Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

should I book Meribel now?

Poster: A snowHead
Jerusalem should be Blue there are NO difficult or steep sections....... I have no idea why it's Red Puzzled
But that's what I meant about the piste maps, ha!
there are a few pistes like this, I wasted my 1st 3V's passes as was reluctant to risk reds that turned out like Jerusalem!
snowHead
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
The wide angle lens on the camera will make things look a little less steep than they really are! The top traverse along the ridge (first couple of minutes in the video) is very blue, but Jerusalem-proper (from 2:10) is I think best classified as a red. There are a couple of short sections that are a bit steep for a blue, followed by long flatter sections with the rollers in (you can't really see these in the video - Franz is taking it too easy to get significant air time), so it's best skied with a bit of speed. Franz's label "light red" is about right.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Jerusalem's red because they don't piste it every day and it's south facing so in the spring the steeper section becomes icy crud bumps. Mid season it's usually very pleasant. As kieranm said, you can't see the rollers on the video; if you can't control your line and speed you'll take off which is fun, scary or dangerous depending on your ability. It's a lot of intermediates' favourite 3V run though.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Raceplate wrote:
Jerusalem's red because they don't piste it every day and it's south facing so in the spring the steeper section becomes icy crud bumps. Mid season it's usually very pleasant.

Noted.....invaluable local knowledge Cool
Cheers
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
FYI
Theres a pretty interesting Free App for iphone that will offer routes etc based on skiing level and time available with lift n piste info for the 3V's
Not sure what the seasonaires would say about it, but I found it a useful addition to the map & radio Meribel
snowHead
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I have a sure fast way of knowing how difficult or easy an unknown piste is in the current snow conditions, much more reliable than any map or app. I send one of my sons (grown up) down it first! Smile
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
CaravanSkier wrote:
I have a sure fast way of knowing how difficult or easy an unknown piste is in the current snow conditions, much more reliable than any map or app. I send one of my sons (grown up) down it first! Smile

Haha well I could do that, although that will just create a new type of anxiety for me about what happened to my child on the way down Shocked I think if I had a choice between the two then I guess Id have to take the plunge and go for it. I could always just take my time couldnt I?
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
franzClammer wrote:
FYI
Theres a pretty interesting Free App for iphone that will offer routes etc based on skiing level and time available with lift n piste info for the 3V's
Not sure what the seasonaires would say about it, but I found it a useful addition to the map & radio Meribel
snowHead

That sounds interesting, I dont have an iphone but i have an ipad which i take with me and genereally plot out my route the day before we go. The piste map I have been looking at doesnt really say if the slope is up or down so sometimes a bit confusing to plot.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
polo99 wrote:

That sounds interesting, I dont have an iphone but i have an ipad which i take with me and genereally plot out my route the day before we go. The piste map I have been looking at doesnt really say if the slope is up or down so sometimes a bit confusing to plot.

that's good practise IMHO ....... It's great to go out n jump on lifts n play it by ear & be adaptable, especially on poor vis days. However this takes a degree of familiarity with the resort.

Maybe I'm a bit anal but I like to research my options and get a good idea of the lay of the land well in advance.
It's made a massive difference to my trips. As Dad I am default expedition leader Toofy Grin

If you are going to Meribel/3V's then a look at Google Earth shows it snowless and you can see the golf course that you'll be skiing on etc, it gives a fuller perspective of the geography than a piste map.
Also loads of SH's have spent time there and have apartments in 3V's so if you have any Q's about pistes or eateries etc don't be shy, fire away, we love to flex our connaissance rolling eyes
Ciao
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

I like to research my options and get a good idea of the lay of the land well in advance.

I think that's time very well spent - and it's enjoyable if you like that kind of stuff with maps and gradients and things. When you are not very experienced it's especially important. When I had to be in charge of a boat going over the channel (or anywhere else far away) I spent a lot of very pleasant evenings looking at tide timetables, charts, etc and getting a really good feel for it all - whereas someone more experienced wouldn't have had to spend a quarter of the time. You can't plan precisely in advance because you don't know what the wind is going to be doing, but that preparation time helps a lot.

More experienced skiers can just go and fly around, not minding where they end up.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Reading the piste map is one of my enjoyments lol. I love to study it and in fact is usually how I pick resorts. I like to look at how we will get there and back (espeically as I like to know there is always a blue option, or at least check with snowheads to see how difficult a red route would be). I love the app I have for my ipad, dont recall what it is. My husband wouold completely disagree though because every time we get off the chairlift, I like to just "double check" to make sure I am certain of where I am going, and make sure we have enough time to go back, or that there is a restauarant to stop for lunch etc. Him and the kids moan and groan and in fact its a standing joke about me and my piste map. I think Im a piste map geek! hehe
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

Him and the kids moan and groan

leave it to him one day. And if he lands up having to pay for a taxi home, or misses lunch, maybe he will appreciate your care more in future!! Happened to a friend of mine - a very good skier who knows the area well. On a "boys trip" - no wife to nag him - 16 of them ended up stranded the wrong end of the ski area when the linking lifts closed because they'd spent too long on a late, lingering, lunch. There had been 17 but one broke his collar bone on the first day because he didn't take my friend's advice to go with the "slower group" and landed up on a piste he couldn't cope with.

I remember taking your two boys down a short bit of red run they were desperate to try - and I remember the tears, too!!
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
That run is blue now, by the way! Top of it is very steep for a blue, but there's an easier way round (which you sensibly opted for).
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
pam w wrote:
That run is blue now, by the way! Top of it is very steep for a blue, but there's an easier way round (which you sensibly opted for).

I can't believe they made that a blue! Yes I remember it vividly lol. I can still see luke tumbling head over heels lol, we'll at least he got up......eventually haha. They are still as fearless. They were much braver than me this year including Micky and the three of them went down a few difficult red runs. I still have plans to come back and hopefully get to see the whole of the espace diamant. I was even trying to price a cheeky march 2014 little trip for me and mick and leave the kids at home, who knows.

I've now booked our flights to Lyon for January and I'm looking to go to la tania. I think we have decided on a chalet. Trouble is as the kids get older, the cost of the lift passes go up to adult prices, although we will be getting a three valleys family lift pass. I've got a good feeling that this will be a good area for us.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
polo99, I'm sure La Tania will be ideal. Have fun. snowHead
snow report
polo99 wrote:
they look just the sort of runs we are after. I have to ask though, the Jerusalem run looked almost like a blue. were there any difficult bits and why is it a red? and also, how can you tell that the red is going to be easy before venturing down it or do you just go on a wing and a prayer

You sound just like my O.H. What she does is stop at the top and have a coffee or something stronger whilst someone else does a reccy, based on what they say she either goes down it or not. We don't get very far but after a couple of days she knows which runs she will ski and that is it.
snow report
polo99: for a chalet in La Tania I can definitely recommend Snow Retreat.
snow report
polo99 wrote:
the Jerusalem run looked almost like a blue. were there any difficult bits and why is it a red?

You'll soon see why if you let your skis run.... Toofy Grin
ski holidays
polo99 wrote:
just go on a wing and a prayer

The joy of skiing in a nutshell Very Happy
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy