiing peeps used a company to book your holiday with out of season, and if so who would you recommend? wink
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Difficult to beat Mountain Sun on price if you factor in the transfer from GVA.

If you are restricted to half term make sure you pack your patience. The glacier will be busy.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
under a new name wrote:
Samerberg Sue wrote:
under a new name, Bigger areas maybe? Plus better Après. If you have not tried it perhaps it is time to take a look and broaden your horizons wink

Broaden my horizons? You mean there is skiing worth doing somewhere other than Chamonix?

of course. Haven't you heard of Chatel...?
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Another vote for Mountainsun - very hard to beat for price and convenience. Very good value.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Where is the nearest glacier skiing to Morzine? Seeing those great pics on pg1 makes me think of some early season adventures!!
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
dennisp wrote:
Where is the nearest glacier skiing to Morzine? Seeing those great pics on pg1 makes me think of some early season adventures!!

Verbier or les Diablerets.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
dennisp, I wasn't aware that Verbier opened for "Summer" skiing. Cervinia may be, or Tignes.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
dennisp, Why not go skiing in Avoriaz.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
dennisp, the sensible answer is probably Tignes.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Morzine to Les Diablerets 1hr 35m
Morzine to Tignes 2hr 40m

pretty sure that Les Diablerets offers summer skiing.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Ricklovesthepowder, Les Diablerets is pretty, but rather flat.
snow report
Les Diablerets offers autumn skiing by the look of the website - but it certainly looks flat in this picture.
latest report
pam w, i think most if not all european glacier skiing is pretty flat?
snow report
under a new name, not that flat! There is plenty of gradient adequate for top class racers - when we were in Tignes with Inside Out in October the French men's team was there. I went up a T bar with one of the coaches - I felt I should be skiing better afterwards by some kind of osmosis.
latest report
under a new name wrote:

World of difference between Les Diablarets and Stubai and Hintertux in my experience. Have you been to any of them outside of winter (not meant to be rude just curious!)
latest report
pam w, nozawaonsen, i've only skied Tignes in and out of winter. It's pretty flat, I would say! At least if you are restricted to the glaciated slopes. But enough gradient for good gates and bumps training, clearly.

Oddly, given that I ski reasonably frequently and have skied reasonably a few places, I have never skied in Austria. Something I really should remedy.
ski holidays
Willing to bet Les Diablarets would strike you as flat. It's scenic, but flat.
latest report
As glaciers go, Tignes isn't all that flat. The lower runs (served by the two draglifts) are fairly gentle but other than that, there are some very decent pitches, including a couple of runs graded as black - probably should be red but each with a steeper section. Good fun.
ski holidays
IIRC there are some pretty steep pitches up the top in La Plagne - not always open even in winter, and not open in summer/autumn though. It was a very long time ago I was there - the memory is very hazy.

I found the slopes at Tignes - and Les Deux Alpes - absolutely fine for lessons, when you don't (not at my sort of level, anyway) need anything very steep. For working on the basics blue/red is perfect.

But yes, anyone seeking the kind of range of skiing available even in small resorts in winter is likely to be disappointed, even if conditions are pretty good. It's not that it's not worth doing (I have profited a good deal from my glacier trips), it's just that there are so many other things to do in the Alps, especially in summer.

And the racers are a pain. There have always been lots when I've done glacier skiing, which means the terrain left for the mere mortals is very restricted indeed. But that doesn't matter one jot when you are having lessons - in Tignes we spent three mornings with Evolution II on the same blue run.
ski holidays
under a new name wrote:
[

Oddly, given that I ski reasonably frequently and have skied reasonably a few places, I have never skied in Austria. Something I really should remedy.

Told you so! Toofy Grin wink Laughing

Of the Austrian glaciers I know really well, none of them can be said to be even remotely as flat as Les Diablerets, other than perhaps Pitztal/Riffelsee which is only flatter by comparison with the many others I have skied. As a result it is where where I go with more nervous skier friends who want to have a play before the season really gets going..

Standing at the top of the Gefrorene Wand at Hinterux when it is very cloudy and with limited vis, I have the urge to turn round and go back down in the gondola, but that is because I know how steep it is in all directions at first! When there is no cloud, I have a fantastic time skiing down to wherever it is I want to play! I don't do white outs very well, usually getting very motion sick as a result! Embarassed
snow conditions
under a new name wrote:

I can only speak for Stubai, which does have some reasonable onpiste pitches (nothing that steep though). Some serious offpiste steeps.
snow conditions
Mr Health and Safety says "Careful off piste in the summer - some nasty drops and gaps in the snow which won't be there in the winter". End of public information spiel.
snow conditions
dobby, indeed, but we're talking about October (admittedly the holes are often still there, as in my pictures earlier).
snow report
Can't wait to ski again. I really enjoyed Val T and Tignes. You may also come to skii in Zermatt or Saas- Fee in Switzerland Happy http://www.j2ski.com/ski_resorts/Switzerland/Saas_Fee.html .
Lucky you!!! I will have to wait until December...!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

we're talking about October

when the holes will be covered in a thin new layer of snow. Blush
latest report
pam w, well, yeah:

Quote:

we're talking about October (admittedly the holes are often still there, as in my pictures earlier).

snow conditions
Quote:
I can't say I'd be terribly excited by the Saas Fee glacier....
I've been twice. And was. But then again I'm excited by any skiing....on any snow.....at any time...and anywhere Smile. My acid test, from when I learned to ski, is to ask myself the following question: Is it better than the 90m plastic slope at Spectrum Ski Slope, County Durham? 25 years, 15 countries, over 160 ski areas and several hike-to snow patches later I have yet to answer 'no' Very Happy. And on that easily pleased note, and weather permitting, I (and three like minded skiers) are aiming at a 600 mile round trip at the weekend to hike/skin/ski the remaining snow at Cairngorm Mountain - should be great!

Quote:
Saas Fee....the village is not that special IMO.
Shocked Each to their own of course under a new name, but (see note above re. no of resorts visited) I would be interested to hear where you would regard as special? IMO Saas Fee is just about chocolate-box perfect.

Mind I did once hear of a friend of a friend who flew over the Grand Canyon and grudginly admitted it was 'ok' - before adding 'But I've never been one for views.....' Laughing
snow report
mountainaddict wrote:
But then again I'm excited by any skiing....on any snow.....at any time...and anywhere Smile. My acid test, from when I learned to ski, is to ask myself the following question: Is it better than the 90m plastic slope at Spectrum Ski Slope, County Durham?

This is exactly how I feel. I don't care about the nightlife, I don't care how pretty the villages are etc. etc. all I care about is whether or not there is a snowy slope to be skied upon, somewhere warm and dry to sleep, and somewhere that serves food and wine of some description. Oh, and if the kids are with us, a great crèche for little'un, and a good ski school for the not so little'un.

If those boxes are ticked, I am one happy little (snow)bunny! wink
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy