Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Did I make a mistake with our car booking - GVA

Poster: A snowHead
Right, so heading to Geneva (Morzine) in July, and flying in from Dubai (so international obviously).

We have booked a car with Sixt in the french sector, as Sixt in the Swiss sector was more. In the winter we booked with them on the Swiss side (flying in internationally with Emirates the same) and picked the car up from P51 IIRC, which was a doddle, we just walked up the hill and collected it.

Can anyone clarify if I have made a booboo, or if it as I have read somewhere, actually the same.

We wont need the toll sticker thing as we wont go on a swiss highway (I drove through Geneva and found it most pleasant, even without any form of map)!

Any help is much appreciated.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Once you realise what you are doing picking up from the French sector is easier than the Swiss. After coming through customs turn left and go up the stairs, follow the signs to France, go through French border control and the car hire desks are just there. The cars are downstairs and there is a cafe where you can have a coffee while you wait.

Return, is however, more of a pain: it can be tricky to find the drop off spot and even then I have driven trough it without finding my company (actually this happens to me often at other airport). then the walk to check in takes you past a 180 degree turn and eventually finds you standing in the luggage reclaim area of the airport, weird and you can really surprise visiting friends by greeting them at the baggage carousel. After that it is back around to checkin.

I could supply you with more details but then what is the fun of international travel if you cannot explore for yourself.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:

Return, is however, more of a pain: it can be tricky to find the drop off spot

and some people struggle to find the French sector at all! The secret is to head towards Ferney Voltaire - the next exit off the motorway, after the airport. Or straight up from Gva town. Keep heading on the Ferney signposting, ignoring signs to the airport (this can need a steady nerve, if you are running late). That takes you under the runway then immediately through the border post. There is an inconspicuous sign for the French sector of the airport, on the left, just past the border post.

If you want to shop, turn left out of that long airport road and then right at the roundabout. Commercial centre on the right, one roundabout further on. Huge supermarket open long hours.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thank you both, awesome news.

johnE, I will no doubt find plenty of 'fun' anyway so appreciate what you gave me. This year I found a doddle and even enjoyed the walk up the hill to P51 with two snowboards and 2 cases - you have to see my case to believe it! -, so it was good to have our form of fun;

got in the car then (wife)"right, where's the map as I only have this google earth thing which only shows Geneva and Paris"........(me)"thats all I have, I think its over towards those mountains there, lets just follow signs to Geneva and drive along the lake a while..." Laughing

Super excited now NehNeh
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
dennisp, You'l be fine... Smile I used to book through the French Sector all the time but to be honest, I don't find too much difference now... I always book through Argus rentals as they do seem to come out with the most competitive prices...

Driving though is rally no problem... It's one road that takes you all the way to the lake then just hug the lake, keeping it on your left at all times... Smile and then of course there is 'that' drive down the Vallee d'Aulps Smile
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
It is a bit daunting transferring between the Swiss to French sides at first. It looks like a full customs check place but there is nobody there. We just piled on through and there was no problem. If in doubt then just talk loudly in English.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
As above, getting the car from the french side is easy. On the way back most people get lost. To avoid this, if you have a sat nav (who doesn't nowadays), just save a waymarker at the first junction when you leave the airport and then use it to navigate your way back.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
When dropping the car back,do you have to take the Swiss motorway for the last 10 km .
My satnav couldn't get me a decent route from Grenoble without using the last 10km on the motorway for which I didn't have a pass.
When picking up the car, I had to drive for an extra 45 minutes towards Bellevarde to avoid the Swiss part.
Is there an easier way?
pam w, So very true about holding your nerve when running late. "This can't be right" ringing in your head.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
jimmjimm, You do not have to take the Swiss motorway, but coming from Grenoble the best route is through Saint Julien and Lancy then round town.

dennisp, To add to the fear factor, there are signs which make it look like motorway as you leave or approach the French side of the airport, but just keep following the route towards Ferney Voltaire (or City Centre if arriving) and all will become clear.
It is worth noting that there is a petrol station in Ferney just after the entry point to the French side of the airport for filling up.
One word of warning, we got stuck in an hour + long queue through Geneva going down towards the lake from Annemasse. There are only four bridges over the river and we were early so stuck with it (on the basis that other routes may also be bad), but we nearly missed the plane. This was at 4-5 pm - not sure if it is typical, but ...
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
3 different routes are given here:
http://www.gva.ch/en/Portaldata/1/Resources/fichiers/publications/af.pdf

A = direct route
B = avoid Swiss motorway
C = avoid Switzerland altogether
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

When dropping the car back,do you have to take the Swiss motorway for the last 10 km .
My satnav couldn't get me a decent route from Grenoble without using the last 10km on the motorway for which I didn't have a pass.

I'd advise when trying to get in and out of the French side of the airport from Grenoble without using the Swiss motorway to switch off satnav and use brain and map. wink
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Or, if your satnav has toll avoidance, put in the Perly Gates as a via point and, when there, switch it on/off as appropriate.

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Mon 3-06-13 17:40; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
altis, I like the routes you posted. But can anyone give me a reason for route C?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
For someone who might be arriving a GVA and travelling to France but without a Swiss visa.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

For someone who might be arriving a GVA and travelling to France but without a Swiss visa.

I had a group of such people arriving - they had Zimbabwean passports and only had entry papers for France. They had a right palaver - had to go into the French sector, flying in from London, but not allowed to collect baggage - some sort of agent had to do that. Then we got two French hired cars and drove in convoy through the border posts (stopping to buy vignettes). As is usually the case nobody wanted to look at our passports either at Ferney or at Bernex and so we didn't have to use the roundabout route.
snow conditions
Where does the visa situation stand with regard to Schengen? Because of Schengen no one would look at passports between France and Switzerland.

I was really curious how you could get to the French side of the airport without going through Switzerland
latest report
johnE, it might be all changed now, because of Schengen - but my Zimbabwean visitors pre-dated Switzerland's Schengen days. I often drive down over the Jura route. there are two Cols to choose from, one brings you down right into Ferney Voltaire, from where you can choose the Swiss motorway (which I usually do because I always have a vignette) or carry on down through Geneva. Saves toll money, takes little longer than the autoroute and is a pleasant and attractive drive.

There would be no point in anyone's going the roundabout route through France from Ferney down to the Alps unless there was a problem with entry into Switzerland, or they had been hankering after a visit to Bellegarde-sur-Valserine.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy