Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Will the world's most famous ski jump launch the 2022 Winter Olympics?

Poster: A snowHead

It's been rebuilt 19 times since 1892. Beneath it is one of the world's greatest ski museums. There are few more significant skiing locations in the world. Today, its host city took a major political decision ...

http://www.newsinenglish.no/2013/06/05/oslo-goes-ahead-with-plan-for-winter-olympics/
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
By the way ... a visit, any time of year, is greatly recommended ... even if an Olympic bid doesn't materialise ...

http://www.holmenkollen.com/eng/The-Ski-Museum
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Comedy Goldsmith wrote:
By the way ... a visit, any time of year, is greatly recommended ... even if an Olympic bid doesn't materialise ...

http://www.holmenkollen.com/eng/The-Ski-Museum

^+1
(It's nice to be able to agree 100% with a DG post....Wink Smile )
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Early invocation of Godwin's law but doesn't Garmisch have a claim on that too?
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:
It's nice to be able to agree 100% with a DG post....
+ lots.
Terrific photo CG
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
fatbob wrote:
Early invocation of Godwin's law but doesn't Garmisch have a claim on that too?

I immediately thought Garmisch when I read the title (will Munich / Garmisch bid again?).

But I'll concede that the Holmenkollen has at least an equal claim.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
ami in berlin, Christian Ude (Munich's mayor) announced the intention to make a joint bid using the existing infrastructure more or less! That means cross-country and biathlon at Ruhpolding, Bob and Skeleton at Königsee, skating etc in Munich (maybe a new upgraded rink but I did not hear the initial interview so I'm not sure about that) Alpine racing at Garmisch - the World Championships and the World Cup events over the past 2 seasons or so have proven that they can host them easily enough. Ski Jumping with also take place there of course! As we say down here: "Schau man mal!" Certainly it will be an unusually cheap one if nowt else! wink Laughing
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!

Hitler at Garmisch, persuading ski jumpers that arms can be pointed forwards rather than backwards.

Competitors who adopted the technique rapidly crashed.

If Garmisch ever re-stage the Winter Olympics, wouldn't it be fun to turn up in appropriate fancy dress!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Comedy Goldsmith, you really are a dickhead of the first order!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads

Thank you Sue, but I think you're confusing me with 'Harry the Nazi' !
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Samerberg Sue wrote:
ami in berlin, Christian Ude (Munich's mayor) announced the intention to make a joint bid using the existing infrastructure more or less! That means cross-country and biathlon at Ruhpolding, Bob and Skeleton at Königsee, skating etc in Munich (maybe a new upgraded rink but I did not hear the initial interview so I'm not sure about that) Alpine racing at Garmisch - the World Championships and the World Cup events over the past 2 seasons or so have proven that they can host them easily enough. Ski Jumping with also take place there of course! As we say down here: "Schau man mal!" Certainly it will be an unusually cheap one if nowt else! wink Laughing

So pretty much the same plan as the last bid.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
ami in berlin, yep but this time there is no dispute with any landowners in the Garmisch area. Last time they made it very clear on the IOC initial inspection that they were not happy, so Garmish/München went out in the first round. I think in the current financial climate, the frugal nature of the bid may well be attractive to the organisers. The news coming out of Sochi about what has been done to the somewhat delicate environment there (on a par with some of the excesses of the Albertville games and in some cases much worse) plus the way that Putin is throwing money at the set up in order to have the prestige games where HE wants to, perhaps things may work in Munich's favour.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Comedy Goldsmith, once again you start a good thread and then when real valid contributions roll in you hi-jack it with photographic non sequiturs. Why?
I have to agree with Samerberg Sue - you are displaying signs of serious dick-headedness. Sad.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Dubaian and Samerberg Sue, I appreciate what you're saying but this thread - after all - is about Holmenkollen and Oslo, certainly not Garmisch. I think you're adopting a 'don't mention the War' attitude, which is fine, but the German population are actually beginning to fully appreciate their historical legacy - a good thing, which should be encouraged.

If Garmisch has any claim to fame it's as the infamous host town of the 1936 Winter Olympics, not as an innovator in any particular regard. The Holmenkollen jump has a quite incomparable historical status.

It's also important to note that Sir Arnold Lunn performed perhaps his most significant skiing work at the 1936 Games, convincing the IOC to introduce slalom and downhill races - for the first time. However he strongly opposed the sporting philosophy of the Garmisch Games and the hosts' tactics.

What isn't mentioned in literature is that Sir Arnold joined the British intelligence services during the Second World War and doubtless contributed to our victory over Nazism.

It was fatbob, not I, who suggested that the Garmisch jump has a claim to fame. I'm afraid it only has a claim to infamy and - for reasons of respect - perhaps the good people of that town should accept their unfortunate place in history and restore the good name of their town with other cultural or sporting activities, steering well clear of the Olympics. Citing page 76 of 'The Nazi Olympics' [Anrd Krüger, William Murray, 2003], Sir Arnold boycotted the official functions at the 1936 Games and ridiculed the Nazis. An excellent strategy!

See:

http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=s5ntIQv0W5IC&pg=PA76&dq=%22Arnold+Lunn%22+Garmisch+%22opening+ceremony%22&hl=en&sa=X&ei=BDm0Ud7uB-v70gW0_IHgAQ&ved=0CDoQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q=%22Arnold%20Lunn%22%20Garmisch%20%22opening%20ceremony%22&f=false
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Comedy Goldsmith, yes the thread was diverted before your photos - thread diversions are normal and most have no problem with them. Responses such as your post immediately above expanding on the topic and the diversion with your extensive historical knowledge are interesting and IMO appropriate to the general sH style.

I'm not 'don't mention the war' - I'm anti your often inappropriate photo hi-jacks. You do it all the time. I have commented on it previously.
That's your prerogative but I venture to suggest that you do your reputation, and the site, no favours by spraying silly snapshots around in what were serious, even if off-topic, discussions.
snow conditions
Leaving Hitler on one side (of the piste) for a moment ...

Re. Oslo's potential bid ... Duncan Mackay of 'Inside the Games' reports ...

http://www.insidethegames.biz/olympics/winter-olympics/2022/1014529-oslo-2022-bid-backed-by-city-council-now-it-awaits-the-public-s-verdict

... and 'Around the Rings' reports that a 2022 bid may come from the Ukraine ...

http://www.aroundtherings.com/articles/view.aspx?id=43421

This report from The Local in Norway speculates on a possible bid from Krakow in Poland ...

http://www.thelocal.no/20130608/oslo-moves-step-closer-towards-2022-olympic-bid
ski holidays
I'd have thought both the Ukraine and Krakow are too close geographically to Sochi to have much chance of a successful bid? The IOC likes to spread events around a bit.
(But hey after the World Cup was awarded to Qatar, who knows what can happen in the higher echelons of sport these days rolling eyes )
snow report
Dubaian, If the World Cup can go to Qatar maybe Scotland should bid for the Olympics?
snow conditions
chrisb, Guid idea, mon. An' we'll dae it in summer !!! Laughing Laughing snowHead snowHead Laughing Laughing
snow conditions
Austrians will be due an Olympics by then! Would guess Innsbruck might go again, They have been close the last two votes
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy