Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Austrian lift operators demand that hoteliers pay for snowmaking

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Austrian ski lift operators are demanding a financial contribution from the hotel industry towards the cost of snowmaking. Skiers increasingly demand snow guarantees before they will book holidays, so there is growing pressure to install snowguns, install artificial storage ponds and finance the energy and labour needed to make the snow.

Until now, these costs have been carried by the ski lift companies themselves, but the Austrian Mountain Lift Association has now demanded that Austrian Hotels Federation picks up part of the bill.

The above is based on Austrian newspapers reports yesterday, reported today by Independent Online, South Africa.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Just see what will happen. Top dollar resorts like Lech,Zurs Serfaus etc Will demand there customers have priority/exclussive use of the slopes and low price resorts will have No Snow Sad
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
David Goldsmith wrote:
Austrian ski lift operators are demanding a financial contribution from the hotel industry towards the cost of snowmaking. Skiers increasingly demand snow guarantees before they will book holidays, so there is growing pressure to install snowguns, install artificial storage ponds and finance the energy and labour needed to make the snow.

Until now, these costs have been carried by the ski lift companies themselves, but the Austrian Mountain Lift Association has now demanded that Austrian Hotels Federation picks up part of the bill.

This seems like muddled thinking and totally unjustified to my mind. The snowmaking is for the benefit of us downhill skiers/boarders only, and therefore it is entirely appropriate that we pay for the cost in the price of the lift tickets. To put some of the cost onto the hoteliers (who will inevitably pass it on to their hotel guests) is to make all hotel guests pay whether or not they use this facility (some guests are cross-country skiers, others do no winter sports).

Obviously it would be nice if non skiers subsidised our pastime Toofy Grin , but fair dooz! Little Angel
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
stanton,

Totally off topic, sorry. But you mention Serfaus. The little info I've found on Serfaus it looks very interesting. But I've found very little info and searchs on Snowheads really has turned up very little as well. What can you tell about Serfaus? Thanks.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
RISkier,
I have never been to Serfaus however a colleague of mine takes his family there every year. If there is anything specific you wish to know I can ask him. He tells me Serfaus is very family orintated with lots of Funparks and a child only cablecar.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
When Wengen needed more snowmaking the entire population of the village was surcharged by the local council.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
blueskix,

Thanks, don't really have specific questions. My wife and I went to Lech a couple of years ago and loved it. We were looking at Saalbach this year but were offered free lodging in Aspen so we're doing that. Horrible to slum it that way. Work schedules pretty much lock us in to either early January or the middle of March. So we want somewhere pretty snow sure. We also really prefer the charm of a traditional village where we can soak up the culture. So the grand purpose built ski stations aren't that attractive to us. We can go to Utah and have great snow sure skiing. When we go to Europe we want the experience. We also like to visit places a bit off the beaten path. How would Serfaus be for a couple of middle aged (man I hate saying that but I'm on the high side of 50) intermediate skiers? We definately enjoy some gluhwein or weissenbier after skiing and we enjoy dining. We're not late night party animals anymore. Serfaus seems relatively high, does it have a good snow record in early January or the middle of March? The little info I've found on Serfaus interests me. However, it doesn't seem very popular among English speakers and I'm probably 1 of only about 3 US skiers who've even heard of it. My problem is I want to go everywhere but have neither the time nor financial resources to do it.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
RISkier

Serfuas is relativley undiscovered by the UK. Lots of Dutch & Germans go there. Cant tell you an awful lot. Its pretty resort, not to extensive, town has an underground railway. I believe the UK company Inghams goes there.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy