Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The Arlberg Snow Report 2013/2014 (Post Season 50cm New Snow :-)

Poster: A snowHead
Folks. this closing weekend will be much cooler, sleet & snow up higher. It will then be followed by Snow & below freezing temps on Monday when the lifts are closed.

Time to get the Skins on ...

If your hanging around these parts for another week or so around the corner in Ischgl they have their End of the Season Top of the Mountain Concert on May 3rd.

http://www.ischgl.com/de/enjoy/events/top-events/top-of-the-mountain-concert-mit-robbie-williams_topevent111852
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Folks. Last day of the season.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
08:30 Galzig -2C Snowiing ! Very Happy
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
stanton, get your skins out. Thanks for all your updates this season.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Time to start the 2014/15 thread. Will not however presume to thread on Stanton's domain by doing so.

First rumour... Trittkopf to be replaced by a new gondola. Overheard, coming from a Zurs instructor. True? Hope not!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
ulmerhutte,

Not a rumour. The lifts are already being fabricated at Dopplmayr!
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
ulmerhutte wrote:

First rumour... Trittkopf to be replaced by a new gondola. Overheard, coming from a Zurs instructor. True? Hope not!

Why don't you want an old slow lift replaced with a newer faster one???
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
When the lifts are old and / or it requires a bit of effort to get to the goods then certain areas remain less tracked out for longer. The "dedicated" put the tracks in over a period of time. Putting a new lift in often opens the lift up to the masses and after a matter of minutes it's tracked out, often trashed (tracks all over the place rather than well farmed so many more can enjoy fresh tracks).
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
DB, do you know the particular lift/area in question?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
kitenski wrote:
DB, do you know the particular lift/area in question?

I'm sure others here know the area better but I do ski St Anton almost every year, sometimes multiple times a year.

http://www.guggis.at/files/neue_lifte_zuers_am_arlberg.jpg
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
DB, well then you know that lift is very old and not very busy!! At the beginning of April we used it twice I think, not more than 10 folk in it at any one time, and often 20 mins hanging around the bottom waiting for it to go!!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
This is part of the link over to Rauz, I think it'll be a good thing. Been stuck there before and it's in need of update.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
kitenski wrote:
DB, well then you know that lift is very old and not very busy!! At the beginning of April we used it twice I think, not more than 10 folk in it at any one time, and often 20 mins hanging around the bottom waiting for it to go!!

To be honest, I'm unsure whether it will be a good thing or not. Was just trying to explain why it may not be better to replace an an old lift. (Some of the best resorts for all day powder skiing are the small unknown ones with old lifts).

St Anton has improved/is improving the links between places like Rendl and Stuben. This makes it easier to get to but probably also much more busy - is this a good thing?

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Mon 28-04-14 10:12; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
The Story (In German)

http://www.trittkopfbahn.de/

click on link for the project aspirations.

Abriss?!
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
DB wrote:

THE best resorts for all day powder skiing are the small unknown ones with old lifts.

St Anton has improved/is improving the links between places like Rendl and Stuben. This makes it easier to get to but probably also much more busy - is this a good thing?

FIFY.

Getting more people there more quickly = powder tracked out that much quicker.
latest report
kitenski wrote:
ulmerhutte wrote:

Why don't you want an old slow lift replaced with a newer faster one???

The upside of the cable car is that it promotes people spreading out. It drops 40 or 50 people at the top, then there is 5 or so minutes before the next lot arrive. Some people race off quickly, others wait until just before the next one arrives, and the rest in between. Even on a busy day, it is easy to be by yourself on a section of the run.

A detachable gondola will ensure a steady stream. It is likely to be mayhem on that pitch between the first and second corners.

...besides the I am kinda' fond of the old quirky cable car.

My $0.02's worth.
snow conditions
kitenski wrote:

True. Though in February, the queue is often out of the door, particularly in the morning.
ski holidays
clarky999,

sshhhhh wink
latest report
Any timescale on "improving" the lifts above Stuben ?
snow report
Blastfromthepast, hopefully a long time away, that's the beauty of the place!
ski holidays
The Arlberg is huge region& it attracts a serious level of skier/boarder

Unless your here on the day it dumps. Lift served off piste terrain (even though it is huge) gets tracked out on the day. OK after a big dump they let it settle for a day or two before opening the upper lifts but that does not stop folk hiking to ge to it before the masses Very Happy

Away from the lifts (hiking,skins) POW can be found for weeks after a dump.

The Trittkopf will be replaced by a two stage Gondola. Main reason is it will act a transport transit system as well.

Blastfromthepast,

Also hopefully never Very Happy

However, it will happen. Plan is to replace Albona 1 two man chair (Access from Stuben) with a Six Man Bubble Chair when they build the Albonasattelbahn (Gondola) up from Alpe Rauz.

Alpe Rauz will become a huge Staging Area (Car Park Shops etc) It willl be the Terminus for .

Access to St Anton exisiting Chairlift ValfagehrBahn
Access to Albona via NEW Gondola Albonasattelbahn
Access to Zurs via NEW Gondola Flexenbahn K2 (Ochsenboden - Trittkopf)

Schrocken will get its innaugral Cable Car giving it direct access to Warth, Lech etc.
snow report
Markymark29 wrote:
Blastfromthepast, hopefully a long time away, that's the beauty of the place!

+1!

Hopefully the old Schindler lift never gets replaced either!
snow report
clarky999

Unfortunatly Schindler will have to be renewed probably in the next 5 years and unconfirmed reports say it will be a 6 Man Chair with Bubble.
ski holidays
...and the word I got from one of the locals was that the Kapall link was back on. Possible start in summer 2015. Again, I am not sure that I am happy about that. The area is already big enough and the connection will probably "wreck" some great off piste / touring routes.

As for Zurs, I would rather the money was spent upgrading either Zursersee or Seekopf... they get some huge queues, especially in the morning. Even the Ubunglift gets very crowded when multiple buses come in.

There is also talk of upgrading Madlochbahn. Maybe only talk. It would be a great idea, but only if it was accompanied by slope works on the first section.
snow report
There is a link to info on the Kappl link in this thread somewhere, not too many pages back as it was only in the local paper here not that long ago. Again, I'm not too sure I want the area extended much more beyond what it is, although as somebody who is here for a season, depending on how much of the Kappl/Ischgl area is included in the seasons pass, it would be good to explore somewhere new (actually had to refer to a piste map this season for the first time in years with the Warth link).

Car/bags are all packed as I'm off back to the UK in the morning (early night seems to have gone down the drain courtesy of calling in to Fang and Dooley's to say a 'quick' goodbye...). Speaking to several of he tag locals who have lived here for 60/70 years, this has been the worst season they've known, and had it not been for a cold November and snow making, the season would've been over not long after it would have eventually got started (Pettneu being a perfect example). Here's hoping to a good one next Wnter.
snow report
A ski instructor, who lives behind where we stay, said he had not seen a season like it in 40 years of teaching. That said, kudos to ABB... with little help from nature, they still managed to deliver a great holiday experience for the majority. Great work, guys and gals!
ski holidays
Here comes the snow ! Some decent accumulations. Freeze level will drop the next few days

http://www.meteoblue.com/de/%C3%B6sterreich/wetter-ulmer-h%C3%BCtte
snow report
Over on the German Forum . Lech this Afternoon !

http://www.alpinforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=48925&p=4980108&hilit=arlberg#p4980093
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Winter is coming back. Already new snow in Lech. From tonight throught thru the next few days, We could be getting 10-20cms per day at elevevaion. Freeze level going down to around 1500M
snow conditions
Oberlech May 12th

latest report
a random thought/question, but does anyone know why St Anton doesn't have a half pipe anywhere??
snow report
stanton wrote:
clarky999

Unfortunatly Schindler will have to be renewed probably in the next 5 years and unconfirmed reports say it will be a 6 Man Chair with Bubble.

Do you have you any idea how will they engineer that? The run out area at the top is busy enough as it is and a six man chair, which will probably be faster than the current three seater as well, would make it horrendous.

I suppose they could do something like that which was done with the Aeroski replacement in Tignes, with the upper terminal effectively inside the mountain, with an elevator to an enlarged skier area at the top.
snow report
richjp,

There is a clear warning (Advanced skiers) sign at the base entrance to Schindlergratbahn.

There would not neccesarily be anymore (so to speak) people on the lift. The higher capacity detachable chairs are spaced out much further than the old style fixed grip chairs.

snow conditions
ski holidays
40-50cm New Snow. This weekend will be good Very Happy
ski holidays
kitenski wrote:
a random thought/question, but does anyone know why St Anton doesn't have a half pipe anywhere??

I've never been there in winter, so I do not know.

However, my snowboarding buddies run a summer ski/snowboard camp. They used to have huge half pipes there... but about three or four years ago they stopped. Now it's all jumps and rails. When I asked why they said the kids were over it.

In winter they have one pipe in Whistler, but it's often been closed when I've been there, and it's years since I saw anyone competent ride it. I'm sure such people exist, I just don't see them anymore. Here's the last snap I took of someone in a half pipe, Brighton Utah about 10 years ago or maybe a little more.

So it's just changing fashion, I think. The good news is that there are plenty of natural half pipes out there.
ski holidays
kitenski, there's loads of natural gullys about where you can hoon around doing half pipe stuff in St Anton, Lech/Zurs, Stuben and Warth.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy