Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Converting BASI Level 2 Ski instructor qualification to Austrian Anwaerter

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Converting your BASI Level 2 into the Austrian Anwaerter (level 1) qualification is an annoying and faffy process but it is cheaper and less time consuming than just taking the full 10 day Anwaerter course. I know how to do it because I did it this season after struggling to find work as an instructor with my BASI 2 so I would recommend it if you would like to work in Austria. (Some regions except the BASI 2 licence but not many).

1st - On the BASI website there is a step by step procedure and the forms you will need to fill in. I wanted to work in the Tirol region so but you don't email them the relevant information you need to email sabine.schreiner@tirol.gv.at with all your relevant paper work.
She will then send you a form to fill out and return along with 1st aid, Level 2 completion form, syllabus in german and Level 2 results.
I then had to wait for the Austrian Government to approve my qualifications which took a couple of days with no informtaion about what was happening at this time was given.
I had to pay 95.70 euros for the adminstration costs of getting my qualification. This to me was them taking my money for nothing really but I had to pay it to get my qualification converted so I did the english thing and didn't argue and just paid the money.
Once this money is paid you will receive part recognition for the Anwaerter and an examination date which you then have to email snow sport tirol to book onto. The cost of the exam is 114.30 euros. 100 euros for the exam and 14.30 for stamp duty, again I have no idea what that is but I paid it. You pay this on the day of the test.

The parts of the test required to gain full recognition are broken down into 2 sections
- german written test.
- practical ski assessment.
The german written test is obviously in German and you don't have to all the sections only
- Tourismuskunde (tourism section)
- Skiunterricht für Kinder (working with children)
- Berufskunde und Vorschriften über das Schischulwesen (rules and regulations of skiing)

The test is all written in German and you can take a German to English dictionary in with you and you can ask for an English translation of the questions. Some are multiple choice others are your own written answers and they all have to be in German. I think you have to get at least 50% on every question to pass so don’t leave and questions blank.

You have 1 hour to complete the test but you need to work on your German before the test and it helps if you can get your hands on the syllabus which is available from the snow sport tirol website. They apparently use the same questions every year so I can give you the questions I can remember that I had and the answers and hopefully you’ll have the same ones.

Tourism section asked
- name 3 big ski resorts in the Tirol? Pretty easy question just write down 3 big ski resorts.
- name 10 companies that are useful to work with? Again pretty easy answers like ski lift companies, restaurants, hotels etc remember try to get 50% on each question so write down at least 5 answers for this.

Working with kids asked
- when is the most important part of a children’s lesson? Multiple choice and the answer is the 1st 5 minutes.
- what equipment is useful to help teach kids? I had never heard of some of these things I think you had to name 6 so I went for the 50% of the answer and named 3 that someone told me minutes before the test. (Dach) Roof in German, half pipe and I can’t remember the other answer I put try and find these out as this question should come up.

The rules section
- I remember that I had to name the 10 FIS rules in German I knew the rules and just translated word for word using my dictionary. It took a while so I just put 8 down.
This is what happened in my test and I passed so hopefully this will help you I can’t remember if there were any other questions but you need to try and find the syllabus for these sections in the test. Be warned no one will tell you what’s going on and everyone will speak German, if your German is not so good just be honest and ask for people to explain things to you in English if you’re apologetic and polite they usually will.

The practical section is insultingly easy for anyone who has the BASI 2 qualification. I did mine on a tiny slope where you could practice I had to pay 5 euros for a lift pass for this part of the test. You will get a numbered bib I was quite near the front number 6 I think so I could watch what we had to do without understanding anything they were saying.

You have to demonstrate good snowplough turns or Pflug in German, plough parallel carvengrundstufe in German and parallel. Easy as anything just make sure you over exaggerate the movements and smile. I then had to perform controlled fairly quick parallel turns in a narrowing corridor and stop at the end with a good alpine position. And that’s it really easy thankfully no lessons have to be given.
When this is over you have to wait around for 3 to 4 hours. I am not joking I have no idea what they were talking about as there weren’t that many people on my test. They then read out the names of people who passed no scores are given just the sheet of paper stating you have passed.

I hope this helps people because I spoke to so many people who didn’t know exactly the process and it was pretty stressful and tiring with a lot of waiting around. Apply to convert early and it is good to open the door to Austrian Ski Schools. Also the hardest part of the test is understanding the German language and being able to answer in German. I hope this helps.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
A useful summary. Thanks!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy