Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

VOS Media and Natives recruit volunteer workers for this autumn's ski shows

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Details here:

http://www.natives.co.uk/news/volunteer-at-the-ski-and-snowboard-show-with-vos-media-and-natives/6092
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Taking the wee wee.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
"Are you looking for a way in to the snowsports industry?"

Are they serious?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.

http://youtube.com/v/0OoBCTWoDf0
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Natives has died a miserable death under new ownership, as soon as they started prioritising 'instructor courses' over 'news' on the front page of their website the bells were ringing loud and clear.

Shame really as despite the often outdated main website the forum really was a great resource. Iain Martin must be looking on from afar in dismay.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I work both in the voluntary and paid sector (in the same area of enterprise), so this is interesting to me.

As for the ski 'industry' (it isn't really an industry in the UK - there was no British industrial revolution in skiing, though we were significant pioneer players) ... my first paid work was in 1974, teaching as an unqualified ski instructor on Cairngorm (it may surprise readers to know that a substantial proportion of instructors on the mountain at that time held no qualification), before getting the BASI ticket, and I worked on a paid basis at the London ski show in 1976.

Clearly times have changed, particularly in the current economic climate.

What's most striking about this offer of ski show voluntary work is that it's in the commercial sector - VOS Media ain't a charity - but that travel expenses won't be paid (according to the linked blurb above). It's fairly standard for enterprises that recruit unpaid staff to pay some sort of maximum allowance towards public transport costs. The value of the 'lunch vouchers' mentioned isn't given and, if you're working long hours on a shift - the blurb strongly hints that it would like volunteers to work the full duration of either show - sustenance is a big factor. Working at shows is quite draining.

The model volunteer scheme of recent times was the London Olympics 'Games Makers' last summer. That was obvious from the pride, motivation and sheer brilliance of the huge team involved. Anyone who visited the Games saw what a fantastic bunch of workers and friends they were. They were properly looked after.

There are numerous aspects of that Olympics scheme that perhaps any enterprise seeking free labour should emulate. They include city Travelcards (which wouldn't cost the ski show organisers a silly amount of money) and some arrangement with a caterer to actually provide a guaranteed full meal of some sort - plus drinks during breaks.

Was it Napoleon who once wisely remarked: "An army marches on its stomach" ... ?
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Sadly the difference is I would be ashamed to work at the daily snail/ metro ski show.

And yes it is taking the wee wee. I espe ially liked the chance to have to pay for IMHO the worst ski related magazine in the world.

Andy
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
anderoo, in fact VOS Media is now owned by the Telegraph Media Group ...

http://www.exhibitionnews.co.uk/newsdetails/2815/telegraph-group-buys-vos-majority-stake

... and therefore these gentlemen ...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_and_Frederick_Barclay
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Total BS. More honest would be to say "Got a rich mummy & daddy - who are worried that you're just sitting on your arose. You've thought a about doing a season? Get some practice at being exploited without the upside."
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
fatbob, Happy
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy