Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Mammut Snowpulse Airbags whats in a name confusion?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
There is now a period of cross over with Snowpulse and Mammut as many will know Mammut bought out Snowpulse and are now developing the range within the Mammut brand, however they are still retaining references to Snowpulse on the bags for next season.

Some of the bags are being renamed for next season and some of these have caused a little confusion!

So I will try and explain:
Mammut have two ranges, the Protection range and the RAS range or Removable Airbag System, the Protection range replaces the Snowpulse range from last season and still has the airbag being deployed from the shoulder straps, this airbag is also removable so you can now swap between different Mammut bags, but only from the Protection range.

The RAS range has increased to cover all sizes and is still a squarer airbag which deploys from the top of the backpack.

Each range has 4 models, which have been called the same! Puzzled

So these are the Rocker, Ride, Light and Pro models so you have a:

Rocker Protection and a Rocker RAS and a Ride Protection and a Ride RAS etc etc. the sizes on each range vary and thankfully are not all the same.

As a last point its worth mentioning that the Protection airbag and the RAS airbag are not interchangeable between the backpacks. Puzzled Puzzled

Confused or not?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Equipment forum JONG Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
livetoski, is it the removable RAS system that Scott are offering in their airbag packs?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
spyderjon, yes the Scott ones are using the RAS system
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Presumably RAS are at a lower pricepoint for each size bag? Not that hard a decision but presumably given the price not many retailers will be stocking a full range of each. If they were the sales conversation goes

- What size does sir want?
- Does sir want all around coverage or removeability?
- Price is XX
- Yes sir you can have the bigger bag in RAS for the same price as the traditional smaller - that's the tradeoff.

Feckin idiots though calling everything the same and cue lots of mispricing in the eBay world.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
livetoski I'm not sure I follow this. I've just taken a look at the Mammut website and this says that the protection bag is simply a RAS enabled bag with an in-built back protector:

http://www.mammut.ch/en/productDetail/261000130_v_0216/Protection-R.A.S.-ready.html

I know that Mammut are looking at making the Snowpulse-style wrap-around airbag removable, but there's nothing on their website yet.

[edit] doh! sorry livetoski - why don't I just read your website?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
livetoski wrote:
There is now a period of cross over with Snowpulse and Mammut as many will know Mammut bought out Snowpulse and are now developing the range within the Mammut brand, however they are still retaining references to Snowpulse on the bags for next season.

Some of the bags are being renamed for next season and some of these have caused a little confusion!

So I will try and explain:
Mammut have two ranges, the Protection range and the RAS range or Removable Airbag System, the Protection range replaces the Snowpulse range from last season and still has the airbag being deployed from the shoulder straps, this airbag is also removable so you can now swap between different Mammut bags, but only from the Protection range.

The RAS range has increased to cover all sizes and is still a squarer airbag which deploys from the top of the backpack.

Each range has 4 models, which have been called the same! Puzzled

So these are the Rocker, Ride, Light and Pro models so you have a:

Rocker Protection and a Rocker RAS and a Ride Protection and a Ride RAS etc etc. the sizes on each range vary and thankfully are not all the same.

As a last point its worth mentioning that the Protection airbag and the RAS airbag are not interchangeable between the backpacks. Puzzled Puzzled

Confused or not?

If cost wasn't really an issue which range would you choose ?? Why ??
Low weight, quality, ease of use and performance in an "incident" being more important to me than ££
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
qwertyuiop7, I have the snow pulse guide 30 which would fall into the protection range, I chose this one as it is designed to provide your head and neck with trauma protection during an avalanche. I agree with your comment about £££.

I have not had to deploy it yet (fingers crossed).
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
duncan, Laughing
qwertyuiop7, I tend to like the Snowpulse style airbag which inflates around the chest, head and neck area as this offers some extra protection over the other shape of airbags, all the airbags designs do what they are supposed to so most people decide upon a number of trade offs, which as mentioned are weight, and performance, on airbags price tends to be less of a priority than other ski gear.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy