Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Aspen - 8th-22nd December 2013 - will we be disappointed with the conditions?

Poster: A snowHead
After a near-miss with the Big C I have a bit of money coming in from a critical illness insurance policy so I decided to splurge on a once-in-a-lifetime ski trip.

We usually ski Colorado because my wife has had bad experiences in Europe and loves the wide-open pistes and more consistent snow conditions. Mainly ski'ed Breckenridge but also been to Winter Park and Vail.

We've both always wanted to try Aspen so figured now is the time to do it. The issue is timing. We can't go in early 2014 as we have already booked a two week vacation to the Maldives scuba diving for my birthday in February (I know what a drag!) and I can't get two two-week vacations from work so close to each other. Instead we were thinking of going December this year. Christmas looks like being incredibly busy and expensive so we were looking at the early season, more precisely the middle of December - 8th-22nd.

We were looking at staying at Snowmass for the first week for ski-in-ski-out and then moving to Aspen itself for the second week.

However, I am now looking at the conditions and wondering whether there will be enough snow! No point spending a bucket of cash on a once-in-a-lifetime ski trip and then not skiing, right?

I hear that they have snow cannons which are active from Thanksgiving - so pretty much a week before we are aiming to get there - but how many runs will open with just snow cannons?

I'm a reasonable intermediate, my wife more an experienced beginner/early intermediate, so we won't be put off by a lack of black/double diamond runs opened, we are more looking for leisurely groomed runs to take and enjoy the scenery. We would just prefer the scenery to be snow rather than grass/mud/rock! Smile

Are we going at the wrong time of year? If we have to we could put it back to Jan/Feb 2015 but that seems such a long way off and I haven't ski'ed in the last two years now!

Any advice / experience of skiing Aspen/Snowmass this early in the season would be much appreciated! Thanks!

Ken
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Maybe instead of spending both weeks at Aspen (it's not that big), spend the 1st week in Steamboat which has a reputation as early season snwo magnet?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
ken_1969, do you want to travel so far to ski on artificial snow? Puzzled

I'd be looking for somewhere somewhat snow sure at that time of year myself.

Utah? Wyoming? (No idea if they're a better bet!)
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I have no idea about the snow conditions then, but it does sound a bit brave.

Do they have archived webcam images you can look at?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Some years they have had plenty of snow others not.

The other year Womans D/H was cancelled and they all hit the pow, due to too much snow to race Madeye-Smiley Which is in early Dec or late Nov. IIRC

I've been twice and personnally I'd leave it until later in the season.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I think you'll be fine. I've only been to Aspen/Snowmass very late season rather than very early (when conditions were still excellent) but I don't see why you'd have a problem for what you want. I've skied umpteen weeks in the 3Vs in December with no issues and in comparison Aspen/Snowmass resort level is higher than Val Thorens and the skiing goes higher than anywhere in the 3Vs or even the Tignes glacier so it should be better.

The disadvantage of going early season is normally that the off-piste is more limited but that won't matter for what you want. Both areas will already have been open 2-3 weeks and I'm sure the snow quality will be better than it would be in Europe for that time of year. You already know that Colorado snow is lighter than European snow and both Aspen and Snowmass are tree lined so they don't get windblown or suffer from the exposure that places like VT do. At your skiing level I think you'll love Snowmass skiing more than Aspen but I don't blame you for wanting to experience staying in Aspen. They're all linked by free bus anyway so it doesn't really matter.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
ken_1969, you generally choose US due to more consistent snow conditions etc, yet you are splurging on early season to probably least dependable of major areas in US at that time? If snow is good you'll be fine but a lot of money and distance if not. Surely for reliability there must be better choice.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
whistler a better option?? the slopes are as your wife would appreciate for sure - my wife is the same ('boarder) and loved whistler/Blackcomb. I think the season opens just after mid November. 18 months ago the base even by mid november was rediculous.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Raceplate wrote:
I think you'll be fine. I've only been to Aspen/Snowmass very late season rather than very early (when conditions were still excellent) but I don't see why you'd have a problem for what you want. I've skied umpteen weeks in the 3Vs in December with no issues and in comparison Aspen/Snowmass resort level is higher than Val Thorens and the skiing goes higher than anywhere in the 3Vs or even the Tignes glacier so it should be better.

Altitude means little on it's own - look at the amount of snow Niskeko gets, with the peak at 1308m... All about the climate.

I thought Colorado was supposed to be colder but drier than much of the rest of the states, and not exactly renowned for regular dumps. Snow should be lighter, though that also means you need more of it early season to cover the rocks. Surely somewhere a bit nearer the Coast would make more sense early season? More snow, denser snow to fill in the runs better...
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

I'm sure the snow quality will be better than it would be in Europe for that time of year.

That's not exactly a ringing endorsement of the idea though, is it? It does seem a shame to book in advance to go so far, and spend so much, at a marginal time of year. But if snow turns out to be good, no reason not to book at the last minute?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Hi all - thanks so much for the responses - just what I need to hear before laying down a big chunk of cash! No, definitely not travelling so far and paying so much just to ride on artificial snow - not going to risk it. We will definitely have to reconsider our timing for sure.

Thanks all!

Ken
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
ken_1969, your once in a lifetime splurge on skiing could be this summer - Chile!

We went a few years ago with http://www.casatours.com/

We skiied 5 resorts in a fortnight and had an incredible trip! It may look expensive initially but it was very good value for money, as the cost included transfers, hotels, dinners, ski passes and ski guiding every day if you wanted it (ie it included everything except international flights, lunches and drinks).

It was also a very varied trip, with opportunities to sample Chilean culture as well as the skiing. We had 10 days of skiing and 4 days of off slope activities, including visiting Santiago, traditional markets off the beaten track, a posh vineyard for winetasting and a slap up lunch (at no extra charge), a visit to natural thermal springs and travel (including a domestic flight) between resorts.

I'd recommend it to be added to every skier's wishlist!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Bergmeister, Some friends who lived there said t was great. I gather the only problem was the altitude sickness. Was that OK for you?
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
After much consideration and investigation we've decided to change our dates around. Originally we were going to go to The Maldives for my birthday in mid-late Feb '14 and ski in December '13. Although I've heard that the Maldives is at it's best for us nearer Feb the difference between December and Feb is marginal compared to the difference in Aspen between Dec and Feb!

Chile sounds interesting to me but I don't think would be an option for my wife - I looked at a bunch of reviews and piste maps and it definitely looks like the runs favour intermediates / experts so not good for the missus who needs lots of easy green runs to get her started and then lots of wide coasting blue runs. El Corado looks to have a high percentage of beginner runs but is mainly drag lifts, not a lot of fun for either of us. I've had a number of ski trips where the terrain hasn't been ideal for the wife and she has wound up not skiing at all and I won't risk that this time around. Having been to Winter Park, Breck, Vail, Keystone, and Copper Mountain in Colorado and read up on Snowmass, Buttermilk and Aspen I feel reasonably confident I can get her skiing the whole week.

I certainly have Chile in mind for my own personal ski bucket list and I hope one day to get out there via work. Smile

We are now contemplating doing a 10/4 split - 10 days in Snowmass with the last 4 days in Aspen. We are looking at Mt. Chalet in Snowmass as it looks like a good location with ski-in/ski-out. The main reason for going to Aspen is to put a real luxury spin on the tail end of the vacation which falls right on my birthday - maybe spend a day in a spa, head out to a nice restaurant etc. Either at The Viceroy, The Jerome or St Regis. Any thoughts about any of these places, or other recommendations in Snowmass/Aspen?

Our dream location would have a private hot tub and it's own fireplace but I've not found anything that matches up so will have to compromise I guess.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Snowmass is A$pen is it not? For me the hassle of packing up my detritus and moving it would surpass any bonus from the added luxury of a name hotel in town but clearly YMMV. Probably worth avoiding President's weekend if you can in Feb but I suspect won't be a dealbreaker.
ski holidays
ken_1969 wrote:
Our dream location would have a private hot tub and it's own fireplace but I've not found anything that matches up so will have to compromise I guess.

You might have better luck finding that combination in a condo than a hotel room.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy