Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Damp squibness and unhappy endings

Poster: A snowHead
Hi All,

Does anyone here have the answer to the perfect set of gloves? I have about four weeks Alps experience and have never found a set of gloves that have either a) keep my hands dry, b) stop my fingers from freezing and c) allow to sort bindings out. I'm on a tight budget but don't mind paying it's a once and forever jobby.

A Skullie
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
i got a bog standard pair for thirty odd quid that lasted me ten trips before the straps fell off.. got a similar priced pair to replace em , they are fine as well.. a real bog standard make that i cant even remember.. well they were fine until some hefty german women decided to dance on my table and her ski boots smashed the toggle things that keep the elastic tight.. i would have saved them but i was too busy risking my fingers saving my sunglasses Shocked
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
saxabar, Try using some inner gloves, I found these worked a treat when skiing in 'real' cold conditions in New England. Silk inner gloves are nice and light if you can get hold of them. I've still got a tatty pair I bought in Stowe 4 or 5 years ago.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I'm a little reticent to give a boarder glove advice as you guys are pretty heavy on them but...

Go for a goretex or similar liner. This'll keep you dry. Boarders spent significantly more time with hands in snow than skiers I think...

Get well re-inforced palms. You'll need them.

Get good branded insulation: thinsulate and the like. I don't per se like "branded" but you can end up with all sorts of crap.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Try looking at gloves designed for mountaineering and ice climbing, they tend to be pretty robust and warm.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I have som Level gloves that are expensive but fantastic, inner gloves are windstopper goretex lined with microfleece, outers are a heavier breathable fabric with another fleece lining, I think theyu do a snowboard version which might suit you
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Mitts with reinforced palms work for everything if your ratchets are not too fiddly & are much warmer with fewer seams to split.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I'm very happy with my mid-range Dakine gloves (can't remember the model). They're waterproof/breathable, warm but not bulky, have sturdy re-enforced leather palms, easy closure around wrist and cuff, look nice, and weren't too pricey (got em on sale for - I think - somewhere $30-$50 CAD range). I'd have no problem recomending Dakine gloves.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
saxabar, two questions....
1) do you smoke?
2) what do you wear on your head?
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Michelle wrote:
saxabar, two questions....
1) do you smoke?
2) what do you wear on your head?

Umm, yes I have to admit I do smoke but not on the slopes. I generally wear a beanie but should start wearing my helmet more.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Yep Level are some of the best. Not cheap but very effective and long lasting. Mine are goretex mitts with finger inner fleece gloves and a built in wrist guard. Very good and still look like new after 2 seasons.

I like the glove, mitt combination. The mitts are warmer and have fewer seams (more waterproof) but you stil have the inner gloves if you want to do something fiddly.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Are Level the ones with the widget on the back that's supposed to stimulate your wotsit and improve something or other, might have been sex life?

Does it work?

Think I'll stop rambling and go to bed.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
rich, Last time I heard, those are called 'Marigolds'
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I bought a pair of level gloves about two years ago. I guess snowboard specific as came with integrated wrist guards. I think they are fantastic. Two years on, not a single problem.. has the widget to improve sex life (no free tube of ky though) or to try and increase airflow or summat through the glove - allowing perspiration out I guess. Rarely have i had any probs with dampness (i'm talking about the gloves) They have a really nice inner, that only comes off if YOU want it to.. i.e no faffing on the lifts trying to get the inner back into the glove - you know 3 fingers in but can't get your pinky in as well (god sounding ruder and ruder by the mo). Palms and figertips are layerd with some extra type of tough stuff to prevent ware.

I don't know the name of the particular glove, but I recommend level gloves. Four trips and still as good as new. I think they cost me about 90 euro in resort.. so imagine they're not cheap.. but doubt you'd need to even think of replacing em for 4 or 5 years at least ...

my tupenneth worth Very Happy

oh... and the wrist guards are excellent as well!
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
my gloves don't last long either - but that's cause i loose Sad them so regularly so never invest in a decent pair! rolling eyes
snow report
I agree with the comments on Level gloves. They are the best I have come across. I now have two pairs, due to 'losing' one pair in resort, they eventually turned up, but by then I had bought a new pair ! I've had my initial pair for 3 seasons now ( I board 10 days a year only unfortunately ) - they are still in good condition, haven't cut up from carrying my board, and I have never had problems with damp or cold. I recommended a pair to a very fussy friend and he has also been happy with them. Level gloves are perhaps more expensive than your average glove, but in my opinion for a boarder, gloves are one of the most important bits of kit. Save some money on that posh jacket and trousers combo and divert the cash to the gloves !
snow conditions
I think Mittens Have to be warmest by far. I have a pair of Gotex Solamon mitts which do the job fine.
ski holidays
I think most of my glove problems relate to having poo bindings whereby I've had to take gloves on and off. This has been resoved ala new a new set (Salomon SPX44). Am now so broke through new kit (oh woe) I think I'll resort to Masque's marigolds.

Is there such a thing as Marigold fetish? I can see the psychodynamics of this and a reverse Frenchy fascination with housewives as opposed to mistresses but is anyone going to own up to this?

Anyone want to contact Endemol with new reality TV ideas?

Ladies: is there such a thing as a 'Mister Muscle' fantasy (UK TV ad)?

Hmm, maybe I should depart from the computer for a while.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy