Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Buying a Road Bike - Anyone got any expertise?!!?

Poster: A snowHead
JayDub wrote:
My advice would be to buy an 'older' Steel bike, made from Reynolds 531 or Columbus steel. I have tried various Aluminium frames, but I prefer steel. Some of the older steel bikes look gorgeous too - reference to rule 4.

Probably rubbish advice actually.

On the Nose! IMO
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
ooops, wrong pic!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Frosty the Snowman, TBH you shouldn't have to. Their bike mechanic/technicians have had very limited experience on all the types bikes that they sell. 1-2 day basic course I would think and thats why their bikes are slightly cheaper IMO.

jellemr, If you going to ride your bike between 40-60 miles a week, which works out about 3-4 hours. I'd really think about getting a decent bike fit. You never know, you might get the taste for it and you'll be cracking 3-4 hrs on a saturday morning. Good luck and enjoy the summer........... when the pain sets in on a climb just think of how strong your quads and back will be for skiing this winter. Very Happy
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Buddy1664, thanks for the advise. I am certainly going to try at least 1 or 2 local shops, and will be asking for a bike fit etc. Regarding the back, good idea, I'll hopefully get a go on an indoor trainer to see how it is...I'm hoping that a road bike will help the back in that it should put my back in the opposite position to running / swimming...we'll see...

I am hoping to get into it lol....even if it is just as a means to an end re: ski fitness Smile
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Frosty the Snowman, Buddy1664, I did a maintenance check on my Boardman when I got it home from the shop and found about 15 things that I had to fix. They hadn't even pumped up the tyres, despite someone having signed a checklist that stated the tyre pressure had been tested. But if you're competent to do the checking yourself, why not take advantage of their prices?
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Very first thing I'd do with any bike, once home. Go through their checklist, and check everything. Doesn't matter if it was Halfords or a top LBS.

Last 2 bikes I've built up from scratch. Costs a few bob more, but at least I know exactly how every component is torqued up, greased, loctited, etc. and I know I have every tool to fix it. Always worth knowing how to do maintenance on most items - one day you'll need to be doing that with a multitool 40 miles from home.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Sideshow_Bob wrote:
an excuse for Batman_123 to buy another bike, then another, then a fourth and fifth with probably a sixth arriving shortly

Actually I miscounted, and Batman_123's bike number 7 has just been purchased and will be arriving shortly Smile
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
JayDub, + 1 for steel frames. They are way more comfortable IMV as they compress and absorb more jolts than aluminium . I got a Genesis 10 under the Cycle to Work scheme but see they are now well over £1K.

Also I do no exercise but cycle return to work - 16 miles a day. I find it is really good for ski-ing - I rarely get muscle strain or whatever, and I have a dodgy knee. As I understand it cycling uses the same muscle groups as ski-ing - which running does not. Also - quite obviously - running is weight bearing and therefore hard on teh knees but Cycling and ski-ing are not.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Sideshow_Bob, sixth. Plus you make it sound like I have that many bikes. One of those six has been sold and two written off. People dont count thinks cumulatively, you count them in terms of the number you have at once. Otherwise skis owned would be a big number for alot of people on this site. Plus I don't think I've ever seen a deal this good so would be a fool not to have bought!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Two of the seven have been sold, you're forgetting ye olde hybrid. Moral of the story is don't buy a hybrid, you'll soon want to upgrade!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Skiing does use the same muscle groups, regular high intensity cycling is really good for skiing. I have being a keen cyclist for 13 years - since I learnt how good it is for skiing. 10 years on Aluminium, 3 years on Steel and I will never ever buy Aluminium again. Off out on my Colnago Mexico now! See rule 4.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Just noticed the bad back bit. You can get road bikes with a more relaxed geometry (not so hunched over). I got a Cannondale Synapse rather than a CAAD for that reason. They may be called "suitable for sportive or audax" which are long road events that I never want to do. Or the bikeshop can add spacers to the headset and adjust the stem angle to give you a better, more relaxed fit. I suppose it depends what's up with your back.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
JayDub, agree with that. Lots of high intensity cycling over the winter vastly improved my skiing speed and stamina this season
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
JayDub, ski fitness is exactly the reason I'm buying a bike in the first place.

I was doing running and swimming for fitness, but the back has started playing up over the last 4 months or so, and I've been told by the physio that the shape these two activities put my back in are causing the pain, and to try cycling as it puts the back in a much kinder position (for me at least). Am also doing a pilates course to try to encourage better flexibility in my back, but I don't think I'll ever be in a state to enjoy running (without the pain!)....

michael stocking, thanks, am hoping that a good local shop will be able to take all my ailments on board and provide me with something suitable!!
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
JayDub, ski fitness is exactly the reason I'm buying a bike in the first place.

I was doing running and swimming for fitness, but the back has started playing up over the last 4 months or so, and I've been told by the physio that the shape these two activities put my back in are causing the pain, and to try cycling as it puts the back in a much kinder position (for me at least). Am also doing a pilates course to try to encourage better flexibility in my back, but I don't think I'll ever be in a state to enjoy running (without the pain!)....

michael stocking, thanks, am hoping that a good local shop will be able to take all my ailments on board and provide me with something suitable!!
ski holidays
I have never heard of swimming causing back pain!
snow report
Frosty the Snowman, I've never nearly drowned on my bike wink
snow conditions
What with all this alloy hatred? I've five bikes and they're all alu.

Love it, stiff is good wink
ski holidays
2 Steel, 2 Alu here, and no plastic ones (yet).

The frame mfrs will use all kinds of marketing guff like "compliant" for steel frames, when what they mean is "bendy when you ride it", and "don't stomp the pedals uphill too hard if you're 100kg+ cos the frame can bend enough to ghost shift"

Still my preferred MTB though.
snow conditions
Quote:

I have never heard of swimming causing back pain!

Oh yes. Especially the "middle aged lady" form of breast stroke when they try to keep their hair dry. Breast stroke is also extremely bad for knees, and always contra-indicated for people with knee problems.

I'm a poor swimmer - and I don't think my form is sufficiently good for it to be a good type of exercise for me. Back crawl is OK for me but then you can't see where you are going...

Cycling is fine, but on a "sit up and beg" hybrid bike, and low gear/high cadence.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy