Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Le Harve to Tignes

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Just a bit of advice really, I have booked apartment in Tignes for 2 weeks from 18th jan and was looking at going from portsmouth to le harve as its more convenient for us in deepest Cornwall.
I've driven from Dover to serre che countless times but was wondering is it just as easy driving from le harve and what kind if time should I be allowing my self to get to tignes in a real world. The AA says 9hr 45 mins but I've driven up the vally to les arcs before and that can be a nightmare......
Kinda hoping jan won't be too bad.
Cheers Tim
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Driving from Le Havre is easier than from Dover (Calais), IMV. Time is a little shorter than from Calais and at the Tignes end traffic should be light(ish).
Around Paris, I would avoid the peripherique and use the N104 (for the section between Versailles and Evry).

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Mon 13-05-13 13:15; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
That's what I thought and it means I can get a nights sleep on the ferry as well.
Not as young as I used to be rolling eyes
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

I can get a nights sleep on the ferry as well

you'll be lucky! I never managed to get a "night's sleep" on the ferry - more of a fitful doze. I live 10 minutes from Portsmouth ferry port but drive to Dover and take Eurotunnel. Not only because I can go free with Tesco Clubcard points, but also because, having done the Portsmouth - Le Havre route several times, I always found Paris a pain. I also dislike the A6 motorway. The Calais route is longer but easier, IME. But from Cornwall I appreciate that getting to Folkestone adds about an hour and a half to a long journey!
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I think if I've worked it out right going pmouth le harve saves me about 2.5 hrs driving each way. And a tank of fuel....
The other option was Dover - Calais and stay in an f1 on the way down.
With the extra driving and hotel cost there is nothing saved by Dover crossing and I should be able to pass out on the ferry as I'm doing a full days work then hoofing it up to portsmouth for the 23.00 ferry...
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

saves me about 2.5 hrs driving each way.

depends when you hit Paris, I guess. Having spent too long sitting in traffic jams on that wretched "Francilienne" (?sp) outer ring road, I gave it up.

One of the problems was being unable to judge timing exactly, getting back to Le Havre, because of not knowing how long the Paris section was going to take. With only the one ferry a day, you tend to end up wasting a lot of time because of having to leave so much time. But yes, the journey is longer via Dover, on both sides of the channel - there are swings and roundabouts. If you can sleep well on the ferry it makes a big difference - but if not it just makes for a far longer journey, door to door.

After a few trips on the A6, in bad weather and with loads of lorries, I decided to try to avoid it as much as possible in future.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Never driven on the A6 but am hoping jan? And on a sat? Should help.
The ferry gets in at 8am so allowing for unloading I should avoid any kind of rush hour there is on a sat.
And on the way back it should be the same hopefully as the ferry leaves a 5 ish I should be well past Paris for the rush hour.
Or am I just kidding myself. Is it always busy round Paris?
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

Is it always busy round Paris?

yes, pretty well! Saturdays in January will obviously be much easier than a Saturday in peak season, though the roads up to tignes are never going to be quiet on a Saturday. Fingers crossed for good weather; when there's a few inches of snow the area round Paris copes no better than busy areas in the south of England.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy