Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

SNOW BLADES ??????

Poster: A snowHead
Hi im new on here so i dont know if im in the right forum lol. I was wondering if anybody has any advice ob snowblades iv read reviews that say they are pants and some say they are realy good. I have been a freestyle rollerblader for 10 years so im confident with ramps and transitions and im looking to get into the skiing side of it. I was wondering if have shorter ski's would make the transition from rollerblades to ski's easyer? Any advice would be helpful
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I think they are great. Really popular on here as well.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Powertoff, welcome to Snowheads. snowHead You will find that there is a BIG prejudice against snowblades here. They're OK, but the majority opinion here will be that you should learn on longer skis - you will probably learn very quickly and have no problem.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Some of that prejudice is by people that own them.

Speaking as an owner of such devices... I'd suggest park skis for playing in the park, which are pretty much designed specially. Blades tend to be designed for carving.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

you should learn on longer skis - you will probably learn very quickly and have no problem.

I agree with that... just seems to make sense.

I have a pair of Atomic 123's (so called as they are.. guess what.. .123cm long).
They feature a full binding and are nice and heavy which makes them respond much more like a 'real' ski.
As part of the 2nd exam for being an Austrian Ski Instructor you are required to be able to demonstrate and teach on snow blades (along with basic park stuff too).

I rarely see anyone on blades in the parks though; they all use twin-tip freestyle skis.... which are hard to learn on as they don't have much of a carve and the bindings are usually over the true centre.

IMO - go on holiday and learn to ski with a bunch of mates. Get lessons first and learn to ski on a 'normal' set-up. then hire some blades or twinnies and see how you get on.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
andy, ]
Quote:

Blades tend to be designed for carving.

+1

(that'll get them started.....)
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Blades will get you laughed out of the park. Quite rightly.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
A friend of mine who snow blades with disabled skiers says that snow blading has a lot in common with skating (roller or ice) so I reckon the OP would pick up snow blades very quickly indeed.

Powertoff, Good luck and welcome to the bear-pit, you've tied a chop around your neck with this as your first post... Wink
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks everybody for your replys i can see that snow blades arent realy liked amongst the community il look at gettin some short skis insteed
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Powertoff, and the difference would be what?
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Powertoff, or you could not follow the herd and make your own mind up.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

the difference would be what?

I've only used very old blades - the original Salomon ones. I've also used the Atomic and Wed'ze short skis and there's a world of difference.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I don't mean to offend anyone here... But I HATE snowblades... they're absolutely pointless !

Seeing people go WAY out of control with arms flailing all over the place makes me want to shove a pole in each of their hands, and do not get me started on the amount of times I've been slashed at from behind by people on those stupid things who don't care that the downhill skier/boarder has right of way AND no I don't have eyes in the back of my head!!

just get yourself some skis and be done with it. If you're a beginner skier you normally have slightly shorter skis to start with any way... when I first started a few years ago I was on 144cm, now I'm 165 cms, which come up to my nose.

again, sorry if people don't agree, this is just my experience, and not everyone has a love affair with those stupid things! if skis get referred to as planks then blades should be Twigs... then I could snap them Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Snowblades are mustard ....

(Posted before but so good that it needs to be posted again)

http://youtube.com/v/jGdZSgb9XnY
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
He wouldn't be any good at all on proper skis either wink

http://youtube.com/v/o9psb36zfRU
snow report
Insiders, +1, well said they are a PITA
snow report
Claude B,

To be fair I think the snowblades just had a bad tune up / service. wink

http://youtube.com/v/qFD61oNjEDA
snow report
DB wrote:
Snowblades are mustard ....

(Posted before but so good that it needs to be posted again)

http://youtube.com/v/jGdZSgb9XnY

LOL I hadn't seen that one before "No-one's ever tried a backflip AND a frontflip in the same trick before!" Brilliant!
snow report
Quote:

Seeing people go WAY out of control with arms flailing all over the place makes me want to shove a pole in each of their hands, and do not get me started on the amount of times I've been slashed at from behind by people on those stupid things who don't care that the downhill skier/boarder has right of way AND no I don't have eyes in the back of my head!!

Insiders, I tend to see a heck of a lot of skiers who take to the mountain like that... and boarders too.

I don't understand how such a generalisation can be made really..... can't be bothered with making any kind of analogy, just find it incredibly blinkered.
snow conditions
Enough of the bladebashing - let's see how a man who's stood top of the podium at Kitzbuhel, Lauberhorn and the World Champs performs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=k64MdVoDK-4#t=73s

and for the Auclair fans

3rd Annual Pain McShlonkey Classic | Of. Course. I. Can. from Palisades Tahoe
http://vimeo.com/62090537

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Tue 11-06-13 21:01; edited 3 times in total
ski holidays
Against some of the trend here - I like snowblades (though sold mine when plane carriage became more expensive)
Not sure I would consider them serious - but I ice-skated to a high level before skiing and they made a huge difference in the transition...
I had one of the Salomon ones where you could adjust the bindings on the slope - you can carry them while on skis - to a snow park and then have a lot of fun...

love them so much I am thinking of getting another set (if anyone has a set in the attic they don't want... Wink)

Alasdair
ski holidays
Don't pay any attention to the red trousered hoi poloi brigade on here (or the super harccore hucksters - who if they really were would love the odd blade session!) anyone I've ever known using them have thought them a blast (including me on my first ski holiday). Maybe not your only means of skiing but a fun interlude
snow report
Insiders wrote:
when I first started a few years ago I was on 144cm,

144cm are blades though, surely. I've got longer shoes than that.

Admittedly I'm a stereotype of a Turkish clown, but still.
snow report
Quote:

hucksters - who if they really were would love the odd blade session!)

Why??
ski holidays
Snowblades are a lot of fun but they are not skiing. It's a different sport. Like inner tubing, tobogganing, ski bob,etc. Have a go. But if you want to learn to ski, get skis.Powertoff,
Actually you sound to me like you might get on with a (ssshhh!) Snowboard...go find the Dark side threads...
Twisted Evil
ski holidays
^ cos its fun and it don't have to be cool to be fun
latest report
Snowbike anyone?
latest report
barry wrote:
^ cos its fun and it don't have to be cool to be fun

Why??

wink
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Mr Pieholeo wrote:
Insiders wrote:
when I first started a few years ago I was on 144cm,

144cm are blades though, surely. I've got longer shoes than that.

Admittedly I'm a stereotype of a Turkish clown, but still.

144cms aren't snowblades...
snow report
flangesax wrote:
Quote:

Insiders, I tend to see a heck of a lot of skiers who take to the mountain like that... and boarders too.

I don't understand how such a generalisation can be made really..... can't be bothered with making any kind of analogy, just find it incredibly blinkered.

doesn't matter if you find it blinkered, I did say it was just my experience.... but feel free to not quote everything I said... that's what's blinkered!
snow report
snowHead 's.... I don't think we / I am making friends very well here with a nice new user....

Insiders, hello and welcome!.... I'm not being horrible... just using the quote function (which you will use a lot as everybody does; it makes it easy for other people to put my written nonsense into context!)

Of course it is your experience (as you stated) but it is not an accurate statement, rather a huge generalisation in reference to all people on blades.
Mr Pieholeo was just making a joke (he does that and sometimes the ARE funny!)

My blades are 'short skis' really as they are 123cm long... however, they carve and they are quick and safe.... just depends who is on them I guess!
latest report
flangesax wrote:
snowHead 's.... I don't think we / I am making friends very well here with a nice new user....

Insiders, hello and welcome!.... I'm not being horrible... just using the quote function (which you will use a lot as everybody does; it makes it easy for other people to put my written nonsense into context!)

Of course it is your experience (as you stated) but it is not an accurate statement, rather a huge generalisation in reference to all people on blades.
Mr Pieholeo was just making a joke (he does that and sometimes the ARE funny!)

My blades are 'short skis' really as they are 123cm long... however, they carve and they are quick and safe.... just depends who is on them I guess!

It is a generalisation... Yes.. guilty as charged... but I can't help it if that's been my experience! after all I wasn't the one on the blades so I can't help it if I've been continuously slashed at from behind. Some skiers/boarders etc do the same but in my experience there are a greater number of totally out of control bladers...

Ever noticed how bladers swing there arms by their feet, like monkeys and apes? that's because they have almost no balance when they stand up properly, so they try and keep their centre of gravity low to avoid falling over, this equals a massive lack of control
snow conditions
Well... I tried.... Puzzled
ski holidays
flangesax wrote:
Well... I tried.... Puzzled

Yebbut the appropriate advice for the OP unless they really are wedded to the idea of blades is to apply rule 5 and learn on skis. Parks aren't designed for blades and while you could probably not come to much harm in the bunny jumps etc I think I'd far rather (if I was a jib monkey) have the support of a tail of a ski when landing from height.

The late Rich Taylor IIRC converted from rollerblades to UK champion freestyle skier in the space of a year I think.
snow report
fatbob,
agreed... but we've done that bit wink
ski holidays
+1 for blades.. Instructors hate them, but as person who skied on Blades for several years, my advise is go for a pair of 120cm Cross Max 140cm Mini Skis they are brilliant and I'd highly recommend especially for beginners as a training.. but don't get reliant on them, do a week or so on them then start moving into largers ski's.
snow conditions
Or you could ditch blades altogether and buy skiboards Toofy Grin
snow report
Kelv1n,

You never skied on blades, in the same way that you cannot blade on ski's wink
ski holidays
Kelv1n wrote:
, my advise is go for a pair of 120cm Cross Max 140cm Mini Skis they are brilliant

They indeed sound pretty special.

graeme aside , I'm now completely confused as to who is playing it straight and who is taking the wee wee in this thread.

Can we start again?

Answer to OP

Yes or no.

Flip a coin.
snow conditions
fatbob, spruce120 skiboards would be my recommendation. Csn get them direct from Spruce for less than 120 snowblades
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy