Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Accomodation in Solden/ Mayrhofen/ Saalbach. 3/ 7 Nights

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Here's a tricky one to test you over these summer weeks.

Our guys ski trip next year is likely to be split: half going for 7 nights, half for 3 nights. It has been deemed that we are going to Austria (even though flights aren't great from Bristol, for the weekenders).

The above 3 resorts are on our shortlist, due to good skiing, good Apres and being new destinations for the bulk of us.

Does anyone have any ideas on good accomodation which will potentially accept about 6-8 people for 7 nights and 6-8 people for 3 nights? We are happy with either B&B or HB, ideally want to keep to a reasonably low budget, but realise this may not be possible.

Any tips would be gratefully received.

Thanks
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
For Saalbach, fly from Bristol to Salzburg with Easyjet, then a 8-pers VIP Minibus Taxi from the Holiday Shuttle company.

For accommodation, try the booking service from the Tourist Office at www.saalbach.com

Suggested B&Bs: any of the Pensions on the main road such as the Norika, Konig, Ripper, Friis or Hagar would be good choices as they are close to the village centre and the beginners slopes finish in the back gardens of these properties, so you can ski to the back door. Contact them direct for the best deals.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
+1 for the Konig. Excellent place, good location, fantastic food, genuine friendly service.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
EdYarker, alot depends on when you want to go to be honest as to whether you will get a part week in Sölden. I can recommend Pension Garni Jacquline and the associated Haus Katherina. This is the family of Katherina Wilmhelm who was a member of the austrian Ladies ski team for a while. The Pension is B&B mainly although I think they also do half-board, the apartment house built next door has apartments that can be used as B&B rooms or self-catering. They are fitted out to a very high standard as well with each room having its own key if you are on a B&B basis.

Getting in touch with the Tourist Office and dealing directly with the owners of the accommodation is the best bet - they will all be able to understand English so language should not be a problem. The Tourist office probably has a higher level of English than many native-speakers and can help out at both ends where language may be a hurdle that has to be tackled! wink
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks for the useful suggestions.
At the moment we are reasonably flexible on dates and are happy to do late Jan/early Feb or mid March if it allows us to stick together and keeps costs down.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
One of the many ways is:

Google map the resort.

Then type "hotel"

Check each one near the chairlifts for convenience, price, facilities etc.

Sending an email to the B&B (Pensions) is normally the cheapest as small B&B charge less than large hotels with Internet sites.

It is quite acceptable to stay less than a full week in most Austrian resorts as I seldom do. They are more accommodating than the Swiss and the French.

Another way is to check out what is on offer by Bergflex.com. They offer a full range from a cow shed (only running water) to 5 Star hotels. My early stays in Austria was through this site which only provide the site details and I have to contact the accommodation providers myself. Standard and value for money of Austrian accommodation are best among the Alps.

My B&B cost was 40 Euro/head in Zell am See (handy location for skiing Sallbach and Kaprun too) in 2004, 22 Euro/head in Mayrhofen in 2008 (only a few minutes walk to Penken Chairlift) and 41 Euro/head in Solden in 2011 (as a couple paying 41 Euro night in a 600-sqft self catering flat that can sleep 5 to 6. We stayed 5 nights sking both Solden and Obergurgl).
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Another +1 for the Konig, excellent hotel. There's a good chance we'll be back next year.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

Suggested B&Bs: any of the Pensions on the main road such as the Norika, Konig, Ripper, Friis or Hagar would be good choices

Also the B&B next door to us, the Pension Grafleiten (www.grafleiten.at) which is essentially ski-in ski-out, being directly opposite the Kohlmais lift station. It's had another floor added this summer so may have plenty of room.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
In Mayrhofen Haus Monika is a brilliantly positioned (50m from Penkenbahn) B & B. They will take you for short stays. We have managed short trips at Hotel Garni Glockenstuhl, Maria Theresia, Perauer, Viktoria and Alpenschossl. The Perauer is my favourite but for location and value for money the Monkia wins hands down (I like the food at the Perauer)

Make sure you travel Saturday to whenever to avoid blcking more than one week.

We have also stayed in the Apartments Blumenhaus/Sandhofer for 4 nighjts on a numer of occasions.

The Schneekarhutte at 2000m will also do short stays, beat the queues but have a horrendous hangover (what else is there to do stuck up a mountain Smile )?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Sölden has one of the best skiing areas in Austra in my opinion! The glacier is amazing, I've spend nearly all my time there! About the accommodations: IF you're going there, you really have to book early, the cheap/affordable ones are really quick sold out. But it's a great trip nonetheless, worth the money!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
We got 4 nights booking at the Hotel Sunny in Solden (via Booking.com but you can book directly through the hotel website.). Travelling Jan 14 so can't say what it is like.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy