Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Hemel Hempstead Saturday 6th July 1pm

Poster: A snowHead
All being well, I will be there then. Nephew #1 is having his first skiing lesson in preparation for school skiing trip next season and I have been elected to take him. Any other snowHead snowHead likely to be around then?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Possibly Smile
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I can't, unfortunately.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Another possible snowHead
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I might well be there from 8-10 am as my children could be having lessons then, but probably long gone by 1pm I'm afraid.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
kieranm, Snow stars / Academy lock-in or are they on the training slope?

I'll be around coaching the Academy session.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
queen bodecia, I might be around. I'm getting in as much practice as I can this summer.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
My oldest two (6 and 4) are both taking part in the Snow Stars lock-in on the Saturday as well.. not sure if my oldest would let me hang around afterwards as it's her school fete that day, and I'm sure she just has to win a tin of beans on the tombola and bash some innocent rat in a drainpipe or whatever..! Twisted Evil
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
scooby_simon, one on each I think, but as the older one just got the go ahead to join in snow stars when we were last there she's probably a way off getting involved in the academy.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
sparklies, kieranm, If you get the chance pop over and say Hi! I think I'm the only one who will be there with Blue Lange race boots on. The name badge might give it away too!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
scooby_simon, Is there an Academy on Saturday? Thought it was Sunday 7th? Mouth Junior is part of the Academy...
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
What is the Academy? As far as I know we are just booking a normal lesson for my nephew.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
queen bodecia, The Academy is a programme for pretty talented level 6 and above kids. They have to undertake an assessment to get in. Currently the programme has 14 kids from 6 upwards.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
scooby_simon, I've already had a lesson with you a month or so ago and said hi then snowHead You've seen me around a few times since as well and said hi then as well, although not in a lesson. I'm the one with the 6 and 4 year olds who started learning in January, although usually I don't ski with them as they have lessons. I'm also another one with poor ankle flex, so you suggested leaving my bottom clip undone and it really helped, thank you!!

I'm usually there most Saturdays to take the children to Snow Stars and husband and I take it in turns to ski as somebody has to look after the 2 year old whilst he demolishes his favourite croissant..
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
All booked and definite now. 1-2pm so I guess we will be too late to say hello to any of you Academy people, but in fairness it's a good 2-hour drive to Hemel Hempstead so I'm glad of a later session.

Is anyone likely to be around?
snow conditions
sparklies wrote:
scooby_simon, I've already had a lesson with you a month or so ago and said hi then snowHead You've seen me around a few times since as well and said hi then as well, although not in a lesson. I'm the one with the 6 and 4 year olds who started learning in January, although usually I don't ski with them as they have lessons. I'm also another one with poor ankle flex, so you suggested leaving my bottom clip undone and it really helped, thank you!!

I'm usually there most Saturdays to take the children to Snow Stars and husband and I take it in turns to ski as somebody has to look after the 2 year old whilst he demolishes his favourite croissant..

Aaaahh. Now I have a better idea! come back soon! Try and get the same movement with the clip done up.....

Maybe C U Saturday week Happy
latest report
Quote:

The Academy is a programme for pretty talented level 6 and above kids. They have to undertake an assessment to get in. Currently the programme has 14 kids from 6 upwards.

I thought the standard was even higher than that, and you had to be at level 6 to do snow stars. It's remarkable how little information they have about these programs on their website though. This is the best I could find for the Academy:

http://www.thesnowcentre.com/junioracademy

and got there via Google - I've never found that just by browsing their website. At least for snow stars they mention that it exists on their group lessons page (but don't actually say what it is or how to find out more!). I guess they rely on selling these sessions to those progressing from earlier stages.
latest report
It will be my nephew's first ever time on skis. But he is 15 and a skater 'boi', so I think he will pick it up really quickly.
snow conditions
....and clearly though far too young an Avril Lavigne fan.
snow conditions
Simon - I'll most definitely be back soon, even if I'm not the one skiing (it's my husband's turn this Saturday whilst I watch our 2 year old), my children are in most weeks! I got Colin to put some wedges in the back of my boot which has helped a little. It would be good to do the clip up a little bit, I had a small child very kindly point out to me that it was undone last week and I had to try to explain that it was on purpose..

kieranm - I thought it was well beyond Snow Stars too. It says for ages 5+, but they don't let under 7s do their Rookie Clinics (which they would need to do unless they'd been out on a mountain in order to get the "air off a kicker" criteria) so that would rule out many little ones unless they've been on the mountains a lot. I'm assuming Snow Stars tends toward the lower of the age range they accept (4-12) as my 6 year old is apparently a fairly average age for the group according to one of the instructors, so perhaps the academy would have mainly older children (with a few highly talented little ones) unless they go into racing/freestyle?

I only knew about the Academy as they emailed me, presumably because I book Snow Stars lessons all the time. I only knew about Snow Stars because I saw it on their site when booking and saw them on the slope when my two were having their weekend lessons working up through the levels, and so I asked at the front desk for more information. It would be good if there was more information on the site, I agree.
snow report
kieranm wrote:
Quote:

The Academy is a programme for pretty talented level 6 and above kids. They have to undertake an assessment to get in. Currently the programme has 14 kids from 6 upwards.

I thought the standard was even higher than that, and you had to be at level 6 to do snow stars. It's remarkable how little information they have about these programs on their website though. This is the best I could find for the Academy:

http://www.thesnowcentre.com/junioracademy

and got there via Google - I've never found that just by browsing their website. At least for snow stars they mention that it exists on their group lessons page (but don't actually say what it is or how to find out more!). I guess they rely on selling these sessions to those progressing from earlier stages.

Yes Snowstars is for level 6 and above but quite frankly I was surprised when we first went as this is not the case. The age groups are 4 and above (up to 9). The Academy is aimed above snowstars and the standard is higher. Mouth Junior is 6, very experienced on snow and is one of the best and there are some older ones there including some from the race club.

The Academy sort of sprang up a few weeks ago with no advertising just an email to the Snowstars inviting them to be assessed. I really am not sure of the overall aim and direction long term (is anyone?) but they have been doing more focused slalom drills and exercises. It is just a 6 week course which I am told will resume in September for another block of lessons.

The way I look at it is snow time, fun with other kids and a chance to put my feet up for 2 hours (not taking into the consideration the journey time to get there)

Mouth Junior will be doing the visiting camp training this summer eg Evolution and Impulse Racing. Now THOSE should be the next leve for sure!
snow report
queen bodecia, I'd forgotten about another commitment so I won't be around Saturday lunchtime (I might get there for the evening, but it's unlikely). Shame, it would be nice to meet you in person.
snow conditions
little ms spock, never mind, I'm sure there will be other opportunities. The weather forecast is looking far too nice to spend the day in a fridge anyway... wink
ski holidays
queen bodecia, I've also found I won't be able to make Saturday lunchtime. My daughter was having a family get-together on Sunday before she goes to Hong Kong for six weeks, but she's now changed it to Saturday. Hope you both have a good time anyway Very Happy
snow conditions
Myself and another U12 coach from The Race Club are hoping to be there in the morning, I have an Inside Out Clinic to run starting at 10 but Holly who coaches for HSRC should be around to answer parent's questions about the race club off the hill after the lock in session. We have around 80 7-12 year olds in the club and are taking a few more on as we have recently added another coach, we stream the U12 by ability and experience into 4 groups each Monday night during training. The snow stars has been the unofficial pathway for those kids without race experience or from dry slopes, to be honest I dont know where the Academy group fits in , sounds like a new set up?? Also for those with under 7's there is www.nanostars.co.uk
snow report
skimottaret,

The Academy is the next step up from the Snow Stars; It is also a 6 week product; Customers pay in advance (once the child has been selected). Doug and I are the main coaches with some guest appearances. Sessions cover some freestyle, race training(stubbies), bumps / ruts and general performance skiing.

For those interested the Academy will be going out at 3pm on Sunday after the Hemel ERSA race finishes.

The academy is a selection based group; the test involves a race test with a qualifying time, some simple freestyle skills are also evaluated and the top (this time) 14 children were offered a place, offers were based on a number of criteria; not just the fastest.

Further trials will be planned for the future for the autumn term.
ski holidays
scooby_simon, thanks for the info thats good to know, fill me in next time I see you snowHead
snow report
skimottaret, I am in tomorrow running the race lane with Chris for the Kids session.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy