Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

French/Swiss declare war on British Transfer Companies

Poster: A snowHead
Taxi drivers at Geneva and Lyon airports have threatended to block access to the airports if the authorities don't stop unregulated British Transfer Companies from picking up clients.

http://www.lematin.ch/suisse/suisse-romande/Taxis-en-colere-les-choses-bougent-a-Geneve/story/13170252
http://www.lematin.ch/suisse/taxis-colere-greves-programmees/story/26196770
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quite right. I bet a few TO's offering free transfers using a UK registered minibus are worried!
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I think they should be Toofy Grin Mind you not just ones using UK registered minibuses should be worried I think even French plated ones should be if they don't have the correct licenses.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Are there many unlicensed transfer companies?
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I think taxi drivers preventing people access to airports might find themselves in a spot of bother if it prevents a chartered plane from leaving - could be interesting to see how the airport authorities in the airport respond to an unofficial checkpoint set up at entrance and exit. Or we might just find flights for next season go to Chambery or other airports instead of Geneva and Lyon - I suspect the authorities would soon put a stop to it on that basis.

Having been taken hostage by french fishermen in a similar type of dispute, I can confirm that the level of organisation required to actually impose such a thing is utterly incompatible with the ability of your average taxi driver. The other transfer companies will just stop the transfer bus outside the airport and tell people to walk in, and issue instructions to arriving passengers on where to find them.

Transfer companies aren't unregulated. They are subject to the same rules as anyone else carrying passengers and driving for a living in the EU.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I would hope that they stop all unregulated transfer regardless of nationality.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Monium, actually, what you have said is not altogether correct about transfer drivers for UK based companies having the same permit as local taxi drivers. There actually is quite a big difference in some cases, but I think I will let the transfer company people on here explain the difference if they wish to join this thread.

Flying in and out of Geneva very often, I have heard complaints about the British companies using the taxi parking areas before, this is not new, but it will be interesting (perhaps very annoying) if they do start disrupting flights when you need to travel for work.

Having just read the articles it sounds to me like the Airport authorities might be the ones to take action togther with the police rather than the taxi drivers themselves. This could become a very big issue if not sorted out quickly. They could easily stop the minibuses at the border and not let them enter Switzerland. I am very interested to read what those in the business think will happen or have you already sorted this problem out. I am sure it is not a new one.

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Mon 26-11-12 19:32; edited 2 times in total
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
davidof wrote:
declare war

Run-of-the-mill tabloid hyperbole. I personally prefer 'flashblock'.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I'm with snowcrazy, on this, I was driving a minibus out of GVA last season and it was hard work, I will vote GVA as one of the worst airports in the world. Not got the time to go into details but I think the basic problem is they have increased airside but got no room to increase passengerside so the transfer companies are pushed over to the migros car park with lots of rules and no space which creates tension and some drivers/companies try to shortcut the very swiss system. Now I'm living in CH I have found out that is near impossible.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
i think the main issue is probably people not paying the £400 quid or so GVA demands for use of their car park in a commercial, passenger-carrying vehicle...
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
stevomcd wrote:
i think the main issue is probably people not paying the £400 quid or so GVA demands for use of their car park in a commercial, passenger-carrying vehicle...

This got us last season, it was not widely known of until Jan when the police started to check for permits.That was fun, not.
Having your guests not loaded to load on to the minibus, Their luggage could but they were put in a taxi to the border and then you could pick them up in France.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

we might just find flights for next season go to Chambery or other airports instead of Geneva

Laughing Laughing Laughing Chambery being so very well equipped to carry hugely increased traffic.

For passengers on scheduled airlines - and drivers in ordinary cars meeting them - Geneva is brilliant. Fast, cheap, easy. Or it was, until they decided to close the arrivals car park just as the winter season begins.....
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Not the end of the world to walk a few 100 yards up the road to the multi-story surely?

Most punters coming from LGW will have walked 10 times that to their gate
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Have you ever tried to park in that multi-storey? Evil or Very Mad
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Having read the articles, it's definitely the £400 quid thing...

Licence to carry paying passengers in the Canton of Geneva or something similar.

I used to have one and still regularly got abuse from the taxi drivers. I haven't been going to Geneva much over the last few winters, so haven't had it, but might be doing more trips this year so should probably get one...
ski holidays
stevomcd, If last season is anything to go by you had best get one, there were checks often on a Saturday from Jan onwards.

red 27, Your ave'ing a laff governor, most punt... guests moan about walking to the doors/the crowded area/the customs/ the baggage reclaim/ not been greeted with a smile/ sleazyjet/raynair extra costs/ the weight of their own bags/ the kids running riot/ not been allowed to smoke... I could go on and all this before you've said your greeting.
latest report
To be accurate, both articles are from a swiss paper and refer to "foreign" transfer companies, ie non-swiss (and non-french in the second). British is not mentioned.

There are very few non licenced-up-to-the-eyeballs minibuses going to GVA these days, for two reasons imho:

1/ The crackdown has been going on for at least 10 years already. All the big transfer companies get controlled regularly, and most of the small one-chalet one-van people have given up trying to jump through the legal hoops and just farm their transfers out to the big boys for a cut.

2/ Since the price wars between the big boys there's no money in it for "chancers" anyway. You need to be regularly full both ways to make money; and you can't do that without being able to openly advertise, and able to consolidate bookings using economies of scale.

The taxi drivers are whinging about a situation which is already history, because they can't see that their own greed has created a legal transfer-company business with which they can't compete. rolling eyes

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Mon 26-11-12 23:17; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Quote:

Have you ever tried to park in that multi-storey?

stevomcd, is that P26? The one that invariably says "complet"?

One of those articles says the taxi drivers are threatening to block the airport - wouldn't be difficult for them - would be a pain!

If Shep is correct, then more checks will just slow things down, without reducing the number of taxi drivers (assuming they all have the relevant Swiss authorisations).

I recall arranging a French taxi to go and pick up some friends coming in to Geneva, a couple of years ago. The taxi met them on the French side of the airport because he said he wasn't allowed to pick up on the Swiss side. But when I got a taxi transfer, a few years previously, it was a Chamonix based Brit and he picked us up on the Swiss side. So did the Mountainsun transfer bus, last month.
snow report
Pretty much agree with shep summary..... I still think that there's the odd "cowboy with a bus" out there but not many these days.

The Taxis have threatened to blockade GVA from transfer buses every year for quite a while now that I can remember and every year it gets nowhere.

The other thing is try turning up at GVA with the family, luggage and skis and asking a Swiss Taxi to take you to any of the French resorts!!
snow conditions
The other thing with GVA is it's in Switzerland and Switzerland is not in the EU, ergo you need a work permit to work in Switzerland (even if you live outside CH) - and what is driving a transfer bus if not working? (It's obviously a little more complicated than that)
snow conditions
BenAS wrote:
I would hope that they stop all unregulated transfer regardless of nationality.
Agreed.
ski holidays
Hi all,

Here's where it's at:

1. The Swiss taxi drivers have a loud voice at the airport. Indeed, one could pose the question to the airport authorities of 'who actually runs the airport?' Because if you speak to the airport management (as we do) they are either powerless or spineless, whichever way you wish to look at it.

The fact of the matter is that the Authorities of the Canton of Geneva do not want the English owned French operators in their airport. They want to keep all the business to Swiss Registered businesses and the Swiss Taxis - Effectively a protectorate and restricted market practice.

They went as far as stating at a meeting of all the 'ENGLISH' owned transfer operators at the airport last year, that passengers had to have booked their onward airport transfer at least 24 hours before arriving at Geneva Airport. (they even put a slide stating this on the overhead projector screen). They have reiterated this again in a circular sent out to 'ENGLISH' owned operators last week. This is infact is NOT true and is not required at all by any law Swiss or otherwise. So they are spreading a falsehood. (The year before, they tried to say you had to book your transfer before the plane arrived in Swiss Airspace - because AlpLine had a deal with easyjet where you could purchase your ticket onboard the plane during the flight).

They also had the cheek to inform us all that anyone arriving in Geneva Airport without an onward transfer ticket would be 'FORCED' to take a taxi or the public bus'!

Stupid isn't it, if you think it through: Hmm.. what about people arriving by train?, who live or work in Geneva? Who are returning a hire car? This would mean they could never take a transfer, (or actually even a Swiss Taxi, if you're applying the same 'rule' equally) because they are already in Geneva.

The Swiss taxi Drivers are not in the slightest bit interested in facing the truth. They see ALL English transfer companies as rogue operators 'from abroad'. Whether in fact they are correctly licenced or not.

Markets change over time, and rather than continuinely whinging about 'competition' they need to move with the times.

2. The situation is not helped by the Xenophobic attitude and lack of legal understanding of the law by both SCOM and the Airport Police. As long ago as 2008 COMCO on behalf of the Federal Government wrote to the Canton of Geneva informing them that the 400CHF that they charge (under menance/threats) is an illegal charge and violates international trade agreements between Switzerland and the EU. The Canton have taken no notice of this and SCOM (Service de Commerce) continue to demand payment.

It is worth noting that a Swiss Operator in the Canton of Valais (not Geneva) who was charged the 400CHF has recently obtained a Court Judgement in his favour.

3. Switzerland has also signed up to a treaty with the EU on the Freedom of Movement of Workers. This is relevant because no restriction should now be placed on workers from the EU wishing to work in Switzerland. Technically, this means that it could be argued that the 400CHF is a restriction.

4. Regretably, there are still a number of unlicensed and therefore uninsured operators out there. I can think of at least a handful. Who either conduct 'grand cabotage' or who operate more vehicles for which they have licences for. There is also a complete lack of understanding of transport law by many people that are running minibuses. For example, some that take the exam for their 'Certificate of Professional Competence' believe that this entitles them to run vehicles. No, they still have to apply for their actual Operating Licence.

5. Then you have the 'chalet licence' or 'florists licence' as its known. This is where someone with no qualifications at all can ask for a licence to operate ONE 8-seat minibus alongside an existing business. They can only transport their own guests/customers, and the income from this activity must not be more than 50% of the income from the main business.

However, many people use this licence to offer transfers to the general public. This is illegal, and justifiably the Swiss Authorities should be concerned. However, when you apply for the Canton Licence paying your 400CHF they only ask to see ONE Operating Licence, NOT one for each vehicle.

6. The Swiss Taxi Drivers are thuggish. My Airport staff have been abused and physically assaulted by some of them in the past. Despite making formal complaints the Airport Police do not take action.

Last winter, we had a total of 10 minibuses that had their tyres slashed by the Taxi Drivers whilst parked at Geneva Airport. How do we know it was the taxi drivers? Well, in one incident, it was getting dark, andtwo passengers were already sitting in the vehicle. The taxi driver came up to the bus, slashed the tyre, and then the passengers saw him return to the taxi rank and give his fellow taxi drivers the 'thumbs up'. This is hardly the conduct of a transport 'professional' and is very dangerous and potentially places lives at risk.

My advice, is to spread the word about the 'welcoming' attitude at/of Geneva Airport, the Swiss Taxi Drivers, and their, and SCOM's Restrictive Trade Practices. Write to English newspapers and most importantly write/email the Swiss Tourist Board in London. They are run by the Federal Government, not the Canton of Geneva snowHead

We will continue to fight for the right of arriving passengers freedom to chose their method of onward transport to a ski resort.

Without wishing to blow my own trumpet, I've 30 years experience in International Passenger Ground Transportation, so know the International Laws pretty well snowHead I have also met with the lawyer who wrote the Geneva Taxi Law (who also happens to legally represent the Geneva Taxi Drivers). I do not think I have ever come across a more poorly drafted piece of transport legislation which has more holes in it than a Swiss cheese.

One final point. The Swiss Taxi drivers should look at their own Canton of Geneva taxi laws' defination of a 'taxi': 1. A vehicle that is rented and paid-for for a period of time (I paraphrase). - (That is not a shared transfer minibus where a customer pays for 'a seat'.

rant over Laughing

Andrew
SARL Chamexpress.com

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Tue 27-11-12 11:31; edited 5 times in total
snow report
If this thread conforms to type we will be hearing from a Swiss Taxi Driver (thuggish or otherwise) shortly with his 'version of the truth'

Quote:
English transfer companies? String 'em up, it's the only language they understand
latest report
Chamexpress wrote:
Last winter, we had a total of 10 minibuses that had their tyres slashed by the Taxi Drivers whilst parked at Geneva Airport.

Disgraceful abuse of the Swiss Army knife.
snow conditions
Chamexpress, that was a really interesting post.
snow report
Chamexpress, Wow.

Also, somewhat bizarre that I am reasonably sure that at least some of the Alpybus drivers are Swiss or at least Swiss resident - and the van in question has GE plates...
latest report
Chamexpress, excellent post, but just a couple of points:

Chamexpress wrote:
Markets change over time, and rather than continuinely whinging about 'competition' they need to move with the times.

However, that is the culture in Switzerland, so you just have to work with it rather than banging your head against a brick wall.

Quote:
3. Switzerland has also signed up to a treaty with the EU on the Freedom of Movement of Workers. This is relevant because no restriction should now be placed on workers from the EU wishing to work in Switzerland. Technically, this means that it could be argued that the 400CHF is a restriction.

It may be relevant but is far from the whole story. EU citizens still need work permits (except for a very limited number of days per annum, which still have to be notified in advance to the authorities) - the situation is simply that work/residence permits now cannot be denied to EUs except for compelling reasons. For residence this includes sufficient means to live on unless you have a contract of employment in hand. For cross-border commuters it should be automatic, but technically a cross-border commuter (which taking a strict view would cover transfer drivers) should apply to the local authorities for a G permit before starting work. The Swiss really don't take kindly to people trying to circumvent their systems - but IME are very amenable if you consult them and work within the system. In other words, they don't like people taking the michael and thinking they're above/outside the rules?
latest report
eng-ch

You would be correct, if the driver was working for i.e. employed by a Swiss Company and commuting in from France to their workplace of the Swiss Company. However, if the driver/staff are employed by a French Registered company with their employees base/place of work, and their residence in France and the employee is temporarily that day in Switzerland there is no permit required as they are not a cross-boarder commuter.

For example, we access Switzerland/the Swiss Market under the terms of our International Operators Licence issued under the 1999 treaty between Switzerland and the EU. Our drivers require no further permissions.

The 400CHF is a restriction placed on foreign operators as they are already legally entitiled to carry out their business in the EU without additional payment. There is no payment demanded of Swiss Taxis/Operators to come into France to collect their passengers. Therefore, to impose an additional payment for access to the market in Switzerland violates the treaty and is therefore unfair/unequal. i.e. Discrimination.

Do not assume that anyone is trying to circumvent the Swiss system. The fact is, the Swiss need to accept that if they wish to trade and have open markets with the EU and have access to the market in the EU under treaty, they have to accept that it is a two-way street.

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Tue 27-11-12 12:02; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Since it is lunch time for me I thought I would make a few comments.

Chamexpress, Andrew, thanks for explaining all that, I am pleased that someone in the business has taken the trouble to make a post. As I do not expect a Swiss taxi driver will post on this forum. Based on what I have been told by Swiss taxi drivers and my own experience, I have a few question for you or any of the other Transfer Company owners that are on this forum.

As I understand the situation. A Taxi driver in Switzerland or France must pass a commercial drivers test, 'permis de conduire obligatoire pour le transport professionnel de personnes' to take paying customers in the same way as a London Black cab driver must do, I think it is called a D1. This allows them to carry people in a registered taxi of up to 8 paying customers. They must take another test to carry more than this in a mini bus up to 16 people (le permis de conduire pour minibus jusqu'à un poids de 7.5 t et 16 passagers) and then a full PSV to carry more than this number in a coach etc. If they class themselves as a chauffeur then they must have the 'Permis officiel de chauffeur limousine de Genève'. These are all commercial drivers licences that must be passed in addition to your normal driving test before you can then get your permit to work as a taxi driver in Switzerland or France. A driver must be of a minimum age, 25 (might be 23 in France). Added to this test, many taxi drivers have also passed the 'Advanced Winter Drivers Diploma' if they are based in or go to the mountains regularly in Switzerland. In addition as already mentioned they must also have a 'Certificat de capacite pour minibus' which has been an obligation in Geneva for everyone since 2009 plus the necessary Airport registration which may not cost the same as you pay, but they must still complete these formalities.

If based in Switzerland, the vehicles they are using must also have passed the Swiss Control Technique (Swiss MOT), which is of a very high standard and all their vehicles must be fitted with winter tyres.. A Swiss law taking effect on April 1 now requires children aged up to 13 or under 150cm to ride in car seats and is one of the strictest of its kind in Europe and taxis must also comply with this new regulation. I have first hand experience of the French, British and Swiss MOT and the Swiss control is of a far higher standard. Having all these qualifications and checks in theory should ensure that they are very safe drivers in winter conditions and have vehicles 'fit for purpose' although we all know there are many crazy taxi drivers out there.

The argument from the Swiss Taxi Companies (and some French) side seems to be that foreign companies do not have to meet the same high standards at the same expense as the Swiss (French) based ones and through a loop hole in the law, where people can book in advance with a transfer company, foreign companies can then get round the need for properly qualified drivers and vehicles tested to the same standard as there own. They have higher overheads and therefore need to charge more and this makes it possible for the foreign companies to undercut the prices and they then loss work. In the present economic climate I can see their point of view, we all need to protect our jobs.

My questions.

1) How many of your transfer drivers actually hold any of these professional qualifications rather than just a normal UK drivers licences which many people have?

2) How old must your drivers be to work in the transfer business?

3) How many of your vehicles have been through the same Swiss safety check as the Swiss taxi drivers vehicles? .

4) How many of the transfer companies pay 'Swiss or French' tax and social contributions to be working in these countries rather than paying in the UK?

I think it is only fair that someone puts the other side to this debate and as I know a little about this subject, without meaning to cause offence, I think i have explained the Swiss (French) taxi drivers position. I hope what I have written give a fair appraisal of the other point of view. Very Happy
ski holidays
Firstly, I think anyone will agree that the issue and law is very complex, and to a certain extent I understand why people get upset and feel things are unfair etc. Because unless you have researched transport law fully or passed a Operators CPC exam then it can all seem very confusing.

Some of what you ask would require me to divulge commercially sensitive information. However, What I will say, is that we retain the services of a Swiss Firm of Lawyers based in Lausanne, a French Employment Barrister based in Paris and a French Interlectual Property Lawyer based in London. This ensures that our Company complies with all the legal requirements of employment and operating passenger transport services and vehicles within the EU, France and Switzerland.

We hold an International Passenger Vehicle Operators licence and also importantly have an International Regular Service Authorisation granted to us by the Swiss Federation Office of Transport in Berne and the DDE in Lyon, France: 2010/F/CH/003 which entitles us to operate a regular international scheduled service on our declared route to/from Geneva Airport and to take passengers without a prior reservation.
ski holidays
Excuse the ignorance of the matter here, but why don't the French transfer companies not just use the French side of GVA ? Surely that would obviate the problem
latest report
Chamexpress, with all respect, I think you are avoiding giving an answer to my questions with legal talk. If your drivers do not have the same qualifications as the taxi drivers that are complaining then you should admit that. Nothing is lost by doing so, people will make up there own minds about what is right and price normally speaks the loudest. Likewise with the other questions I have asked. I worded what I have written very carefully not to cause offence, but do not think your giving a legalise answer to my questions has answered any of them which makes me wonder, is perhaps the claims of the Taxi drivers more founded than you would like us to believe. To clear this up, please could you give a staight answer to each of the questions. Thanks.

(Edited to make my position clear) I do not have any interest in this business in any of the countries mentioned, but often recommend transfer companies or taxi firms to people through my facebook page. I always like to be sure people are getting the best value for money and will not find themselves in difficulty at the border or airport this season.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Tue 27-11-12 12:43; edited 1 time in total
latest report
dsoutar: You're absolutely correct, and it was something both A-T-S in the good old days, and more recently myself and AlpLine discussed doing. However, the French side is slightly longer to get to (10 - 15 mins) by road, and they have space for about a maximum of 10 vehicles to drop-off/pick-up and limited public parking. TBH there is simply not the room for 100+ transfer vehicles there.
snow report
@ snowcrazy. Since you're pushing the matter:

1. Most of my drivers hold public service vehicle driving licences, obtained by separate driving, practical and theory tests, which makes them more qualified than the swiss taxi drivers.
2. All our drivers are aged over 25. It is a requirement for employment with us.
3. Chamexpress owned vehicles are put through strict Bus tests, and have MOT's every 6 months.
4. No idea how many transfer companies pay contributions or where they pay them.

Plus, I revert to my previous post.

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Tue 27-11-12 12:47; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
oh.. i have a busy afternoon now, so won't be able to reply to any further posts for a while.
latest report
Chamexpress, Thank you for answering the questions.

1. If I understand you correctly, you are now confirming that most of your drivers hold the official 'PSV 1' as the minimum. Rather than the D1 I think it is called which all Taxi drivers must have in Switzerland. That is very good to know. Should someone I recommend be with one of your drivers, I trust the driver could show them this licence. What qualification do those that do not have this hold? Do any of your drivers also have the 'Advanced Winter Diploma' as they are often driving in very bad conditions? It would be very reassuring if they did.

In fact many Swiss taxi drivers do also have the PSV 1 qualification so it is better not to generalise and say that your drivers are more qualified than the Swiss taxi drivers. Just a small point.

I wonder if all other companies have drivers holding the PSV 1 qualification.

2) Having a minimum age of 25 is excellent. I wonder if all other companies have the same rule..

3) As I pointed out in my earlier post, the Swiss Control Technique is the highest standard of the three countries mentioned and I presume as French registered vehicles your minibuses do not take this test. However it is good to know all your vehicles are tested regularly. Again I wonder if all other companies do this.

4) I can understand you not wanting to answer this question. I know that French and Swiss requirements for employment law are much stricter than UK law and cost a great deal more to the companies. This is why I have been told by an accountant friend that many UK companies working in Europe prefer to be registered in UK and pay their staff in the UK. I should add this applies to all kinds of businesses, not just Transfer Companies.

Thanks again for answering these questions. I wonder if any of the other Transfer Companies are willing to make clear their positions regarding my questions...
snow report
Chamexpress, very illuminating, thanks.
ski holidays
under a new name, the last post of Chamexpress, did answer my questions mostly, his earlier reply most certainly did not, just legalise. I am very pleased that in his last reply he was more candid about his drivers and vehicles. However, I now wait to see what other Transfer Companies post if they are willing to join in this debate.

If they have nothing to hide then surely they should want to reassure there public that they are safe to travel with and have experienced drivers and well serviced vehicles

At the end of the day it is a competitive market and companies try and save money any way they can. But passenger safety must be the prime concern as the accidents last winter demonstrated.

I look forward to reading more from those that run these companies before I make any conclusions as to whether the Swiss/French Taxi companies are being unfair in there complaints about foreign competition.

Must get back to work myself now, will stop by again later.
ski holidays
Am I still allowed to pick my Dad up from the GVA arrivals car park next week?
snow report
Just while i finish my sandwich: I think you might be getting you driving licences confused. Swiss taxi drivers generally would not have a D1 by test, given that they are driving taxis (4 seat cars) not 16 seat minibuses. And, are we talking about Swiss 'Public' taxis, or Swiss 'Private' taxis/Limousines? (Think difference between black cabs and minicabs in the UK).

A D1 licence for hire and reward is obtained by taking a separate, stricter driving test in a 16 seat minibus. Followed by a practical and safety test and then a Drivers CPC test. It's the same as a normal PSV coach drivers test but done in a 16 seat vehicle, so that is the maximum size you can drive for hire and reward. Most of our drivers have this test.

If you have obtained your normal car driving licence before 1997 then you will have a D1 category shown on it. However, there will be a restriction code 101 which means that you can not be paid for driving a 16 seat minibus, neither can you carry paying passengers - even if, for example, they have paid for a course, hotel stay etc, that has the transport in the 16 seat minibus included in the price. You'd be surprised the number of people driving illegally like this. We recently interviewed one chap who'd been driving for the prison service as a job, despite having a 101 restriction.

However, to drive a vehicle larger than 16 seats, you take pretty much the same test as a D1 but in a larger vehicle, There is now no such thing as a Class 1 PSV, it was phased out years ago. This is how silly it has got: You used to only be able to drive the same size vehicle as that in which you passed your test.

I.e. I took my PSV test in a manual crash-gearbox routemaster double deck bus. (if you can drive one of these - it's not easy - you can drive anything!) This meant that I could drive a double-deck coach. Because it's the same size, and so was called a PSV Class 1 Manual.

Now, you can take your test in a 6 tonne, 30 seat midibus, and then can go straight out and drive 80 passengers in a double-deck Neoplan coach (think national express) which is 24 tonnes loaded. That is crazy!

I digress, but 8 of our drivers have this full PSV.

All our drivers have to pass a driving assessment at the interview stage. This is why we only interview in person. We don't do interviews by SKYPE etc. All appointed drivers then complete a full training programme once in resort which includes practical driving, theory, classroom, safety inspections etc. etc.

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Tue 27-11-12 14:01; edited 7 times in total
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy