Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Help with planning a ski season

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hello mates,
I am looking into working as an instructor this winter season. But I have some considerations and need help based on your experience! As I don't have any myself.

My story is that I'm from Norway and have skied all my life. However, for the last two years, I have been abroad, and not able to. Currently live in Australia, and with their uni-summer break being from Dec-March, I want to spend that time on the snow.

However, I sort of have to be in Norway for Christmas. And I would like to do a CSIA course, because I wish to work my next season in Canada.
I believe you can do CSIA courses in Andorra. Do you have any info/experience from that? Or other countries in Europe? Or is it possible to do a NZSIA course over a week? I am going there for skiing in mid-July a week. (and CSIA 2 next season)

I believe I can save some coin going around the whole 'gap-year' idea. And am confident I don't need five weeks of technique training before the test. Not saying I am the king of the hill, but I do consider myself an experienced skier. So I am thinking of skiing a week, sort of 'warm up' and then do the course, bounce to Norway, and bounce back again working until late feb.

The questions are really:
- Is it achievable to do a level 1 CSIA in Europe in Dec, go home for Christmas, and find work after Christmas?
- Or do a BASI this winter and do a CSIA 2 next season?
- Get a job after Christmas at all? That in any type of job you can do as a 'freshie' to this type of lifestyle.

I am aware of certain complications to the matter, such as Christmas being a very busy period, and is when you are most desired. And CSIA not being the most eligible certification in Europe.

I tried to look up similar questions, but didn't find succeed very well.

Cheers,
Peter
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
NZSIA Level 1 in Niseko Hirafu, Hokkaido, Japan pre-Christmas on your way from Australia to Norway.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Norwegian qualification should be good enough for Canada/Europe, I'd have thought? Maybe there's a pre-Christmas course you could do. If you can get to resort for New Year week, you shouldn't find it too hard to find work. Fuerstauer Ski Schule in Saalbach are ALWAYS looking for instructors, not sure if they have any Norwegians now but there are plenty of Danish/Swedish instructors (at least one working with the Danish qualification and not the Austrian), and usually plenty of Scandinavian guests booking lessons.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
It's not just about how good you are at skiing... it's how good you understand skiing tecnique, can evaluate an individuals skiing ability, fix it, demonstrate it and explain in a laymans terms how it should feel and the impending results...why's and wherefores'.... in other words can you teach?
Can you speak German or French?
Tbh...can't see you getting much work outside of the 'holiday periods'.
Good luck in your pursuit tho'.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy