Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Pole plants

Poster: A snowHead
Richard_Sideways wrote:
Snowboarders don't come into it....

So why are you posting on this?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Richard_Sideways, Nope I think we're testing the pole/no pole paradigm so we should also test a selection of snowboarders/bladers/snobikers with and without. boarders will appreciate the poles on the flat and around mazes and their cornice whacking, bro tapping and identification of remote lines that they could definitely straightline and airs they'd stomp no problem will be vastly enhanced. After all there are plenty of boarders (& skiers) who carry around stupid gopro poles for no other purpose than looking a gurning prick on youtube.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Richard_Sideways,

I think you're just flat wrong. No evidence for it, but I think my lack of evidence trumps your lack of evidence.

Actually, that said, I blade way faster and am more stable on crap surfaces with my blading poles than without.

So I at least have anecdote on my side,

You on the other hand can't acually manage to slide without cricking your neck to get a full 180 field of vision.

I believe that's Top Trump to me.

I am also holding the Countach in the Supercar pack and I bet you don't have the only card that will trump it.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
fatbob, I've tried using a pole and, quite frankly, its just weird - more trouble than its worth...
Oh and as for new developments in poleing? BEHOLD!

FOUR WHEEL DRIVE FOR SKI POLES EH!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I board with poles. Ok, they're just strapped to my backpack, but they're there, goddamnit. I think skiers should strap their poles to their backpacks all day; they'd look way gnarlier.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Harrison Le Lapin, Oh goodie.... are we going to re-open the debate about the relative merits (or not) of availing oneself of second hand and somewhat unbalanced poles....? Toofy Grin
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
If you don't carry poles, what do you use to spear snowboarders when you find them all sitting across the trail, just over the next roller?

(A quick dab to the nape of the neck. It's quick and painless. Quite humane, really).
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Schuss in Boots, surely it was just a fact, not a debate. But I'd no idea you were Polish. wink
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Right enough dicking around - can we get back to the original purpose of this thread which was having a proper barney about how essential pole plants are in a variety of circumstances.

Starter for 10

From observation of various levels of intermediate skier I'd say all instruction systems are fundamentally flawed in their timing of introduction of pole use (i.e punters need some clue as to what they're for before they drop out of instruction entirely).
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Very useful for spearing/hooking something you might have dropped in the snow. Saves all that painful bending... wink
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Harrison Le Lapin, Just call me Mr Sheen.... NehNeh
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

From observation of the responses in this thread I'd say all instruction systems are fundamentally flawed in their timing of introduction of pole use (i.e punters need some clue as to what they're for before they drop out of instruction entirely).

fatbob, FIFY wink
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
queen bodecia wrote:
Very useful for spearing/hooking something you might have dropped in the snow. Saves all that painful bending... wink

Usually the other pole in my case Puzzled
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
fatbob, FWIW I think you will find that pole planting is encouraged (though its a very hostile environment for anything to start growing........Oops.....sorry!! Laughing ) from the start of instruction, I can remember vividly calls to plant my pole and to ski around it. Indeed, I've never had a lesson that hasn't mentioned them. However, I think that learners are very focussed on what their skis are doing, and the extra coordination required to work in hands just didn't happen for me. I might check and see if my kids pole plant, to see if its just an adult learner thing.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
fatbob, +1

Essential

- bumps (while you can ski them without, it is not trivial) NB I mean skiing bumps properly - fall line, avalement, etc.
- powder
- slalom
- proper steeps requiring 100% commitment to turns

Not essential

- anything else[/b]
ski holidays
under a new name, I don't consider pole plants essential for slalom.

I spend a fair bit of time carrying stuff while I'm skiing and find that I don't ski differently without poles than I do with.
snow report
under a new name, and is this:

Quote:

Not essential

- anything else

Is why I have never ended up doing them until this point?

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Fri 17-05-13 14:09; edited 1 time in total
snow report
rjs, really? not even for pole deflection? (my view on technique is a little out of date...)

Megamum, ummm, I am going to venture the suggestion that you haven't (yet) skied bumps fall line, powder (deep), SL or slopes steep enough that once you're 40% into the turn you have to complete it or it's going to hurt.
snow conditions
under a new name, that would be an entirely fair assessment, and I take on board the implication that in order to progress that far (should I want to) that it is a necessary skill to learn. In fact many instructors., I think, would argue that developing the skill can benefit the 'anything else' skiing too - which is why I am encouraged to learn how to do it at every juncture.
snow conditions
Quote:

Essential
- bumps (while you can ski them without, it is not trivial) NB I mean skiing bumps properly

Definitely ... after all you can't stab the dwarves in the foot, then punch him the face, unless you have poles Madeye-Smiley
latest report
... or was that just the instructors I've had?
latest report
and what do you kill the snow snakes with?
ski holidays
Quote:

and what do you kill the snow snakes with?

Laughing

Don't think any of my instructors have ever taught me how to deal with snow-snakes! Tell me more!
snow conditions
abj, you know - the little blighters that are apt to sling their coils around your skis, tip you over and then disappear without you realising what caused the fall. I'm sure they nest in mounds of snow, and apparently a good way forwards is to stab your pole into the centre of their coils before they get a chance to do something mean with them. Or so I hear wink
latest report
Megamum, makes perfect sense Very Happy

The dwarves I mentioned are the ones that stand on the top of each mogul (at least in my minds-eye) - a good stab in the foot with your pole, followed by a moderate punch in the face with the same hand, seems to work for me when trying to get my pole-plants right in bumps!
snow report
under a new name wrote:
Not essential

- anything else[/b]
rjs wrote:
under a new name, I don't consider pole plants essential for slalom.

I spend a fair bit of time carrying stuff while I'm skiing and find that I don't ski differently without poles than I do with.

I think it's not "essential" in any situation. But it may well be hugely benefitial in certain terrain, so benefitial that you don't enjoy it without!

Many of us had been in situation either we can't use our poles (carrying things) or plain didn't have them for whatever reason. You can ski moguls without them. But it's much harder!

I was going to say poles are essential for skating. But quickly I found out I could indeed skate without pole! It's just not nearly as fast and not nearly as efficient.

BTW, the sort of things skiers use poles for are things boarders don't do or do poorly.
- Ever seen a boarder zipping down the fallline on a mogul field? rolling eyes Yeah, usually on their backside! Toofy Grin
- Boarders skating? Haha! Very Happy
- Loaning it to stranded boarders, or giving them a tow. Well, that's the privilege of skiers! Laughing Laughing Laughing
- Wacking at the back of boarders sitting in the middle of the trail? Now, that's a bit unkind (even though I felt the urge to do so often enough) Embarassed wink
snow conditions
Megamum,

from the start of instruction, I can remember vividly calls to plant my pole and to ski around it.

Consider this:

Skis have a turning radius. Typically 12-15 m for a holiday ski.

The radius of a circle is the distance from the circumference to center.

From that it is fairly obvious that you won't be placing the pole at the center of the circle described by your skis unless you skid the turn so much that it's done with the skis nearly pointing at the pole.

It is often stated that the pole plant is the initiating action of the turn. More accurately it is the signal to change edges and initiate the turn.

After the turn is initiated, the skier has the support of the skis and can unplant the pole ready for the next turn on that side.

Assuming carved turns, how much do you think a skier is 'skiing round the pole' ?

In my stunningly arrogant and probably mistaken opinion, "Ski around the pole" would be useful advice if teaching short skidded turns to cope with steep terrain. The definition of 'steep' will vary according to the pupils' ability and attitude. I don't think that is advice that is appropriate in all situations.
latest report
thirty06, I didn't say I agree with the instruction, but that is very much what I got told when I started. At the time I wondered about the geometry of the instruction for precisely the reason you state. Just because I remember being told that it doesn't mean that I actually did it! I sometimes think that some instructions aren't meant to be taken literally, but are meant instead to convey a general idea - 'skiing around a pole' is probably one that is not meant to be taken literally in every scenario. I must admit I tend to take a lot of what I am told and stick it through a common sense filter and not only in skiing (as the midwifery team found out 13 years ago!)
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
thirty06 wrote:
Assuming carved turns, how much do you think a skier is 'skiing round the pole' ?

But that's an incorrect assumption. "skiing" =\= "carving"
ski holidays
Megamum wrote:
... I sometimes think that some instructions aren't meant to be taken literally, but are meant instead to convey a general idea - 'skiing around a pole' is probably one that is not meant to be taken literally in every scenario.
Perhaps the instructor's English wasn't good enough to accurately describe what he/she meant?

When I'm introducing the pole plant I specifically state that we DON'T stick it in the snow and turn around it. It is more like a pole 'tap' on the snow, which is the trigger to begin the next turn.
latest report
rob@rar, I was first instructed in by someone Swiss who didn't have a huge amount of English - so maybe you are right.
snow report
I can get about without them but given the choice and all that!

I reckon beginners/early intermediates don't really use or see the need for pole plants because they don't really use their edges that much and ski with a more steered nature with skis fairly flat, there's no big extremes of edge changing going on etc. so timing is not so important.

As we get better and start to use the edges more or move from one turn to another quicker, timing becomes a lot more important imo and though not essential I think it really helps to have a get ready to move switch when these edge changes/direction change become more extreme. Ranges from a big stab to a small touch or even a slight hand movement depending on the pitch of the slope or how fast you are moving.

Having said all that a know a level two who can pole plant but chooses not to most of the time! Puzzled
latest report
gatecrasher, If it's on piste and it's only about timing not function, no reason to plant if the person can make that timing in their head. I hope BASI doesn't mark candidates down on it as that would be Form over Function and a repression of personal style wink

Of course letting the hands go back can contribute to getting generally backseat etc etc.
snow conditions
fatbob, I have to say he doesn't do too badly without it on or off! Cool
snow report
I think this description sums it up - relating to planting in powder, but relevant to plants in all conditions
Quote:
Plant, plant, plant….

The final ingredient at the moment is the pole plant. .... The pole plant has a host of positive effects. That third point of contact and feedback from the hill really aids balance – make your pole plant strong. The plant also helps create a rhythm to the run – say boom every time you plant left, bang when you plant right and create a beat. The plant also comes at a critical time as the skis change direction.

Make sure you plant at the junction or ‘transition’ between turns. Finally, the pole creates a block to stabilize the upper body as you rotate your legs into the new turn. Imagine during the turn, you have wound your body up as you rotate your lower body whilst keeping your upper body facing down the hill. Now stabilize the upper body through the plant and the lower body will naturally uncoil. This torque effect or ‘anticipation’ makes leg rotation a cinch.
http://mountaintracks.co.uk/blog/how-perfect-short-radius-powder-turns

OK - I appreciate that pure carving doesn't rely on planting, but hey: you're not carving at all times and this is a solid technique to add to your skill set.
latest report
check out the pole plants

http://www.snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=100401
snow report
gatecrasher wrote:

As we get better and start to use the edges more or move from one turn to another quicker, timing becomes a lot more important imo and though not essential I think it really helps to have a get ready to move switch when these edge changes/direction change become more extreme. Ranges from a big stab to a small touch or even a slight hand movement depending on the pitch of the slope or how fast you are moving.

I think this is quite a good point. I've spent so much time skiing with poles/so little without, that when I make a plant, everything else for the turn 'just happens,' without thinking about it, reflexively. Take away the pole, I seem to have to actually think a bit about what to do when, and will be less smooth/co-ordinated as a result.
snow conditions
Thornyhill wrote:
check out the pole plants

http://www.snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=100401

Check out his powder version.....

http://youtube.com/v/TG0FXS60tTA
snow report
So Mr Ligety reckons they are useful for GS (on piste) and powder, but not Super G. Anyone like to tell him he is wrong? Toofy Grin
snow report
Thornyhill, feckin hack - he can't even keep within the basic FIS "rule" of always skiing in control
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy