Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Portes du Soleil - which village would you stay in?

Poster: A snowHead
Hello,

We are looking at PdS next year, probably late January and wanted to see which village people would recommend.

We all love getting mileage under our belts and steer towards challenging reds. We've done 3V to death and have skied Paradiski and Espace Killy plus LDA & L2A, so somewhere new is what we are looking for. We aren't into drinking all night, so it's the skiing that's key.

Would appreciate any thoughts

Sid
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
For best access to skiing rather than commuting I'd say Avoriaz but then you are paying a nightlife penalty.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
As long as there are a couple of decent bars I'm not too worried, don't need a Folie Douce to keep me amused
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Morzine for convenience (imho) - lets you head either way in the morning.
Les Gets would be my preference, but means crossing Morzine if you want to clock up the km on the "main" PdS side of the area (not a massive deal - get bus back if need be).
Someone will no doubt be along to recommend Chatel instead.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Sid, I'm biased, but to my view, Morzine is best of compromises.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
If it is on piste mileage that appeals, then, in IMHO, the PdS is as good, if not better, than most. My preference,of the villages I have used, is Les Gets: small, compact and with enough nightlife to keep most entertained. It is, however, on the periphery of the ski area. The larger Morzine, and the tiny Montriond, both have attractive qualities and are more central for skiing the entire PdS. Avoriaz is, to all intents and purposes, the most central of the PdS villages. Again, it has sufficient nightlife to easily keep you entertained for a week. Can't comment on the villages on the Swiss side. Have skied in most, but haven't lived in any.
I have skied 3V, Paradiski, Espace Killy etc and think PdS compares favourably with any of the other 'mega resorts' I have experienced. Enjoy.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
jasmck159, thanks, that's a really useful evaluation
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
For balance, I would say that Chatel also gives you options. You can go from Super Chatel over to Morgins and the Swiss side, or Torgons, or start from Linga to head to Pre la Joux and them Avoriaz. The skiing in Pre la Joux is very good (plenty of reds here) and quieter that Avoriaz, though in January it may be quieter there anyway.

I didn't make it as far as Morzine as I was still learning, but I'm assured it's doable.

Chatel itself if fairly small. There are a few bars, some with live music, so it's not completely dead. The downside would be getting between Chatel and Linga - anyone know if there's a bus? There was talk of a connecting bubble between the two, but I don't think it ever got built.

One big difference I was aware of between the PdS and the other areas you mentioned is the number of drag lifts and slow chairs here, unless that's improved over the last 5 years.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Yup, very possible for a competent red-run skier to do a full loop, and yep there's a bus between Chatel and Linga. We started at Ardent usually, skied to Chatel-Linga, bus to Super-Chatel, over to Morgins, up the other side, along to Champery, back over to Avoriaz, and finish off back in Ardent.
Most (all?) of the drag lifts are over on the Swiss side. Virtually everything on the French side must be fast chairs now? Been a while since I skied there, so can't give the most up to date news on that side of things (only been MTBing there recently, where you skip half the chair lifts anyway).
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I'm very enthusiastic about Chatel, so I think it's great...

There are free buses all over the place, and if you stay in a catered chalet they all offer minibus service !

Once you're out skiing you most likely won't want to change between linga/pre la joux and Super chatel.

In my opinion the skiing is easier to access than morzine, especially if you're going to get the prodains gondola... you may as well stay In Avoriaz if you're going to do that everyday.

If you stay in Chatel you can access the whole PDS with minimum hassle maximum skiing and better access to the swiss side... add to the fact it's almost 300m higher than moz and much more French...
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I've only ever stayed in Morzine (Montriond - flat 20 mins walk from the centre) but couldn't recommend it more highly. Some days we'd start off at Ardent and from there, the world is your oyster up to Avoriaz, over to Switzerland, Chatel etc. We too are a group that likes to ski miles. Other days we've started at the Nyon lift and gone up to the other side (there's some great challenging reds up there) and over to Les Gets.
I've always stayed in a chalet where the hosts pick us up at whatever lift we want each day - often it was in Morzine town itself so we could have a few drinks when the town is buzzing around 4.30pm/5pm.
The advantage of Morzine is that you can choose either side (Nyon/Les Gets/Mont Chery/Morzine) or the wider PdS side (Avoriaz/Chatel/Switzerland) without too much hassle and flexibly.

That said, i'd love to have a short break in Les Gets sometime as the village seems just lovely. Probably just what andy said above.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
andy wrote:
Most (all?) of the drag lifts are over on the Swiss side. Virtually everything on the French side must be fast chairs now? Been a while since I skied there, so can't give the most up to date news on that side of things (only been MTBing there recently, where you skip half the chair lifts anyway).

In the PDS I've only skied Morzine/Les Gets and Avoriaz and not gone much further afield - but would tend to agree with this. Most of the drag lifts can be easily avoided and I've never actually taken one while there.

Most of the others are quick, either detachable or fixed grip with a rolling matt to get you up to speed, though there are a couple of irritating exceptions.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Chiming in for the Swiss side I would say, don't rule out Champery. It is quiet but has bars and restaurants and is very pretty. A cable car gets you to Les Crosets (or there is also a chairlift). Crosets has extensive skiing but once you have "done" that, from there two chairlifts will see you in the Fornet bowl above Avoriaz.

Morgins is also a pretty village but access to the French side is slightly longer. Les Crosets and Champoussin are both small (as villages) and maybe a bit too quiet for a first time.

There are still drag lifts on the Swiss side, although fewer every year - Morgins/Champoussin installed a fast six man chair last season, which replaced several drags, and there is a plan for a new chair on the circuit between Champoussin and Les Crosets at Point de L'Au next season.

Have a great time wherever you decide to stay Very Happy
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Champery is the most cozy place and gives you an excellent base for exploring the best area for skiing. The only bad thing is that there is no skiing back to town unless you take a bus from further up the valley. The main street is your classical Swiss street with good resturants and some places to chill out. Apart from that I would say that Chatel is also pretty good as it is both quite a nice town and is in the heart of the whole system.

The worst place in my view is Avoriaz. Ugly city and crowded.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Another subjective contribution here. Les Gets offers a great mix and I certainly haven't found it to be some far-flung off-shoot: while it might not be as central as Morzine, I had great fun getting from Les Gets to Morzine in January. Of the two, I found Les Gets to be a bit more family-friendly: firstly, in the sense that the skiing was slightly easier, especially into the resort centre; and secondly, in that the resort has enough to keep everyone entertained in the evenings, but is not too noisy (it's not a massive party town).

To offer just a modicum of balance, I should probably point out that Morzine is a significantly larger resort and, therefore, has rather more going on in terms of apres ski. If you're looking for big nights out as well as days on the slopes, Les Gets might not be the one. Whichever resort you choose, you're in for a real treat.
latest report
Champery is a nice place but it seemed very expensive to me the last time I was there.
snow report
dlpressley, trouble is, Les Gets to Morzine is not the problem. Les Gets to Avoriaz for a group who want mileage under their belts, is more of a problem. I've been there countlesss times and love it for everything it has to offer but it's just a bit off the PDS track. Morzine offers the best of both worlds imo (in this case).
latest report
marmotte16 wrote:
dlpressley, trouble is, Les Gets to Morzine is not the problem. Les Gets to Avoriaz for a group who want mileage under their belts, is more of a problem. I've been there countlesss times and love it for everything it has to offer but it's just a bit off the PDS track. Morzine offers the best of both worlds imo (in this case).

Agreed. If you go to Les Gets its a bit of a faff getting to the other resorts. If you stay near the centre of Morzine there's very good access to the PDS and Les Gets, but for the very best access to the PDS you really can't beat Avoriaz...but then you'll be living in a shoe box for the week!
snow report
Well like many snowHeads I am not that keen on the Frenchies, so Morzine is the place to stay. Never met a French person there once. Lots of British people, great place.
ski holidays
Haha - that's kinda true. Australians too, and one yank in the chalet last time I was there. Oh and 1 reigning (French) world champion MTBer, who was very outnumbered on home turf.
latest report
Morzine full stop - not because I like it particularly but it is right in the middle of the two main areas. Tried Morgins once - nice village but too far out of the way from the Les Gets sector to risk getting there and back in a day.
ski holidays
I have not ever stayed in Chatel, but it seems nice enought to pass through.

There is a project this summer to connect Linga base to Chate for next winter.. Which opens up a whole bundle of fun stuff, maybe.

Imo, as I mention I have a bit of Morzine history so I am biased.

Les Gets is a nice village, better protected architecture wise than Morzine has been but, like Torgon is on the PDS outskirts.

I am afraid that the idea of a week in Avoriaz leaves me a little cold, but hey, I used to sell hollidays there! And I can eat quite enough cheese and ham dishes at home.

Morzine is a little more cosmopolitan (honest) and you have most options, although some of them do require routing through the Avoriaz system.

Thie French side is mostly fast detachable lifts these days, the Swiss side, not so much...
snow report
Ok... My input would be Avoriaz or Morzine... Again, not because I especially like either of them, but if easy access and mileage is your thing, then you have got to be central. I stayed in Chatel last season and really enjoyed the town... Nice bars and restaurants and very picturesque, however, the 'getting around', I thought, was a faff... Having to get the bus to Linga or PLJ isn't too bad but it isn't a 2 minute bus journey... Heading up from the Super Chatel lift is beautiful on powder day and you probably wont beat it for scenery, but there were 'a lot' of annoying drags... And, I don't say this because I am a border, I say this as someone that wants to ride slopes, not just between lifts... which is kind of what you feel like you're doing, as the pistes are not that long at all...

Didn't make it across to the further Swiss ski stations... Hopefully the new lift in Morzine will reduce the incredible queues there as well. All in all a fantastic location to be in with endless miles of the white stuff... I am sure you/ll have a ball, wherever you stay...

As a sidenote, don't discount places like St Jean d'Aulps as well... You'll get a lot more accommodation for your buck here, and if you don't mind a 15 minute drive to the lift (Ardent or Morzine) then the whole place is a gem of a village, and it has it's own VERY quiet ski station in La Grande Terche... The place is rarely busy and powder hangs here for days after everywhere else gets tracked out!!!!! Smile

Enjoy buddy Smile
snow report
AlpineAddict, st Jean to prodains or Ardent n 15 mins?
ski holidays
Been many times to the PDS. Personally I would stay in Morzine as you get the best of both worlds. Many chalets will say they are based in Morzine when they are actually outside of it. If this is the case they will transport you to the lifts each day. Try and get dropped off at the Ardent lift as it given you much better access to the PDS. I love the whole PDS, best ski place ive been to.
snow report
Thanks to everyone for their comments, certainly a lot to think about but am erring towards Morzine particularly because there are so. Any options for accommodation.
Thanks again
ski holidays
under a new name wrote:
AlpineAddict, st Jean to prodains or Ardent n 15 mins?

Definately to Ardent, but may Scott meant Pleney?! Although Depends on where you are in STJD'A, as if you are by their lifts, then it will be more like 20. We stayed in Bas Thex and that was only 15 mins to Ardent in heavy snow conditions, Pleney about the same.

I would say you need to decide on whether you are driving. As AA said, dont discount the villages if you are driving. If you arent, then its Morzine all the way; ticks all the boxes for most. If you are driving, give up on the town and move slightly out for much better sqm/$$. Montriond is a great option if you can afford it as the Ardent lift is only 5 minutes away and arguably the best PDS access point - central and quiet with some lovely end of the day runs back to the car. If you cant find what you want in Montriond, then look at StJD'A and Bas Thex. We have bought in Le Biot and thats plenty close enough for us - 15 to 20 mins from Ardent/Pleney MAX. I would rather sacrifice being in the town, than the size and comfort of the accomodation, but that will be totally different to some, who want apres and ski in/out.

As for lifts, we were there 5 days and didnt do a single tow although didnt cover any more than Linderets/Morzine/Les Gets blues.

Sorry if none of that helps.
snow conditions
Hi all

I also need a suggestion.
I'm going for a 1 week ski in that area and wonder which village is better for us. Period - a week MID January 2014.
We are 1 adult and 1 child (9 years old) who like to go half day ski school and also do long easy blue runs.
I wonder if to stay in Avoriaz, Morzine or Les-Gets?
I got mixed feeling about Avoriaz ski-in/out option and also the water-park.
But Les-gets or Morzine area seems more suitable for our SKI level and the runs seems easier/nicer.
We are pretty novice and don't need the whole PDS area...
I won't have a car.

Thanks
Zvi
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
jackmate, sounds like you'll get the best value and most fun out of Les Gets.
ski holidays
jackmate, welcome to Snowheads. snowHead Yes, Les Gets sounds ideal for your needs. The BASS ski school is excellent, though not cheap. Small classes, top tuition. I think there are other good options too. You would only need to the Les Gets pass.
ski holidays
Thanks for the answers and welcome.
Is there a prefered area or place in Les-gets or it is small enough and everywhere is good?
Do you think it is possible to be in the same group in ski school (if we at same ski level)? We know to ski but not parralel (about 1-2 weeks experience).

I'm trying to find an apartment (without meals) Sunday-Sunday basis at maximum 450Euro per week for mid January. Do you think it is reasonable? I found some in Morzine already but after reading some posts here, it seems Les-Gets is better for our needs.

Last question: Do you think it is worth going one day to Avoriaz aqua park (instead of sking for half day or something)?

I found good transportation with ski-lifts company (do shared transfer in the 24/7 and I need one in the middle of the night).

Thanks
Zvika.
latest report
jackmate, My opinion would also be that Les Gets is the place for you... Beautiful village, lovely tree lined runs and access across to Morzine if you want to... There is also Mont Cherry on the opposite side as well, having some of the best runs in the area IMO...

There are two main access point to the ski area... Right at the end of the village (furthest from Morzine) and dead central... I would imagine that all the ski schools will operate from the central, main lifts...

No idea about ski school, sorry, and I think €450 will certainly buy you an apartment in Jan, although I can't say how 'comfy' it will be... RE the Avoriaz aqua park... You're on a ski holiday!!!! My advice would be to ski Smile Unless it is atrocious weather, but then it might be a faff to get all the way up there...

Have fun mate, and welcome to snowheads Smile
snow report
jackmate wrote:
Thanks for the answers and welcome.
Is there a prefered area or place in Les-gets or it is small enough and everywhere is good?
Do you think it is possible to be in the same group in ski school (if we at same ski level)? We know to ski but not parralel (about 1-2 weeks experience).

I'm trying to find an apartment (without meals) Sunday-Sunday basis at maximum 450Euro per week for mid January. Do you think it is reasonable? I found some in Morzine already but after reading some posts here, it seems Les-Gets is better for our needs.

Last question: Do you think it is worth going one day to Avoriaz aqua park (instead of sking for half day or something)?

I found good transportation with ski-lifts company (do shared transfer in the 24/7 and I need one in the middle of the night).

Thanks
Zvika.

Les Gets is pretty small, but you want to stay nearer the center for the schools as AA says. Contact the schools about being in the same group.

Les Gets should be cheaper IIRC than Morzine (unless demand/supply dictates a little premium) so 450 should be ok, but not plush.

From Les Gets to the waterpark is totally not worth it. Feels like you could ski to Morzine quicker than driving and without a car it will be a pain in the a$$.

If you are that set on the waterpark, you need to stay in Morzine, preferably by the Super Morzine lift but you can of course walk across Morzine.
latest report
We've been to PdS a handful of times in recent years on short trips. We've mainly been based in Avoriaz and Chatel but have been round all the resorts whilst out there. Here are my views for what they are worth:

Avoriaz: Good access to slopes, decent village in terms of bars/restaurants, good altitude hence good snow. The horses are annoying and smelly rather than charming and romantic in my view. A minor downside of Avoriaz is that there are a few bottleneck areas that tend to generate queues easily.

Morzine: Seems like a great village. We didn't stay there but have skied "through" a few times and had a few drinks. Great bars/restaurants/shops - the best variety on offer in PdS i'd say. You have to walk around a bit in ski boots, particularly if you want to get from one side of the resort to the other and you can't be bothered waiting on the silly train thing. The big advantage is the opportunity to go either side of the PdS but the drawback is that both sides generate good sized queues easily.

Chatel: A bit disjointed because of the split level village. Not an ideal layout but they cope well with buses. We stayed near Linga lift which is quieter in terms of bars, but better in terms of access to the mountains. If i was back in Chatel i'd stay in that area again. A very good value resort. If you are near Linga you can get up and amongst it quickly in the morning.

Morgins: skied through once. Would never contemplate staying there. Hike of doom from one side to the other in ski boots. Some very flat runs to get back. The village itself had a pretty expensive feel to it.

Crosets/Lindarets/Champery: All looked ok to me

Les Gets: Well laid out and nice atmosphere. Beginner orientated.

I know i haven't covered everywhere but that's the best i can do. One other thing is that the resorts on the swiss side are prone to sun exposure so get patchy quicker than others.

I have enjoyed the trips i've done in the PdS but to be honest it isn't a patch on the 3V in terms of layout, linking and size.
ski holidays
jackmate, welcome to snowHeads Very Happy

For lessons (and they will have groups up to max of 8 ) http://www.ecoledeski360.com/ski-school-les-gets.php

For a low budget apartment (shouldn't be a problem off peak January) I would contact the Office de Tourisme http://reservation2.lesgets.com/en/accommodation/start probably best by phone. IIRC they will be open now for the summer season so give them a call.

On the website you will also find a village map with a grid key which will help you find where potiential accommodation is. There are ski buses but handiest place to be for lessons would be in the general village area. 360 lessons start at 09.15 ish (ESF later) close to the bottom of the telecabine/Chavannes Express chairlift snowHead
EDIT now cannot find this map, though I'm sure it is there Confused
snow report
What is the main difference between Morzine and Les-gets? Wouldn't it be wiser to stay in Morzine (19-26/01/2014) so in case of bad snow conditions we can go to Avoriaz?
Again, we are pretty novice (about 1-2 weeks experience) and like long cruising blue runs (not steep).
It seems there might be an issue to get a group lesson for both me and my kid (because of age difference) and private lessons are quite expensive.
I plan to take about 4 or 5 days morning classes with my kid.
ski holidays
Les Gets probably has easier blue runs compared with Morzine, particularly if you're not keen on steepness. Pleney is the 'main' area of Morzine and aside from the ones on the top of the hill, the blue pistes heading back down to town are probably a bit steeper than Les Gets.

It's not too much trouble to get to Les Gets from Morzine on skis, but there are a couple of tricky/steep sections on both pistes which lead there. Granges has a steepish narrowish winding section which I think is south facing - always been slushy/soft when I've done it! Crocus->Bruyere has a steepish but very wide part just before the Folliets Du Golf lift.

I believe there is actually an undocumented route on a road through trees which avoids these but can't remember where it is any more.
snow conditions
driz, i think you mean the cat track, which is now a classified Blue, under the name of Les Chardons.

jackmate, Mid Jan shouldnt have any issues with snow (touches wood) so wouldnt worry too much, although if its a real concern then Avoriaz is the place to go of course, but I cant imagine that the difference would be considerably in Jan, I think it makes more of a difference at start and end of season.
ski holidays
dennisp, ahh, so I do!
snow conditions
jackmate, As those have said above mate, I think you would be better suited in Les Gets, simply as the resort is more set up for easy 'beginner' access to everything... As you progress in the week, maybe you can head over to Morzine, and up to Avoriaz perhaps...

Snow conditions shouldn't be an issue in mid Jan... and if they're so bad that even the top areas of Lets Gets and rubbish, then it will be pretty crappy everywhere... IMO Smile
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy