Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

La Thuile - La Rosiere road is open to traffic...... just!

Poster: A snowHead
15th May

snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Frosty the Snowman, amazing photo!
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Shocked Shocked
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Frosty the Snowman,

Shocked

Are those walls made entirely of snow or is there a rock-face underneath the snow??
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Crikey Shocked
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
This is all snow Very Happy

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10151597012309916&set=a.10151567660969916.1073741827.587039915&type=1&ref=nf

Picture by John Thomas who I am sure some fellow snowheads will know.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Frosty the Snowman, just seen this on FB Shocked We are staying there in August and only just commented last night that we will be able to walk/drive on Col previously only skied on.

At this rate, there will be some left over for next season Toofy Grin
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
stewart woodward, all snow?...Are those bushes or tree tops?
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Why's that van look like it's driving on left (i.e. wrong) side of road?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Got your lads delivering the furnishings for your third chalet/chateau?
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Boris, perhaps he got out to take the photo. Looks parked to me.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
For those who don't believe the depths

http://youtube.com/v/FHQSpfKabr8
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
thefatcontroller, there have been a lot of faked photos floating around.

I'm not disputing there have been some amazing depths, but some of that must be mountain sloping up as there is a bush growing out the top! Hence I don't think it is all snow on the right hand side
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
That video is from 2006. The col du Petit St Bernard is still closed BTW. Before you try driving over. It will open in June. Normallement.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
In the top pic, left hand-side is pretty-much all snow. Right hand side has a steep hillside underneath.
snow conditions
Giro d'Italia stage up Mont Cenis and the Col de Galibier tomorrow has been scrapped.

Edit -they didn't scrap it in the end, see below

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Mon 20-05-13 7:02; edited 1 time in total
latest report
This is the parcours for today's Giro

> In the top pic, left hand-side is pretty-much all snow

it is a drift, over the winter the wind filled in the flat hollow where the road passes. There isn't really 5 meters of snow depth.
snow report
davidof, thanks for that, and this represents the scaled down version of what was originally planned for today Shocked

Wonder if Wiggo will now view Giro as unfinished business and have another go in 2014, which kicks off in Ireland? Or is he a girl?
ski holidays
DoubleBombardino wrote:
which kicks off in Ireland?

Ireland, well I guess the flag is the same. How old is Wiggirl[1] now? He's probably still good for another couple of season isn't he? I wonder if the climbs on the Giro are just too hard for him though?

[1]http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/othersports/cycling/10053670/Giro-dItalia-2013-Bradley-Wiggins-disappointed-with-Giro-form-admitting-I-descended-like-a-bit-of-a-girl.html
latest report
Quote:

The col du Petit St Bernard is still closed BTW.

A number of big cols are still closed. The Cormet de Roselend is closed, too.
latest report
Go to 1.30 courtesy of Dwarf Vader

http://youtube.com/v/T4ZBjWNVEzQ&feature=youtu.be
ski holidays
That's an interesting way to film an alpine pass. Not open yet, then?
ski holidays
Frosty the Snowman, pam w, ...excellent video....now, a serious question (and not the 'it's terrible...' ... 'it's all nonsense...' responses above) - from someone who actually is familiar with the Petit St Bernard: what month would these conditions usually be associated with?

I am familiar with the situation in CMA - and I have never seen Cry D'er like this in May/June - these are early/late April conditions, so I reckon we are about 6 weeks behind where things are normally.
snow conditions
hey ho, I hope its cleared by mid July, I do like to pop over to Italy for lunch Very Happy
snow report
valais2, The latest I've known the road to be cleared was the 10th June, I think that was in 2006 and the snow banks were about 8 metres high, the pass is usually shut from mid Nov to early June.
snow conditions
Normally the col will open tomorrow from 10am.
snow report
Quote:

Normally the col will open tomorrow from 10am

very French use of "normalement" there wink
snow conditions
peut-être (shrug) Toofy Grin
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Claude B, "peut etre" indeed. how often would you hear that something "normally will" happen, in English. It would almost always be "normally would", as in "It normally would be open in early June but this year we expect it to be open a little later".

"Normalement" followed by a shrug, as an answer to a question about when something nice is going to happen, translates loosely as "we hope that" or, if you are lucky, "we expect that".

It's comparatively rare to use "normally" about a future even unless it's in the conditional. I have learnt this the hard way....... wink
latest report
We cycled over to Italy via the PSB today for coffee, nice ride. I'll post a video later so you can judge the conditions yourselves.

Hospice

Fridge

Climb

col

latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy