Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Transfers from Venice to Arabba

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
We are heading to Arabba next Feb. I understand that the hotels in the area subsidise a cheap coach transfer running twice a day on Sat and Sun, called dolomitistars. Has anyone used it? It certainly seems very cheap (32Euros return) but is it reliable?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
chomski, yes, it's great, loads of people use it every year to get to and from the Birthday Bash.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
chomski, What Pedantica said. Very Happy

I've used it for the last four years and it's always been very efficient. I even left my iPhone on the bus one year and after a quick call to their office, the driver arriving on the Sunday bought it back for me. Highly recommended.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I booked a one way Thursday transfer this year at $17, there was just 2 of us, no one else booked. They sent a Mercedes mini bus with leather seats and all mod cons. It ended up being a private transfer to Alleghe for $34. They are not meant to drop you at your hotel but as we were the only passengers I asked and the driver obliged. We did of course leave a generous tip under the circumstances.

Think this year was the first time they run the Thursday schedule, based on my experience I doubt they will be doing it next year, least not all season.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Edit to above € not $ of course.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks guys/girls. Much reassured.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
chomski, As others have said, it does what it says on the tin Laughing You've probably found the dolomitistars website, you'll be able to make a booking closer to the winter season (I think from memory the booking site opens about November). If you travel to Venice Marco Polo airport then when you come out into the arrivals hall turn right and in a few yards past the small coffee and refreshment area you'll find a kiosk which is manned by transfer coach staff including the Dolomitistars people. When the coach is ready to depart they'll lead you out from there to the coach, which has ample storage space for luggage and skis etc.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Alastair Pink wrote:
... the coach, which has ample storage space for luggage and skis etc.

Ah yes - except with the ever increasing numbers on the BB, this year the dolomitistars were a bit more challenged. Especially on the early bus back at the end, where the "ample storage" turned out to include the aisle on the coach as far too many of us obviously bring our own kit Blush

Having said that, as the others have pointed out, we've used it reliably over 4 years or whatever now and it works well. I plan on using it again next year!
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
SteveM, The noon bus to the resort was "more challenged" too. It was a bit of a scrum at first, but they got everyone and everything on board in the end.

chomski, It was a pleasant 3.5 hour trip up to the mountains, including a break in Alleghe. They drop you off in the middle of town, so make sure you know the way to your hotel.
BTW - Great name...dunno why I never thought of it....and welcome to Snowheads snowHead
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thanks for the info everyone. We will be a group of 16 going at half term and staying at the Hotel Malita which is pretty much in the centre of Arabba. So it shouldn't be too much of a trek from the bus stop.

One of our party has given up on skiing but fancies snowshoeing. Has anyone tried it from Arabba? Any other suggestions for interesting things for her to do?
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
chomski, The Hotel Malita is about a 75m flat walk from the Bus stop
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
chomski wrote:

One of our party has given up on skiing but fancies snowshoeing. Has anyone tried it from Arabba? Any other suggestions for interesting things for her to do?

Yes my wife has, but in Corvara not Arraba, we have been with a small T.O. called Colletts, who are well known in the area (been with them a few times now). My wife does ski, but she has never really "got it" so this year she decided to give Snowshoeing a go and she loves it, only came out skiing with me one day and that was the hosts day off.

Colletts: they have organised itineraries 5 full days a week, were hosts guide you round the mountains, both skiing & snowshoeing. We stopped with them in a chalet in Corvara but they also operate from Arabba, thoroughly recommend, although not as much as I would recommend stopping at the Sporthotel Arraba which is where I usually go.

Don't know of any other places that offer snowshoeing in a group and its not as easy as you might think (according to my wife) TBH I think it would be pretty lonely if not dangerous to venture out on your own in unfamiliar terrain.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
ALQ, Am I to understand that there are other libertarian philosopher linguists who like to ski? What a broad church Snowheads is!

Kel, Yes, we looked at Colletts but kids constrain us to half-term and they were booked. I'm sure you are right that snowshoeing is not something to try on your own.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

I think it would be pretty lonely if not dangerous to venture out on your own in unfamiliar terrain.

yes, it would be if you were going "off piste" on your own, but in my experience there is a range of marked trails for snowshoes (some groomed, some not) and ski schools offer a comprehensive range of outings at different levels of difficulties. That experience is solely in France, but our very small resort covers snow-shoeing well, and I'd expect resorts in the Dolomites to be offering something similar.

Snowshoeing is only "difficult" in itself if you are tackling very uneven territory, when you need long nordic poles and heels clipped down (or heel lifts for steep ascents). In terms of avalanche awareness etc etc then of course anyone venturing off-piste should have adequate experience. In our area snowshoeing trails are sometimes closed, if the authorities consider they are in avalanche threat areas.

Just walking on easier terrain is not difficult, though it can be strenuous, naturally. It's a lot of fun and a great way to get away from the machinery and ironmongery of downhill skiing. You need some sturdy walking boots, and gaiters preferably if walking through deeper snow.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy