Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Winner of British Alpine Speed Team Holiday to Canada - report

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
The winner of the Canadian Affair holiday to Banff/Lake Louise (Geoff Lazell from Diss in Norfolk) has given me a report on his holiday that he took at the end of April.
Here are some photos and edited words from his email.

Geoff

Definitely a good move going it alone and getting the free upgrade to Club Class. Travelling at the front of the plane makes all the difference. One arrives feeling totally relaxed and pretty much un-jetlagged, even after a 9 hour flight. A good flight both ways, excellent service and very good food & wines.

The hotel was excellent too. Lovely, helpful staff, a very comfy bed and a more than adequate breakfast. Free wi-fi in the room and a very relaxing jacuzzi. The restaurant was OK, I only ate there twice in the evening as there were loads of restaurants downtown of every possible ethnicity - even an Indian! (That's not RED Indian by the way!) A nice little town, Banff.

It was snowing in Calgary when I landed and REALLY snowing in Banff, which had to be a great start eh? They said it was unseasonably cold (which it certainly was!) so the conditions were more like March than April, which made for great lasting snow and brilliant skiing most of the week.

The Rock Garden

The ski-hosting programme was brilliant, although Day 1 for me was the last day they were running it at Sunshine, but it kept going at Lake Louise so I didn't have to ski on my own that much. The big 'plus' was the complete absence of crowds. I have never skied in such uncrowded places in all my life! Talk about being, "far from the madding crowd" - it didn't come into it. The Mount Norquay area (the one closest to Banff) closed for the season on my Day 1 so I never did ski there, but there was more than enough at the other 2 resorts anyway. I didn't do anything too extreme as the ski-hosts are not allowed to take guests on 'double-black' runs, nor did I have any avalanche kit and nor are you allowed on them alone in any event (quite rightly). I did find a tame Aussie to ski with on a couple of days but he wasn't up for the really steep stuff off-piste. In fact he thought I skied, "like a mountain goat on steroids", which I think was a compliment! I did have one or two 'sphincter-tightening' moments I must admit, but hey, that's the spirit upon which we built an empire - as I did point out to my Aussie chum.

The inter-resort ski bus service was very efficient, although not frequent. It certainly ran on time though, as did the city bus service, which was free with a hotel pass. So, I had 2.5 days at Sunshine and 1.5 days at Lake Louise, spending half a day sightseeing at the lake itself and another full day around Banff and up the local mountain as it was very windy. The other half day was spent in a health spa having all the treatments on my poor old aching body!

Twin Peaks Lodge

Canadians are really really nice, friendly people and the whole experience was a good one in pretty much every respect. It was very expensive to eat out and booze was seriously expensive. The food was a bit too much "Tex/Mex" for my taste, but I enjoyed my medallions of elk and my bison steak (when in Rome and all that!) The scenery is awesome and the unhurried, uncrowded, polite pace of life is very agreeable and such a contrast to this country. I'd love to go back and see more of the country.

Thanks once again for giving me the opportunity to actually win something for once. As everyone I told as to why I was out there said, "If you are only going to win one prize draw or raffle in your life, you aren't going to win anything much better than this"! They are right too.

Cheers

Geoff
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Just reposting this so everyone can see what they are buying the tickets for.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy