Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Taking kids out of school - just check the rules first

Poster: A snowHead
Oh too funny, I have a friend with a Chalet in Verbier who has a son called Oscar!!

Actually he earns that much he pretty much goes when he fancies it, and a grand one way or another won't matter.

Fee paying schools have longer holidays so get a cheap ski holiday, and you can go without the kids if they are boarders.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Layne wrote:
Quote:

I'm perplexed that I never hear of this issue in either Germany (where I live) or in the U.S. (where I am originally from). Can someone explain the uniqueness of the UK situation?

French, German and Austrian school holidays are all staggered over several weeks.

In the US holidays are often staggered, especially the March Spring Break period. However, skiing is more of a weekend past time, rather than a week long holiday and some schools seem to expect kids to be pulled out early every Friday. I don't know anyone who goes on week long holidays using a TO. People tend to do shorter trips, adding on days of leave from work to weekends to stretch their holiday allowance - two weeks leave a year is normal, rather than four.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
skinanny, I see you are in Reno, but have to totally disagree. I'm American, and from Washington, D.C. Many people travel for week long vacations. I think what you are describing are those that already live close to resorts in the West. And, I'm not sure what the relevance is of yours or the previous poster on staggered holidays. Finally, you are right about U.S. people not using a TO. I'm totally perplexed by the UK penchant for TO's and chalet's. It would drive me nuts. I like my flexibility, and enjoy booking things myself.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
boofit, you may find a lot of people here don't use TOs
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
oleksii wrote:
Out of curiosity, 2 questions to those who think taking kids off for term time holidays is OK:

Would you as easily take your kids off the school if it was a fee paying school?
Would the fee make any difference e.g. £1,000 p.a vs £25,000 p.a?

PS
I'm not arguing, this is just a quick research D)

Thread has gone full circle.

I answered this back on page 2 (IIRC can't be bothered to find the correct page) as did others.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
NickyJ, Yep - I'll close it down by summarising

Some people think the new rules are stupid - others think they are a good move

Snowheads can't agree on anything shocker

Cool
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

And, I'm not sure what the relevance is of yours or the previous poster on staggered holidays.

Relevant for two reasons. 1) People complain at the cost of holidays during school holidays because almost every family is off at the same time. In particular February half term is the biggie from a skiing point of view. 2) Someone who'd lived in Germany and the US asked why there were no complaints there.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
boofit wrote:
skinanny, I see you are in Reno, but have to totally disagree. I'm American, and from Washington, D.C. Many people travel for week long vacations. I think what you are describing are those that already live close to resorts in the West. And, I'm not sure what the relevance is of yours or the previous poster on staggered holidays. Finally, you are right about U.S. people not using a TO. I'm totally perplexed by the UK penchant for TO's and chalet's. It would drive me nuts. I like my flexibility, and enjoy booking things myself.

I'd be interested in finding out what percentage of ski areas in the US consider themselves to be destination resorts, where they are equally as busy mid-week as they are at the weekend. Most skier visits are at the weekend, and this is apparent in other areas than in the West, suggesting that many people do not take week long ski holidays. This has especially been the case during more recent years due to the weak economy.

Staggered holiday weeks would make a difference - lower demand usually means a lower price, plus it's nicer to ski when areas are not so busy. There is one particular week in the US when things get busy, some schools take the week off as a "ski and skate" week, other schools just have the Monday off, but many ski areas run special events for kids that week which make it attractive for families to ski at that time. The demand for this week drives up the cost of lodging, and many ski areas increase their lift ticket and lessons prices for that period too.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I can't think of a US or Canadian resort I have skied at which hasn't shown greater weekend/weekday variation than most European resorts. Even Jackson Hole which is a flight away from most places, and Fernie which is a 3 hour drive from Calgary.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Hmm - I knew I had seen something about vacations...
http://www.chicagobusiness.com/article/20120721/ISSUE03/307219986/no-escape-the-long-vacation-is-a-thing-of-the-past#
"The U.S. Travel Association, which has been gathering data on American vacations for decades, has seen the length of vacations steadily decline, even as people take them more frequently. In 1975, the association reports, vacations lasted on average more than a week. By 1985, the average vacation had shrunk to 5.4 days, and by 2010, according to the group's latest data, the average stood at 3.8 days."
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Esdel wrote:
Faiths daddy I totally agree,

I've recently had a letter home from my sons school with regards to two(2) days he has had off ill, this letter is a warning about future attendance.

However his school have closed for one(1) day ( a strike ) and are closed Thursday and Friday this week for an inset day, so three days (3).

Strike ? fair point.

Inset days ? Wrong - they are not taken out of the compulsory days of education that a child is required to have, they do not reduce the time your child spends in school or the number of days of school provision for them. They are, however, taken out of the teachers' holidays.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I can assure you that many, many people go on ski holidays in the U.S. And, amazingly, the slopes are busy during the week, too! You guys are really stretching to make your points about higher costs for UK holidays. Suck it up. That's life.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Thank you for helping stereotyping.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
boofit, The week between Xmas and new year, and Presidents' Day week, and spring break maybe. But I have skied a lot in the US and Canada and most people I speak to there are surprised that we are having more than 4 or 5 days skiing.

But thanks for your understanding...
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
stoat of the dead, Statutory vacations in America are now pretty much non-existant. Time served gets you a week or two but even that has shrunk as contracts are re-written. Over here, short (often unpaid) breaks are becoming the norm and you will see lots of promotions offering a third day free at a resort because they know that there will be little if any take-up.

It is a job security/culture thing. . . part of living in the land of insecurity.
ski holidays
boofit wrote:
I can assure you that many, many people go on ski holidays in the U.S. And, amazingly, the slopes are busy during the week, too! You guys are really stretching to make your points about higher costs for UK holidays. Suck it up. That's life.

I'm not stretching to make a point about UK holidays........what I care about is the many US ski resorts which are trying to attract mid-week skiers and riders. There's a very good reason why there are season passes available for mid-week only at a discounted rate, and why various holidays are blacked-out for the cheaper passes.

Among my many American friends, acquaintances, and clients I know of only one family that takes a week long vacation to go skiing. Over the last 9 years in the ski industry I've met a handful of others, usually from Texas, who were skiing for more than 4 days at a time, but in no way is it apparent that a week's ski holiday is normal.
snow report
stoat of the dead wrote:
boofit, The week between Xmas and new year, and Presidents' Day week, and spring break maybe. But I have skied a lot in the US and Canada and most people I speak to there are surprised that we are having more than 4 or 5 days skiing.

But thanks for your understanding...

Quite a lot of people here (Vancouver) I work with, and myself, do take a week off to go skiing. However since the summer holiday is a bit of an epic, a lot more save up the vacation for Summer. Going skiing in the week is nice to ski further afield and if only because it is less busy, but since I could still get 40 days in without taking any vacation, and I can go skiing after work to add to those, there is perhaps a little less of a need to drag the kids out of school to get the annual 6 days in.
No complaints because, though I haven't tried it, it seems it isn't a big deal to take the kids out of school, and anyway skiing is a part of school lessons snowHead
snow conditions
Filthyphil30k wrote:
adam.b wrote:
My wife is a teacher...guess when we have to go on holiday!?!
I would love to take her out of school for a couple of weeks holiday without your horrendous brats screaming, crying and generally being irritating...never mind just for once not getting my wallet raped by the airlines!

Stop whining and wait a few years until they are old enough to leave with a tin of beans and some beers while you go and have child free fun!

You could go on holiday during her 13 weeks leave, which is a bigger window than most working couples.

It sounds like you are whining a bit yourself.

Ahhh...confusing the school being closed and teachers not working again!

Half term; at least 3, usually 4 days work, planning, marking, prepping classrooms.
End of term; anything from 4 days for the shorter holidays to 2 weeks in the summer break.

Net result, her not being a teacher after Christmas...YAY!!

Oh...and when my child was at fee paying school they were WAY crabbier than state schools about taking him out during term time... it seems state schools are just catching up.
ski holidays
adam.b, I'm not sure how crabby our children's schools (private) would be about term-time holidays. Bearing in mind the cost I've never heard anyone even consider taking them out for anything other than a single day at the end of term, and that only rarely!
snow report
Maybe I was confusing the lack of teachers cars at school during the holidays and inset days with them not being there.

I only have experience if primary schools, maybe the work ethic is different in secondary.

So is it because you had a child at a fee paying school or your partner is a teacher you can only go skiing during official holidays?
Is your horrendous brat the non screaming non irritating type? Never cries or screams?
Presumably eating a can of beans while you go on holiday now?
snow report
FWIW and at the risk of incurring flaming.....

Saw the boys tutors tonight and explained that they would be out of school on last day of term. Both said, fine no problems, silly rule, officially can't agree and you will possibly get a letter and that's it. Both agreed that they would benefit more than the one day in school.
snow conditions
Boris, great! snowHead All those weeks of fretting for nowt. wink
ski holidays
FWIW and at the risk of incurring flaming.....

Saw the boys tutors tonight and explained that they would be out of school on last day of term. Both said, fine no problems, silly rule, officially can't agree and you will possibly get a letter and that's it. Both agreed that they would benefit more than the one day in school.
latest report
Or even the risk of recurring flaming. wink

Congratulations and well done.
ski holidays
Both of our eldest have now left to work a season, one in France the other Austria, which obviously means we have to have 2 ski holidays wink I emailed our sons head teacher to ask of we were to take our youngest out of school to visit his siblings on 2 separate weeks, what would the implications be? I received a phone call from the head of year who explained as a school they are not allowed to authorise absence for holidays, even though they wouldn't mind. The upshot being as he has good attendance nothing will happen, they don't automatically report parents to the education welfare, but if attendance continued to be low the EW would monitor it and possible slap a fine on us. So that's settled we're going skiing in January and March!! Toofy Grin
snow report
Sucking up the higher prices..... well, I have just done a quick check of a return to Innsbruck with Easyjet, half-term week. For two adults and two children, this came in at (fanfare....) £3,278 . That is flight only. That is some sucking up...
snow report
robertsnerys, Shocked
snow report
robertsnerys, Snap...and the very reason I'm driving to Austria at half term. My first choice would have been to fly,until I checked the prices Shocked Interestingly,we will be staying at a small hotel which is listed on a large TO's site. And,again,the price difference is equally shocking.When I mailed the hotel direct,they sent me a price list...and I was convinced there was an error? I rang them. No,not an error,normal pricing for that time of year. I booked on the spot Very Happy

And yes,my daughter will miss the last day of term.............does that make me a bad man Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
robertsnerys, we drive now at school holiday times whenever we can, unless we are really pressed for time. Those flight prices are just silly Sad
latest report
and if you want to fly at half term you need to book the flights the day they go on sale, not half way through December. wink
snow report
What is everyone, smoking? I just looked and found Austrian Airlines flights (at half term) from London to Innsbruck for $334 USD (return). With today's currency conversion, that's only about 200 GBP.
ski holidays
boofit, Clearly something different to you wink Have just checked(4.45),and the cheapest return combo I can get is £451 return p/p. And.....both legs are via Vienna, with the return involving an horrendous stop over, total travel time 14hrs! There are one or two 'red ticket' returns, which drop the price a bit, but they dump you in Vienna long enough for a full guided tour of the city!!
So total for my group of 3 is £1353 at the very best, plus inflight meals on such a long journey, plus transfer to resort & back. Would not expect to see much change from £2k?

Thanks, but I'll drive wink
ski holidays
I guess my point was that there are options, if people are willing to be flexible. Not suggesting you shouldn't drive, although I couldn't imagine it. It was long enough last week from Frankfurt to Obergurgl, and I hit zero traffic.
latest report
boofit, Options are good,but they are very limited for this period,and the only one that makes any sort of financial sense(to me at least),is to drive.Make no mistake,I don't look forward to it either! Have done it many times into the French Alps,and it dosen't get any easier.My total journey will be around 900mls,so round trip approaching 2000!! As the only driver,I will spread over two days...leave Fri am,arrive resort around lunchtime Sat.I will be OK once over the channel,as euro roads are generally much better.....the UK side is the bit I dread,its pants Evil or Very Mad
latest report
Safe travels, snowskisnow, !
latest report
Totally agree we have 3 children [well they are growing up 19, 17 & 14] so still tied to school holidays, we have always gone Feb 1/2 term, used to go with Crystal for child care benefits, fortunately they are all proficient skiers so for the last 2 seasons we have hied an apartment & driven to Tignes, Crystal price £7,000+ seld drive/apartment £3500 which includes 2 stop over hotels, no contest.

And I have to say I actually quite enjoy the drive, Feb 2013 we arrived in resort @ 10.00 so went ski-ing hence 7 days on the hill Very Happy

I guess whilst we have the kids with us we shall always drive, we make the journey part of the holiday.

Michael
snow conditions
Quote:

I have to say I actually quite enjoy the drive

I do, too though I never have to drive at school holiday time, thankfully. Driving to the mountains is always exciting, even if you do it four times a year!
ski holidays
Wish me luck, i'm in for a battle.

I have just written a letter to my daughters school informing them she will be absent for a week in Jan, i am not expecting a favourable reply.
What makes it worse is that the week we are away they are holding a parents evening to discuss her GCSE options for next year, we only learned about that this weekend Shocked
They claim its a vital meeting yet they only set aside 10 mins! Im not convinced.
I have asked for an appointment outside of this week so lets see how they take it....
snow report
Corduroy, no need for a battle, just don't expect the absence to be authorised.
snow report
For myself, wife (learner) and 3 kids oldest of which is 5, I would have to budget a minimum of £4500 - 5000, probably more. Therefore we dont go sking as a family. Even Bulgaria is expensive for school holiday times. The cheapest option appears to be to early book Eurostar (using airmiles for part payment if you can) and a non-TO booked apartment. This save you muchos wonga but gives you major hassles sorting out English-speaking childcare of any repute.... rolling eyes
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy