Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Family resort for 6 weeks

Poster: A snowHead
HI folks,

Any help appreciated. Been given 2 months off work from December. We are thinking of staying in Europe for this time skiing. Aim for adults to improve skiing and 9 year old son to learn to ski, although he has already decided he wants to be a snowboarder. Which resort would be best, for accommodation (looking for an apartment), variety of skiing and other stuff to do. Accommodation needs to be price realistic (ie we don't have a huge budget!!)

One of the other aims is for learning a new language, so the earlier we sort out, the more practice beforehand!!

Many thanks
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
6 weeks skiing.........
V jealous.
My 2ps worth.
If you want to learn another language go somewhere still French ish. But for 6 weeks needs to be a decent sized resort.
I would be looking at somewhere like serre chevalier. Still reasonably priced and great sized resort with a bit of charm as its still really villages not a purpose built resort.
Or you could look at somewhere like les sybelles area. Good skiing, very French in some villages or there is le corbier, still very cheap for apartments, ugly but ski in ski out.
Sure there will be loads of other suggestions.

Still very jealous though Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hmm.. won't get far on the bargain accomodation given that your 6 weeks presumably include peak Xmas and NY weeks. As for Europe you are likely to be taking your own car I'd consider valley towns with good access to a ski area - I'd think about Austria then places like the Bourgs and Briancon in France, maybe Aosta in Italy.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
alfie2, If you avoid the peak weeks you can get accommodation for a resonable price. I'm going to Les Deux Alpes for 7 weeks next winter, but in 2 trips. 3 weeks in January then another 4 from mid March. Avoiding Christmas, New Year and the french holidays has enabled me to get a very good deal on an apartment.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
alfie2, try Austria as hotels don't vary quite so much in terms of supplements for Christmas and New Year. For example the place I stay in in the middle of the Ski Amadé region cost me 1200 Euro for 16 days Half Board over Christmas and New Year (that included my drinks bill as well by the way!). There are lots of family run Gasthofs/Hotels where you can get a good deal for that length of time.

Self-Catering you may find that the prices vary more, but if you get in early enough then you may be able to negotiate - loads of 1 and 2-bedroom places in Altenmarkt im Pongau or St Johann im Pongau. Better known resorts or technically "ski in/ski out" locations are at a premium and will cost more wherever you are. Flachau and Wagrain for example although not that well-known in the UK, are extremely popluar with Dutch and Scandinavian tourists, so the owners know they can get a good price out of the demand. One of the flats I look after was sold out for the entire season because it is in Flachau (also a bloody good flat in a terrific location).

Alternatively get in touch with our own flangesax who runs a small family pension in Radstadt and also has 2 children that would be company for your boy. Avalanche Poodle stayed 6 weeks or so with them this season. They also have lots of contacts in the area that may provide a suitable alternative. As Radstadt is below the radar in terms of lots of countries, the prices are not too bad, especially for a longer period.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

2 children that would be company for your boy

I think that's quite an important consideration for 6 weeks - though presumably in that case the children would be English speaking!

Learning a language is quite a tall order, actually, unless you very specifically plan it in. Certainly there are French resorts where little English is spoken (I have an apartment in one, Les Saisies!) but in 6 weeks, in the normal tourist course of events, you wouldn't expect to speak a lot.

Do you speak any French, German or Italian already? If so it might be easier.

There is a language school, which I have used, in Les Saisies - http://www.alplingua.com/Etarifs.htm

I can thoroughly recommend it but obviously it will add considerably to costs. The school has contacts with accommodation providers.

There is plenty of skiing to keep you occupied - I've spent months there. Private lessons are very reasonable but group lessons are largely francophone (because there are so few anglophone visitors, which is good if you are trying to speak French a bit - bigger ski resorts are chock full of competent English speakers who would rather speak English to you than let you struggle in French or German).

If your lad is keen to learn to snowboard, why not let him? Might help make up for being expected to learn some French or German!!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Before you ask the audience, may I suggest you go 50/50 and decide first whether you want mountain-based, ski in/out convenience or valley-based, drive-and-ride variety.

Mountain: time saving, instructor rapport, easy navigation

Valley: variety of slopes, cheaper accommodation, real life
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

valley-based, drive-and-ride variety.

bear in mind ski pass costs. If you choose an area where you can get a season ski pass with a variety of resorts (ski amadé, mont blanc evasion, for example) you could have masses of choice, but you would need a car to get the best out of them, obviously.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
pam w, indeedy. And conversely, if you're gonna be stuck in one resort for 6 weeks then it'll probably needs to be a big (expensive) one.

That's why I suggested that the OP narrows the field a bit.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

if you're gonna be stuck in one resort for 6 weeks then it'll probably needs to be a big (expensive) one.

not necessarily, it all depends what you want. I have spent a lot more time than that in Les Saisies and surroundings and somewhere like St Gervais, a bigger town but not particularly expensive, is a good centre for the Mont Blanc Evasion area. I've not been to the Ski Amadé area but it sounds as though there are plenty of smaller, inexpensive, resorts in that area.

There are no facilities in a big, expensive resort (e.g. Val D'Isere, St Anton) that I would want or need, over and above what is available in small places. If you want to spend time learning a language, a resort with a language school is a good bet!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Ski buses are included in the Ski Amadé pass as with all the other aki area passes and that includes between the resorts as well within the area. If I remember correctly the pass cost something like 450 € pre- 6th December and about 500 € after that in the 2012/2013 season. The Super Salzburger Ski Pass covers a huge area, but you really need your own wheels to get the best out of it. The boy will have a reduced price for his pass which ever one you buy. Any children under 6 get a free pass as long as at least one parent buys a full one. The ages are done by the year of birth by the way, which favours those born at the back end of the year (I was able to get my Senorin Pass 2 seasons before my 60th birthday Toofy Grin )

You could do the same in any number of different locations in Austria: Zillertal and Ski Welt in Tirol spring to mind, but try to avoid the main tourist drags such as Söll, Scheffau and Ellmau (Ski Welt) Mayrhofen, Zell am Zillertal (Zillertal) as you are in competition with all the major European Tour Operators. There are plenty of good satellite areas with excellent connections and good rates for a longer than normal booking. They often offer special rates for a Pauschal rental/booking.

Wherever you end up the chances are that you can negotiate a rate over the entire period as you are guaranteeing the landlord a solid 6 week rental. Some absentee landlords may not get that in the whole season!
wink
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
We rented a place for the season for a couple of years in Les Carroz-very nice villagey feel. Part of the Grand Massif ski area so lots of skiing that includes Flaine. Les Carroz is quite French too, but very friendly. The skiing in the whole area is lovely-lots of trees, and nice places to go if the weather is pants. They do say the GM has 265km of pistes but I would say that you should take that with a pinch of salt as some of that is below 1100m, The lift pass for the season was a real bargain if bought before about 15th December (half price). 2 years ago it was 420 euros for an adult, and half that for a child which was up to and including 17 years old! Should you need to get back to the UK quickly Geneva is an hour away. This also makes it really good for having mates out for the odd day or 2 as it is really easy to go and pick em up and drop em off, especially if they fly in from Gatwick as there are lots of flights each day so being a cheap taxi service doesn't interrupt the serious business of skiing. We loved it! I am assuming you will be taking a car so you're not quite so much in need of ski in/ski out-that opens up rentals that aren't quite as "prime" in terms of location, but you can still find some lovely places with more charm and space then something bang in the village centre. The local estate agents tend to be the best source of properties. The GM is just around the hill from the Portes du Soleil ski area too and season passes usually offer day passes to other local resorts too.

Season just gone we had a lovely apartment in one of the hamlets next door to St Martin de Belleville (3 Valleys), about a mile from the lift-had it for 7 weeks in total. as to an idea on price-we had a 3 bedroomed apartment in an old converted village house, nicely finished and comfortably slept 6-7. We rented it with a mate from 22nd december until 15th Feb just before most people's half terms (but not ours Smile). I think the total rental (split between 2 families) was £5500, including bills. (I should add-we're not there the whole time, we came and went via Geneva). We bought a flexi skipass, but for 6 weeks you'd have to shell out for a full 3V season which is most definitely NOT a bargain, but the skiing was fantastic! Geneva was just over a 2 hour drive though, so it was more of a chore to pick people up from the airport.
For 6 weeks, I think it's nicer to be in a "real" place rather than a rather sterile "resort"
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I'd have a look at Serre Che/Briancon. The latter is a proper town, there are baths and more in the valley, and it's easy to get up to La Grave, across to Monty etc. Lovely little resort, superb skiing. Chantemerle would be my pick of the villages.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hi folks,

Many many thanks, lots to be going on with. Will be driving out, so options more open. We were looking more for the traditional village, and then drive/bus/long lift to resort. Thoughts are the more traditional town/village the more we will need to use our french and Ben can start to use school boy french for real.

Not thought of Austria, having never skied there

Many thanks again
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
alfie2, Might be a good time to broaden your horizons then! wink
latest report
alfie2, I'm not sure if you told us when you go out. If going out early Dec then most of your time will be at touch-and-go time of year snow-wise so you want somewhere high to be sure of snow.
ski holidays
A few years ago annie on here took the family( husband and one son ) to st gervais for tthe season she i am sure could give you a lot of advice.
ski holidays
alfie2, Welcome to Toofy Grin YHM!

But a couple of further thoughts from me;
1) YOu don't really need a "massive resort" as some have said you can really enjoy some of the smaller resorts, I've lived in resorts with as little as 100+km of Pistes and enjoyed them just as much as resorts with 600km+ of pistes!
2) If you're thinking early December until end of January then you won't actually have that much time of skiing as the majority of resorts wont fully open until near Christmas!
ski holidays
Obviously I'm biased to Serre Che but others have mentioned some of the benefits especially if you have a car - you could secure some well priced accommodation in Briancon.

Another point to consider is if you buy a season lift pass before Dec 1st (though check the exact date) you get 25% off already a very economic pass if staying for six weeks - and for the kids maybe you could also consider the holiski pass which is like an Oyster card.

The season pass will also give you numerous days in Puy St Vincent , Montgenevre / Clavierre , Deux Alpes and Alpe D'Huez and discount on La Grave as well.

Have been doing a blog over the last four years or so when we go for four to six weeks - take a look and will give you an idea of what we get up to
http://www.anotherharddayattheoffice.co.uk/2011.html

http://www.anotherharddayattheoffice.co.uk/serrejan2011.html

http://www.anotherharddayattheoffice.co.uk/daily-mountainblog-home.html

http://www.gavinbaylis.com/ski/ few broken links back in 2009
snow report
Have a look at villages around the Grand Massif. The season pass is really reasonable if you buy it before the winter. There are many apartments up for rent. In Les Carroz there is a great school where they are used to having English-speaking kids and the village itself is lovely. Send an e-mail to http://www.snowbeds.com - they may be able to help. The guys who run it have had kids in the local school so should be able to give you plenty of info.

The Grand Massif is one of the best ski areas in France in my opinion and the variety is great!
ski holidays
Second Grand Massif and also Paradiski area is huge and offers something for everybody. You can stay in any of the Les Arcs resorts, La Plagne or even down in Bourg St Maurice (much cheaper accomodation) and use the funicular and buses as part of the ski pass to get up into the mountains.
snow report
With 6 weeks one should sample the best of European Alps of Switzerland, France, Italy and Austria. Why stay in one place or one country?

Just hop into a car and check out the best, the largest, the most scenic, most prestigious and the most famous you can find. Just book off-resort accommodations and you can enjoy the best at the affordable cost.
latest report
Hi folks

Many thanks, loads to be going on. Like the sound of Bourg, Les Carroz and Brides les Bain. Just now looking for the most affordable accommodation options.
latest report
Not appropriate for alfie2 unfortunately but for someone who could do a few weeks outside of the Christmas/New Year and 4 weeks of French half term mid February, Megeve does a €230 season pass that covers 300km weekdays outside of school holidays and you get 3 half price day passes to use in other Haute Savoie resorts too. The Espace Diamant does a loyalty card offering Saturdays for €18 (and I think if you do that 6 times the 7th Saturday is free or something) It's a pretty good combination I think for someone going for 2 weeks + off peak.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy