Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

How to do freeride in Zermatt in reasonable price ?

Poster: A snowHead
hello I'm starting to plan my next winter, and this winter I would like to go to Zermatt, and I want to know if there is an option for to do one week with guiding in reasonable price. I have heard about an option to go to Zermatt from Cervinia. I'll be happy for any information for guiding and accommodation.
thanks all
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Guiding?

Cervinia-> Zermatt = piste map.

Puzzled
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
yariv_har, don't think Zermatt and reasonable price are often found in the same sentence! We went there 10 years ago and I'm in no hurry to go back, felt like I was being ripped off from first day to last and transport links are lousy. We also stayed in Cervinia another time and skid in and out, I much preferred that, personally I didn't like Zermatt, too touristy and dark......and trying too hard to be Swiss cookoo-clocky/ milka cowy if you get my drift. Day trips from Cervinia is my best advice, but haven't been there for years either, much better Freeride terrain about than those 2 areas IMO.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
to be more specific I'm looking for guiding and I do snowboard, last winter I was in La grave and it was fantastic, and I think maybe it could be nice to be in Zermatt next season for to find fresh snow and steep slopes. usual I'm going to France and Austria for snowboarding.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
yariv_har, this season we found , fresh snow and steep slopes , but reasonable cost was not achievable , guides are expensive and also in demand , we had two days when no one was available .
Zermatt is a great place with ome awesome vertical , but is very weather dependant to access the best freeride terrain and needs quite a lot of snow to open up some of the best spots, that said if you have the cover there are plenty of marked itinerys that offer a great challenge with no need for a guide , staying in cervinia the guides are cheaper and as long as the links to zermatt are open this would be the way to go . But if not able to get over to the Swiss side I think you may be disappointed with the challenges cervinia has to offer .
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
If you really want a week of guided off-piste, you are much better off looking at the Monte Rosa area in Italy- about 50km as the crow flies to the right of Zermatt on the map (but much longer by road). Google Alagna, Monterosa or Gressoney. Almost unlimited off-piste opportunities and it wil be much cheaper than Switzerland

The Monterosa site even has a very detailed map of the extensive itineraries that exist

There's plenty of stuff on Snowheads about this so start searching !
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
+1 On Monte Rosa. A lot less expensive than Zermatt. Check out www.guidemonterosa.com. Also check the Cervinia Guides web site. Downside is that all of the higher altitude spots on both sides (CH & I) can get lots of wind which can stop lifts and abuse the off piste snow conditions.....but that can happen most anywhere.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
+1 for Gressonay. Also check out these guys, Neil was one of the first guides to do snowboard courses. His courses fill up very fast. They are Chamonix based.
http://www.mcnabsnowboarding.com/index

There is great riding around Zermatt but cheap, no.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
+2 for Gressonay/Alagne/Champoluc - I'll be back there again this crimbo.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
yariv_har, hello, I'm a fan Zermatt- but 'Zermatt' and 'reasonable price' aren't words ever found in the same sentence very often/ever.

That said it is very good indeed and so you could make some argument about price and value as although the price is high the quality is also very high. But like lots I have only been there recently for long weekends- which have been great and with the SCGB. Arguably the price of the flights/transfer/hotel and guide were reasonable- it's just everything else.

It all depends on your budget, snobbery.

Is Zermatt a Veblen product?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
One downside of Monterosa as mentioned is that it can get rather windblown.

More of an issue is that the western side of The Alps typically gets more snow.

Less snow, more windblown, is not a recipe for reliable off piste to me...

What about Andermatt (if it's good enough for the Swiss army) or Disentis/Sedrun? Very strong snow reputation and slightly cheaper guiding I would expect?

Or some of the lesser known parts of the Bernese Oberland?
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Andermatt is currently a rather large building site, as it's getting a major new accommodation complex. More pistes are part of the deal.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
snowbunny, shouldn't make too much of a difference if you are hors piste?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
And in which case try around Sedrun.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
under a new name wrote:
snowbunny, shouldn't make too much of a difference if you are hors piste?

If the developer gets his way AIUI, the resorts' slopes will be reshaped and extended to suit the new clientele. Hors Piste will be further away.
snow report
snowbunny, from what I saw, that still won't be a huge issue.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy