Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

You're never too old

Poster: A snowHead
For 2 or 3 years one of our regular clients has been making steady progress with his skiing, making some nice changes despite the fact that he has skied for years and has many miles under his skis. He was with skimottaret today for a Skills Clinic and looking in pretty good shape, despite undergoing a course of radiotherapy in the last few months. If I have his passion for skiing when I'm 73 I'm going to be ever so grateful. It's incredibly inspiring to teach him.

You're never too old
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Inspiring indeed! snowHead
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Iski, +1 There's hope for us, perhaps! wink
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
rob@rar, is that John?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Pedantica, yes.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
rob@rar, fabulous. Sorry to hear he's been poorly. Do say hi for me next time you see him.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Pedantica wrote:
Iski, +1 There's hope for us, perhaps! wink

That's just what I was thinking! Laughing
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Tell him that he has a fan - I wish I could do that!!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
rob@rar, I hope I'll still be skiing then - only another 7 years. Sad
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Excellent.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
pam w wrote:

Looks quite tidy. I, too, am not that far off his age; I don't know whether I'll still be skiing when I get to it. I am tempted to do a couple of weeks next year - after that I'll be deciding one year at a time.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Was in Val Thorens with my Father in Law who is 77 at the same time as the EOSB. (Didn't see any other Brits there).

He gets a free lift pass now and they know him quite well there. Can still go down the Col in pretty horrible conditions and all the black runs there.

He has nearly 30 years on me and I have more back and joint aches and pains than he does.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
http://www.facebook.com/groups/289760017613/#!/photo.php?fbid=597058693657534&set=o.289760017613&type=1&theater

This is Bernie Warriner. He is a living legend in English skiing circles. He is 81 years old and I would imagine that he is a contender for ‘most active skier living in this country over the last 20 years’ snowHead

This year he will have skied at least 70 days. Two years ago he skied a day for each year of his life. That is particularly impressive because most of that has been up at Raise which involves an hours drive from his home and then an hour walk up hill…often carrying fuel and other supplies. Cool

….and then there are all the working parties he has organised and attended……. Shocked
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
pam w wrote:

+1. (8 years for me.)
Mind you, when Horizon says I and other oldies in our group are inspirational because he realises he has such a long time ahead of him to ski at a high level.... it does make me feel old Sad
achilles glad to hear you are having second thoughts about ending your skiing career!
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

achilles glad to hear you are having second thoughts about ending your skiing career!

+1. I think "deciding year by year" makes plenty of sense. You're not signing up for a career in the Army.
snow report
Just about six years until I get to that age now.

What struck me about the video in the OP was that the skier still has good flexibility and is quite dynamic in his movements. I think that is important as you get older. Strength and stamina are required but to keep skiing to a decent standard you have to maintain flexibility as well.
snow conditions
Quote:

Strength and stamina are required

not that much, for lift-served skiing on piste. Keeping leg and core muscles in decent shape makes sense, but it's dynamic fitness which is required, rather than brute strength. Decent technique is a lot more important IMHO but the joint flexibility is also important, to reduce likelihood of injuries. I find the best thing is only to fall down on steep slopes - so much easier to get up!

As for stamina, there's no rule to say you have to ski from dawn to dusk. Nice long lunches are much more affordable when you are past the stage of having kids in tow!
ski holidays
My Mum is 79 and has just stopped being an Instructor at the local dry slope. Her certificate expired and she CBA to renew it! She and my Dad (80 shortly) are still skiing on snow too. They are both fit-ish and active and happy to be on skis. Why give up if you can still enjoy it?
Little Angel
snow report
I competed at the Masters World Championships in March ( I am a baby at a mere 44 years old) , 3 of the Japanese ladies team were over 80 years old, the oldest World Champion, Ernst , died last Christmas - he was 93, amazing what is achievable ! Very Happy
latest report
I compete in FFS masters races and the older competitors have birth dates in the 1930's & 1940's. They make me feel quiet young wink
snow report
FFS what's a FFS?stewart woodward,
latest report
stewart woodward, I was collecting my bib in Bischofweisen, Germany last January, told the bib lady my year of birth, 1968, she announced "Ahhh a teenager" ! Very Happy
latest report
I met a French lady of nearly 80 in Flaine last season. She skis every day of the season and does the Diamant Noir (I hate that piste) on a regular basis Cool
snow report
I saw this guy via a FB post the other week, 95! Looks as if he's had his boots a few years too!

http://youtube.com/v/KoQ5IEUpKEA&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DKoQ5IEUpKEA
ski holidays
snowyowl wrote:
FFS what's a FFS?stewart woodward,

Federation Francaise de Ski. http://www.ffs.fr/ Lots of regional races available throughtout France.
snow conditions
When we were in Zermatt few years ago we bought a book about a mountain guide named Ulrich Inderbinen, who worked until 95 years old. He did his last ascent of the Matterhorn at 90 years old. Amazing biography about amazing man.
snow report
When we were in Zermatt few years ago we bought a book about a mountain guide named Ulrich Inderbinen, who worked until 95 years old. He did his last ascent of the Matterhorn at 90 years old. Amazing biography about amazing man.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy