Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

looking for recommendations

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I'm hoping that your collective knowledge can help me with my holiday predicament.
As usual i've been tasked with planning and booking our new years trip to the snow but it is now a bit more complicated than picking some good slopes and has turned in to a family trip to accomodate all sorts of other things... anyway this is what i'm looking for:

Snow-sure, because we are locked in to the New Year week and we know that can be tricky
Decent area for all ability levels, but would be happy to consider something that was more beginner centric, us advanced types can make our own fun Smile
Good non-skier stuff; town, spa, snow-shoeing etc... pretty is a bonus but ideally would be possible for non-skiers and skiers to meet for lunch
Preferably a resort that has chalet accomodation
Family friendly
Ideally possible to get the train to

So, at the moment we are really looking at Tignes which ticks a lot of those boxes, we've been there and meribel in the past so they are a known entity... other suggestions would be really helpful Smile
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
What about Les Arcs? If you are catching the train you can get the funicular there from Bourg St Maurice
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Vail ticks more boxes than Tignes except the train bit.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Had a look at Les Arcs, I've been over the other side to La Plagne and always fancied Les Arcs but it's quite tricky to work out what is in each of the villages and how easy it is to get around are there free buses linking all of the different bits? It's also quite tricky to see how they all are arranged on the mounain.

I should have specified the group a bit better...
we've got my mother at 67 as a non-skier, alongside 2 other younger non-skiers... they really enjoyed Tignes because of the free pool and easy walking access last time
we've also got a 9 month old baby which is another reason why easy access to the town and piste areas is really important for us

Vail looks amazing, but unfortunately USA and Canada arn't an option which is a shame, financially i think it would be a step too far... we are looking at around £8-900pp for catered accomodation and travel
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Have you thought about one of the Courchevel villages. Twenty minutes or so from Moutiers station (there is a bus that runs from there or you can get a taxi I think latania.co.uk has some info on transport). There is a free bus between the villages. There is a swimming pool at Courchevel 1550. Ice skating rink and ten pin bowling in 1850. There is also a luge from 1850 down to 1550 which may be fun for the non skiers. Although 1850 is expensive the other villages are more reasonably priced.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
How about Samoens?

I am not an expert, but have booked our group trip there for Jan. From what I have found out, the village itself is very attractive, and offers quite a bit to do for non skiers. There seems to be plenty of catered chalets around, and I believe its easy to get the train to with Cluses being the closest station.

The resort is not super high, but I history suggests it gets plenty of snow, and the accommodation will not be ski in ski out, but it looks fairly easy to get to the lifts.

As I say, I am no expert, but if I have made a good suggestion I am sure someone who knows more will have some information
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Tignes would surely be a bit grim for a non-skier. How many hours a day can you swim in those crappy pools for? As for les Arcs, Arc 1600 is the one with funicular but it males Tignes look like Manhattan there is so little there itself

One option would be Chamonix which will be snow-sure, there is skiing for all ability levels though quite sprawled out, and definitely loads to genuinely do for a non-skiers and non-skiers won't feel out of place because they're not skiing. The downside is meeting for lunch not gonna be an option
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Have a look at serre chevalier
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
here are some more based on my wife's preferences (non skier and spa lover) and focussing on Swiss resorts which have train access and tick your other boxes: Crans Montana, Davos, Klosters, Leukerbad, Villars, Zermatt.

wtss.co.uk and brgfex.com can be helpful reference points, althogh none of these guides is really written for the non skier.

i found that going "off piste" when booking our family holidays (before we bought a place) was more fun eg Serfaus, Ischgl, Lech, San Cassiano etc (acknowledging that some of those are better known now than when we booked first) and, if you have done a lot of France recommend branching out.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Get out a map and see where the trains go...then choose. The Swiss trains are every bit as good as their reputation.
Crans Montana is nice, good skiing and pretty as well. Zermatt, Gstaad, Chateu D'Oex etc work well on the train.
I am owner in Arc 1800 and there's not a lot to do there for non skiers (learn to ski????) but you could save some money by living in Bourg St Maurice and the skiers could get the funi up in the morning...

Kitzbuehl, Kirchberg in Austria, also Obergurgl. Chamonix, Megeve, Samoens in France.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thanks for all of the suggestions, theres plenty to think about Smile

Life was so much simpler when the only questions were; is there snow? and is there a variety of terrain?
Toofy Grin
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy