Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

10day holiday

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi, I'm interested in booking a 10day ski holiday for 2, ideally in Alpe D'Huez or LDA. A week is too short and we don't have the annual leave for a fortnight. Can't find anything. Am I just looking in the wrong place or don't these exist. All help gratefully received.

Thanks

Cygnet
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Cygnet, I guess you will have to DIY the trip, never seen any tour operator doing 10 days in Europe.

We have done some 8 or 9 days etc, booking flights and B&B in Austria and it worked very well for us.

Problem might be that bigger resorts will favour Sat-Sat bookings only.

Way forward, book you own flight, transfer and accommodation (in smaller resorts or close by villages to bigger ones). You could even combine 2 resorts on this trip.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Cygnet, definitely looking at a DIY job I think. I can sort you out something in Serre Chevalier for 10 days if you're interested. we are flexible with arrival and departure outside of the peak february holiday.

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Mon 17-06-13 12:02; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Cygnet, I always do 10 days in LDA at Easter in a SC apartment. You're reliant on finding an owner willing to rent for a period other than 7 days though.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
It depends upon which 10 days you are thinking of. In January or late march it should be OK, but over half term (especially the last week of Feb and the first week of March) it could prove very difficult. I suggest that you visit the the resort web sites make a list of the immobiliers and hotels and email or phone them to see what is available. Unfortunately it may not be until the last minute when they release these fill in slots. You could, of course book an apartment for 2 weeks and ignore 4 days of the booking, but my guess is you want to go out on the Friday and come back on the Monday which makes this a tricky option.

As Tom W, says another option might be to use a hotel in the valley and drive upto the slopes for a few days. One suggestion would be to book a hotel in Grenoble (or Crolles) and, perhaps, spend 3 days skiing Les Sept Laux before moving onto Les 2 Alpes or Alpe d'Huez. I have even used a hotel in Cluses for a trip to Flaine similar to the one you are planning.

Hope this helps
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Good point by johnE, Even the guy I rent from (have done for 7 years) baulked at a booking which effectively went over 3 separate weeks. Instead I skied on the last day then drove down to Grenoble that evening.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
In the past we have used the SnowTrain for just this purpose. By arriving at breakfast-time on Saturday and leaving late the next Saturday afternoon, you end up with a good 7½ day's skiing while still fitting into the normal weekly pattern.

Sadly, it didn't run last year and I'm not sure if it's going to again.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Cygnet, other than the main school holidays I would expect you would find a hotel that would accommodate your dates and you can book your own flights, car hire/transfers, etc. Apartments owners like myself are constrained by many things to running mostly Sat-Sat e.g. having to organise changeovers and those constraints don't necessarily relax outwith high season. Hotels, almost by definition are geared up for arrival and departure on any day.

Look to the online hotel and apartment sites.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Cygnet, For a wildcard option, I did 10 days in Colorado with another snowhead a couple of years back. I can't remember the exact prices but from what I recall the the whole thing cost about £1550 each -

Flights - £500 with BA from Heathrow to Denver
Hotel - £650 for 10 day stay in Snowshoe Motel is Frisco (about 5-10 minutes outside Breckenridge)
Lift Pass - £350 for an 8 day open pass for Breckenridge, Vail, Copper Mountain, Beaver Creek and Arapahoe.
Tranfers - About £50 for Denver to Frisco and return!

This was a DIY trip, but the guy did his homework and it was an amazing trip. Regarding local transport, the buses are free and will get you from the hotel to the slopes in 5-10 minutes. The only place which is not easily/freely reachable is Vail, which you book a private transfer for.

Its was an amazing trip and highly recommend it snowHead
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Many thanks for all your replies and advice. We're making great progress on a DIY option for after French school hols, with some independent hotels on our shortlist.

HellsBells - your apartment looks great - but our friend would prefer a 2bedroom apartment.
Kelv1n - The US sounds great - and is a real contender for 2015!

My next question is 'when to book flights?' Is it worth doing it now or are EasyJet/Monarch (scheduled) likely to have sales at some point?
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

Is it worth doing it now or are EasyJet/Monarch (scheduled) likely to have sales at some point?

for easyjet, book now. However, flights not available yet through till the end of the season (I am waiting to pounce when the April flights are released).

I might be able to find a flexibly-dated 2-bedroom apartment in Les Saisies (Bisanne 1500) if you get stuck. I don't rent mine but some of my friends do flexible dates.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
You'd think it would be easy at first wouldn't ya?!
Hope you find a sweet place & a nice deal for the 2 of you.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy