Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

World Record Base Jump - Everest

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
of course, sponsored by your favourite wing-giving energy drink:

Quote:
Nearly 60 years to the day after the first ascent up Mount Everest, Russian extreme sport star Valery Rozov (4Cool flew off the north face of Mount Everest - the world's highest BASE jump ever - 7220 meters (23,688ft) above sea level.

The ascent began on the Chinese side on the famous north route. It took him four days to climb from the base camp to the jumping location. At precisely 2:30 p.m. local time he leaped despite adverse weather conditions with temperatures -18 Celsius.

Because the cliff at the top was not very high, the initial moments of the leap in the rarified high altitude air were the most critical phase. Rozov needed more time than usual in the thin air to transition from freefall to flying. After that he flew for nearly a full minute at speeds of about 200 km/h (125 mph) along the north face before he landed safely on the Rongbuk glacier - at an altitude of 5,950 meters.

http://youtube.com/v/h_k8LsJDGlM&feature=youtu.be
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
A rather more interesting way to earn a living than most of us I imagine!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
The wing-suit bit is the new thing: there have been 4 people who HangGlided or Paraglided off the top quite a while ago, the 3rd and 4th being our regular ski guide Zeb Roche and his wife (see the history http://www.xcmag.com/2013/05/60-years-of-everest-paragliding-and-hang-gliding-on-the-worlds-highest-peak/ ).

Actually, now I look more carefully, this Russian jumped from well down the mountain: 1,628 metres below the summit.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Do you remember Yuichiro Miura AKA The Man Who Skiied Down Everest. He also started well below the summit. Then he forgot he drogue parachute wouldn't work very well in the thin air and Having skiied 6600 feet he then fell 1300 just stopping before a huge crevasse!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Never mind Everest, this is impressive!
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
snowball wrote:
The wing-suit bit is the new thing: there have been 4 people who HangGlided or Paraglided off the top quite a while ago, the 3rd and 4th being our regular ski guide Zeb Roche and his wife (see the history http://www.xcmag.com/2013/05/60-years-of-everest-paragliding-and-hang-gliding-on-the-worlds-highest-peak/ ).

Actually, now I look more carefully, this Russian jumped from well down the mountain: 1,628 metres below the summit.

Hangliding and paragliding are very different to BASE, the difference isn't just the wingsuit, but the fact that he had free fall before he opened his chute.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
RIP
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Sad news Sad
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I've always fancied a go in a wingsuit (never parachuted or done anything similar though), but it does seem to have a high attrition rate.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

RIP

Quote:

Sad news

am I missing something, as it says in the beginning of the post that he landed safely?
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
https://www.redbull.com/ca-en/valery-rozov-remembered
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@terrygasson, yes you're missing the fact that the posts about the Everest base jump were from 2013 and he died recently attempting some other base jump. Sad
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Alastair Pink, to be fair not much info in either previous 2 posts before mine, though I had not noted the posts before them were from 2013!!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@terrygasson, Smile
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Dood slammed into a big mountain.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy