Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Canada resort advice April 2014 (Banff? Big White?)

Poster: A snowHead
We are looking at visiting Canada for the first time next April for two weeks, and allowing some time for sightseeing, are hoping to get about 8 or 9 days skiing in. Having never skiied in Canada I am finding it hard to make any decisions. We are going from about the 10th - 18th skiing, although could go a few days earlier if this will make a difference. We cannot go at another time due to various work commitments.

We are a couple both aged 30, realtively fit. I am an intermediate skier who enjoys red/easy blacks, will have a go at moguls but with little style, have some off piste experience and would be keen to get more into powder skiing and glades. My husband is an intermediate boarder, a bit more gung-ho than me so happy to tackle all pisted runs, looks for natural hits off the side of the piste, etc.

As we have 8 or 9 days for skiing, we were thinking of maybe having two bases, but only if this is worth the hassle of changing hotels, internal flights, etc. We are unlikely to be able to visit Canada again for some time, so this is a 'big' trip. We would love to ski powder fields, ski around snow ghosts and get the full canandian rockies experience.

We are considering Big White for maybe 4 days, due to its powder reputation and ski in/out convenience but I'm not sure they will even be open this late into april? If they are open, is the snow likely to be ok or will it be slush? I really like what I hear about BW, it sounds like our kind of place. We are not bothered by wild apres, a hotel bar and a few places to get a hearty meal is all we need.

We were then considering staying at Banff to ski Lake Louise and Sunshine. I like the sound of the dramatic scenary, variety of pistes and inbounds options and I know they will be open. However, is it a pain catching the bus every day? Are the weekend 'crowds' a problem, as we will be there around Easter or does it just mean a 1 minute wait at the lift? I think there is also an option for a day trip to Kicking Horse. Is it worth the trip?

Basically, should we do a split holiday (assuming BW is open) or just do 9 days in Banff? Other suggestions also welcome!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Banff - higher altitude, more likely to be preserving snow, can get powder days through early May. Take a couple of day trips to KH if it's silk open. Otherwise you're really signing on for guaranteed warm wet spring skiing.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
carettam,

I suspect as fatbob, says you would be signing up for warm wet skiing at Big White.

Around Banff the snow can still be really good, this year was unusually warm in April/May but I still skied fab powder at Nakiska on 20th April

I don't think crowds will be an issue at all; Lake louise gets more crowds than sunshine I think; but I was there on 14th /15th April this year and it was fine

KH, see what the snow is like, and go for it. The gondola can be crowded

There aren't snow ghosts from Banff, not like there are at BW or SS
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
This year Big White closed 14th April lots of snow but it shut, end of season.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks for the info. It seems that Big White is not a safe bet so we'll look at basing ourselves at Banff for the 8 days.

Is there enough skiing at SV and LL for 8 days, especially if the weather is unkind (poor snow/ low visibility/high winds) making access to LL back bowls or top of Goats Eye/Lookout difficult/not fun?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I was there for 2 weeks last season and found enough to keep me amused. I kept finding new little stashes of pow in the trees and enough variation between the areas for me.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Hi carettam,
Yes I can vouch for the Banff area as well. I have been 4 times - I think. Banff's a cool town. The only down side is the resorts are a little way for town, Sunshine is about 45min and Lake Louise a little more. The local hill Norquay or something similar is a bit lower but good fun, not quite on the same scale as the other two. I live in the French Alps now but it was a bit of a toss up between the two. have a great time
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Went to Banff for first time this year and can't wait to go back! (sadly won't be for a few years).

We skied for 10 days- the runs are different to Europe and you can make them different each time by going through trees etc and great variety; groomed runs, unpisted stuff that is effectively off piste and bumps.

Was a bit worried about the bus but it was fine; if you stay at a hotel on the main street you will be near a bus stop; they turn up on time and if they are full they send for another one. We found with the time difference we were awake really early so were mostly ready to catch the first bus.

There is a bus that runs day trips to kicking Horse from Banff if you wanted to ski another resort (and they claim to be the powder Capital!)

MCL
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks everyone, I can't wait to go. I just need to decide where to stay.
I'm thinking of staying at the Banff Aspen Lodge, looks reasonable, nice hot tubs, breakfast included, in our price range but it seems that the sunshine bus doesn't go from near the hotel, only the Louise bus? Does anyone know if that is the case?
I really like the look of the Fox but it is a little bit more expensive, so not really sure if its worth the extra £150 pp for the 8 days? From what I can tell, its a little further from downtown but both buses (SV and LL) stop outside? So more convenient for skiing? I don't mind a walk in the evening but I do mind a walk in ski boots!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
carettam, you could email the hotel and ask then you will have 100% up to date info
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote''We skied for 10 days- the runs are different to Europe and you can make them different each time by going through trees etc and great variety; groomed runs, unpisted stuff that is effectively off piste and bumps''.
this describes very well the sking in sunshine, and as allready said it is very different to europe. not sure I would go back as I am a magor Austria fan but my wife thought it was fantistic so there you go. we stayed in the Fox and must say it was really nice. also preferred sunshine to lake louise + it is also a much shorter drive. we had a hire car so didnt use the busses but for one who likes a ski in ski out resort its not for me.
if you are getting ski hire then try to shop around as we found massive price difference in just 2 shops that were just 100m from each other. sorry cant remember the names.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
carettam, don't know what the Fox is like to stay in but the restaurant was pretty bad. Great margueritas, but really poor service and about the worst meal we ate in our 2 weeks there. Stay by all means, but go into town and eat on the evenings.

As has been said above the Busses loop past regularly and from memory the fox and aspen lodge are only a short distance apart (maybe 4-500m?) on the main drag, so not much difference in terms of bus service.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
carettam,

Aspen lodge is quite nice and the breakfast is handy. hot tubs are nice.

Access to rooms is via external stairways
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
The Royal Canadian Lodge is very nice.

As I remember it, most places were room only or B&B. The last time I went (about 10 years ago) I stayed in a room only place near the RCL, and breakfast there was included in the deal. We ate there most evenings as well as it was such a good experience. You won't need to stop for lunch if you finish one of their breakfasts!
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
we have been to Banff around 10 times in the last 10 years and we never get bored there. We skied mainly at Sunshine for the first few years but now concentrate on Louise if the snow is good.
Just accept the bus as part of your day and its fine. If you go with a negative attitude of resenting the bus journey, and bemoan the fact that it's not Ski in - ski out then you will be disappointed.
it's a bit sad, we actually enjoy the bus trips and the scenery and wildlife as part of the day or we often have a nap on the bus back after a full day.
We generally ski for 12 days out of 14 and have still to discover parts of Louise.
The Fox is right next to the bus stop (it stops next door at the Banff Inn where we always stay now). It's standard North American/Canadian Hotel fare,- very clean, large rooms with huge beds and everything you need but at a good low price with basic buffet breakfast included.
The Fox is nicer but more expensive. the restaurant there is part of the Chillis chain and whilst not great it is standard for the type of chain/price range, and of course you're under no obligation to eat there.
snow report
stayed in Banff Aspen Lodge in Feb; v nice. and yes you can get bus to all 3 ski resorts from bus stop nearby. It's a buffet breakfast so you can have a quick breakfast if you wnat to get first bus.

Banff Aspen Lodge is between 2 bus stops; we always went to the one outside the Red Carpet (about 1 min walk with skis) as it went to that one first. All ski busses stop there and you can get a timetable from the hotel when you arrive.

Staff at Aspen Lodge really nice too- I lost my phone on the ski bus and they helped me get it back
latest report
Thanks all, especially MCL and paul.kin. This is all good news. We have gone ahead and booked Banff Aspen Lodge, as it seems a good deal, nice looking rooms, good location, buffet breakfast included, ski bus stops right outside.

I enjoy looking at the scenery, so a bus journey each day will be fine I'm sure. When I've caught ski buses before, I find I'm quite likely to snooze on the way home... so I hope I don't miss my stop. Happy

Only 10 months to wait...
snow report
carettam wrote:
When I've caught ski buses before, I find I'm quite likely to snooze on the way home...

What? You can snooze whilst standing up, with someone's ski tips up your nose and someone else's rucksack crushing the breath out of you? Shocked
latest report
maggi, seated only IME at Banff
snow conditions
You always get a seat. It's a comfortable coach trip. Skis are stored underneath in the luggage stores.There is no crush, no hassle; it is very civilised and very rarely is the bus full. If it is full, another is along within a couple of minutes.
Accept the bus ride and it ceases to be a problem. The scenery changes every day with the light conditions and the weather, and despite making the journey perhaps 80 times over the last 10 years we have yet to lose the sense of awe at the majesty of the Rockies. We are going again in March and we can't wait either!
latest report
We go every year as well, for three weeks. It's like home from home. Just accept it is a different experience to European skiing, but fantastic for the differences, not in spite if them. The bus ride is as descrbed, comfortable and well organised through stunning scenery. If anyone wants any specific advice, Pm me as we know lots about Banff and the surrounding area. We will also be there in March!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy