Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

what skis??

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I'm toying with the idea of buying my own skis but I'm struggling with the huge variety of skis out there and where to start looking.

I'm a 5'4 lady, but quite heavy at around 80kg. When i have rented skis they have usually been around the 150-155 length.

I'm an intermediate standard skier, but looking to progress further. I spend most of my time on piste seeing how fast i can go, but having the option to play around a little off the side of the piste would be nice. I would also like skis that can deal with slush, crud and moghuls that appear as the pistes start to suffer - in the past these have the bad habit of making late afternoon skiing rather painful for me.

So what skis and lengths would people recommend i try?

The K2 superglides have caught my eye but 160 seems to be the only length around i can try out - would that be too long for me?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
For your stats the 160 as a min but as they have a reasonable amount of rocker I'd go for the 167's.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I regard myself as Intermediate too.....5'9" 70kg..... I ski on 165's or 170's ... I cant feel much difference in 5mm on piste TBH Confused
In the hire shop I usually ask for something "forgiving" as far as action n stiffness is concerned...oooh Embarassed matron.........lol I'd rather sacrifice high speed stability on the piste for a smooth contouring action on the bumps & crud etc
I'd defo try out as many pairs as poss when in resort, there are sometimes showcase events by manufacturers in resort where you can do this.
presume you have your own "well fitted" boots.....If not I'd do my dough on those first before buying skis IMHO
snowHead
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Yes I already bought myself boots last year as figured they were more important than the skis. I think I'll start to draw up a list and see what I can demo.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
It's worth trying before you buy, whats nice about hiring skis in resort is that you get to try out a lot of different skis, that said I have recently brought skis for myself in the sales after literally falling in love with some volkl rtm 84 skis after hiring them...
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
crypto,
If you don't mind me asking what conditions/ level do you ski at?
Cheers
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
franzClammer I'd say I'm an intermediate skier who can get round the mountain but still have a lot to learn and experience to improve my skiing - No videos to share Very Happy
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Found a set of K2 Superfree 2013 skis 160cm for £250 brand new including bindings - i'm sorely tempted now!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Becstar wrote:
Found a set of K2 Superfree 2013 skis 160cm for £250 brand new including bindings - i'm sorely tempted now!

That's a bargain & well worth a punt. Be great if you could get an early season spin on 'em so if you felt the need to go longer you could still flip 'em early/mid season for a minimal loss, probably no more than the cost of a weeks rental.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Can vouch for K2 Superfree. I paid a lot more than £250 but did so happily, they were worth every penny.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Well i gave in and got the Superfrees, it was too good a deal on a ski that appears to have everything i am looking for.

So having done that my lovely boyfriend has decided he should get some skis too. The world of mens skis seems to be an even bigger minefield than the world of womens - so once again we are drawing up a list of skis to try and demo.

He is 5'8" and around 75kg. He is a slightly more advanced intermediate and likes to ski quite aggressively and fast. Majority of time is spent on piste but the ability to play around the edges or do some minor off piste would be good. A ski which deals with european slush and crud would also be good.

Any ideas on what skis would be a good call to demo?
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
It really has got complicated these days hasn't it? When I was learning to ski it was 203 for slalom, 207 for Gs (some allowance allowed for ladies because they were perceived to be weaker) and you bought the skis in the colour you liked or based on who was leading in the world cup.

And you learned to to ski in crud and powder.

Curmudgeonly rant over.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I was thinking of maybe looking at the K2 Rictor or Volkl RTM 80 for him. Last time we skiied he rented the Salomon Enduro LX750 (or maybe XT 800 - not sure so basing it on colour!) which he enjoyed skiing on but felt he wanted something more (don't ask me what!!)
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Or maybe I'll throw it out there and look at the Volkl Kendos, but i'm not sure if he will find them too wide
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy