Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Euro blacks you should ski before you get old

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Interesting comparisons to the Swiss Wall in Les Crosets ("Le Mur Suisse", "Chavanette" being the french side of the col); from what I can see it's not in the same class of knarliness as those shown above, irrespective of its popularity. There's no cornice jump in, it's wide not a couloir, and the difficulty is a product of the size of the bumps (due to the fact that it is "doable" for the masses), and regular icyness due to south-facing aspect rather than extreme steepness. A black run that's open 90% of the season is a different beastie, and not imho in the "unmissable" category davidof refers to.

There's no reason why a piste has to be mechanically packed to qualify as a piste, until winch-grooming was invented very few blacks were. Some in US were foot-packed, most in EU were left gloriously unmolested as the snow-gods intended.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
meh wrote:
under a new name, he kind of has to going so slowly off the edge otherwise he'd be pitched forward by the tails and/or wouldn't get into the right position at all and crash spectacularly. Either way, punting off cornices is fun.

Surely the correct solution would be to draw back and add a few skating steps to acquire appropriate forwards velocity?
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Great idea for a thread. Maybe include any marked and avalanche controlled run? There's a very steep ski route naturepiste thing leading down into Tignes from the Val side? Also there's a pretty steep black in Ischgl which apparently has a new lift for it this year.

Both among the steepest blacks I've skied but prob not really steep enought to warrant a journey to.

My first trip was to Sierra Nevada and I have fond memories of being so scared at the edge of a world cup black there that I had to take my skies off and walk away, not sure of that was just naivety though!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
under a new name, both really, it's pretty canonical to bring your hands forward and bring your knees up to get the right position in the air. A bit more speed means a bit less haste is needed getting into it. Very Happy
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Canonical? Puzzled

Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
As in something being 'canon' or a basic principle. Or just plain like a cannonball. Laughing
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
meh, just because Plake, Schmidt, Hattrup et al made it look cool in the eighties doesn't make it mandatory Cool
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Don't ruin the illusion, everyone should be throwing backscratchers off everything! Cool
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
meh, too true.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
8611, Ischgl: you mean the one marked 70% off the Greitspitze? Meh. Just don't over think it.

(That goes for anything with the slightest drop in. These areas have become known as 'lemming ledges', where everyone lines up to peer down. Leave a gap for the rest of us Toofy Grin )

Ischgl is groomed to within an inch of its life, so nothing is particularly mind blowing. The itineraries were far more challenging than the steeps, and I probably learnt more doing them.

Conclusion: nice place, worth a visit, but not for must-do blacks.

davidof, nice thread. I'm intrigued by some of these French ones, having never thought of LGB or La Clusaz as gnarly, but I haven't been yet so my judgement is definitely reserved from now on.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Are there itineries there, I don't remember them? Hoping to head back next year really liked it. The good thing about all those blacks in that area is you can do lots of repeats on them very easily as there are lots of lift options to get you back up. I think the one I was talking about had something on the map claiming a gradient alright. It is meh for sure, but its hard to find pistes that aren't meh. And its prob on the whoa side of meh. Some of the above certainly look interesting.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
8611, yep, several ski routes in Ischgl.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy