Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Deleted

Poster: A snowHead
Deleted as I searched the 'nixmap' posts and realised just how bad my post sounded.....Sorry!

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Sat 18-05-13 9:57; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
4 3 2 1.... Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
You are nixmap relocating from CH and I claim my £5.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
fatbob, whaaaa?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Someone else who recruits similarly each year for an unpaid "job". Your core problem is not what someone might take but local employment law. Technically your offer sounds a lot like a nanny post so all sorts of tax and insurance questions. Rather than advertising you might be better finding a family friend.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
fatbob, ah, ok, that makes far more sense Smile

Thanks for the info. Could easily give a wage as opposed to board I suppose. Will look into tax and insurance as well.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
You could advertise it as an au-pair job. That doesn't have any tax implications (not in the UK at least). I use Gum Tree to advertise for au pairs.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Just out of interest what does a chalet host get in hand at the lower end?
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Déjà vu . . . Twisted Evil MeMyselfandI, Switzerland has a lot of legal and employment law hoops to jump through for foreign workers . . . some people attempt to circumvent them and so far have not been caught but the risk/benefit analysis is yours to undertake.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Masque, she's going to be in France, (moving from Switz)
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Masque, I'm not trying to circumvent anything, I'm trying to get information, hence why I'm asking for.....information. My thought process was that it would be a similar job as a chalet host but with a far lighter workload therefore offering accommodation and ski pass whilst allowing freedom to get other paid work may be acceptable.

I'd like to clarify that I'm not recruiting for anything, I'm trying to figure out options. I can easily get a cleaner and childcare locally, just wondering how viable it would be to combine the jobs and offer a contra. By the sounds of it I run the risk of looking like I'm trying to be dodgy, which I'm not.

J9, good suggestion about the au pair advert on gumtree. Whatever I do, if anything, will involve insurance and tax.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
MeMyselfandI, If you want to understand the "nixmap"reference do a search on here. It doesn't matter what you say about what you are offering, it's all been hotly debated ad-infinitum (apart from the insurance and tax)
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
ironsidexx, fair enough, I plead total ignorance and apologise for being contentious. I would like to point out that I did at least ask if I would need to offer a wage as well wink
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Ignore these miserable Fitzwilliams. Stick it on Gumtree or Chalets Direct Job page - lots of takers I would imagine.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
MeMyselfandI, here's some info about having an au pair in France (it's in French)

http://www.euroconnections.de/fr/france/engage_fam.htm

http://www.euroconnections.de/fr/france/engage_ap.htm

In return for 30 hours of help, it seems you need to provide a private room and all food, at least €85 a week "pocket money" (not salary and so no tax), at least one full day off a week and public holidays, money for public transport or use of a car, regular hours with only a couple of evenings of babysitting, some extra "pocket money" if they go outside of these hours and pay their social security (though if they are an EU citizen on a short term stay you can get them short term private insurance and make sure they have an EHIC).

Duties primarily involve getting the kids up, dressed, school pick up/drop off, preparing simple kids meals and bath and playtime. An au pair can be asked to do some light everyday duties such as tidying the kids' rooms, doing some laundry, bit of hoovering, stacking the dishwasher etc. but cannot be asked to do the work of a proper cleaner (washing windows and floors) and must not be the sole person responsible for cleaning the family home.

Throw in a season pass on top of that and I'm sure you'd get a lot of interest.
snow report
miranda, thanks so much for that. I doubt it would be 30 hours of help needed, probably more like 10. Will have to work out how much I'd be paying for ad-hoc babysitting etc . Really appreciate the help Very Happy
ski holidays
MeMyselfandI, in terms of what chalet hosts get, I think it sounds pretty similar in terms of money - they are obviously asked to do a lot more than the au pairs and don't get a nice private room and 5 evenings off a week.
ski holidays
MeMyselfandI, I've come to terms with and don't get heated about it. I just want both sides of an informal arrangement to be aware that there are some serious pitfalls that are best known by both parties . . . been there . . . got screwed . . . Confused

To be honest your offer appeals to me . . . but I've not the 'allure' to be an au pair . . . wink
ski holidays
Masque, Surely you would need some plumbing jobs thrown in as well Laughing wink
snow report
boredsurfin, now you're talking . . . "have plunger - will travel" (I wonder who will remember where that came from...fook, I'm getting old)
ski holidays
Masque, I can provide any references you require ... possibly excluding 'au pair'
ski holidays
Masque, wasn't at all heated I just wanted to make it 100% clear that I wasn't trying to do anything dodgy, I regret that it came across that way.

Anyway, legally it looks like the best and most above board option for me will be to find someone on an au pair basis. If you can get me some (non-dodgy, natch) identification saying you're under 30 I'll happily consider your application Smile

boredsurfin, I'm an equal opportunities employer and will happily accept applicants from both side of the plunger divide, as it were.

Anyway, I could post the au pair job on here but again, don't want to seem like I'm being anything other than above board, so will wait for the lords of the board to give me the go ahead.
ski holidays
Quote:

but I've not the 'allure' to be an au pair

But do you have a nice pair Masque?
latest report
MeMyselfandI, under 30what? inches...possibly . . . best I can be these days is an Hon. Grampa wink

halfhand, the moobs are shrinking . . . thank goodness.
snow report
miranda wrote:
MeMyselfandI,
In return for 30 hours of help, it seems you need to provide a private room and all food, at least €85 a week "pocket money" (not salary and so no tax),
Throw in a season pass on top of that and I'm sure you'd get a lot of interest.

30 hours would seem excessive most of our volunteers didnt put that much in, although I didnt see the original posts.

No doubt my usual Summer post will be equally well recieved.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy