Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The mountains are melting - The Independent

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I read about this in saturday's Independent. It's hardly news but I was shocked to read met projections which predict that the Alps may be a snow free zone in just 50 years.

That said, the article was anomalous. It suggests that melting ice caps from the Artic will cool the Atlantic drift, thus creating a climate in the UK similar to that of North Canada. If that's the case, I would have thought the Alps would be safe...

Thoughts?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
moot_point, I think we don't fully understand what is going to happen.

I'm not at all convinced that the climate is changing because of human influence although I would certainly not suggest that we should operate under any other assumption.

The weather and climate is just such a huge crazy manifold non-linear system that while it is easy to observe change happening, I don't think it's possible to easily predict what will happen.

So, get green, save fuel, don't use hydrocarbons, do all the stuff it's good to do and then sit back and see what really happens.

My money's on a big Banksian "out-of-context problem" popping up just when we least expect it, making global warming all rather incidental. And that doesn't mean Avian flu...!! wink

P.S. "In Iain Banks' book Excession, he drops a term: "Out-Of-Context Problem." An Out-Of-Context Problem is one that is so unexpected that effective countermeasures are effectively inconceivable (at least at the time).

Think about how a 'cargo cult' would respond if their first contact with the larger world was full-scale nuclear war. They would quite simply die."
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy