Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Buying advice needed

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi,

Apologies if this is in the wrong area, I didn't think it would fit in the Buy/Sell bit.

I'm going to buy my first ever set of skis and boots for the 13/14 season and I'd like some advice. There are some good deals at the moment on a couple of pairs of skis (with bindings) that I'd quite like to buy but as I go through the process I'm asked for details of my ski boots. Here's the problem: I don't want to buy boots in the sale - I want to buy them just before the start of the season when I can get my feet measured and have the widest choice of boots to find something comfortable. Is it a big faux pas to buy your skis before you get boots? Can bindings be adjusted for pretty much any size boot? (feel free to laugh at my ignorance!).

Thanks.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
headtothehill, some system bindings are fully adjustable and some are fixed with only a small adjustment range. As for buying, I, and I think most here will say boots first and properly fitted before skis. If you post links to what ski/bindings you're interested in I'm sure someone will pop up and tell you if the bindings are suitable for pretty much any boot sole length.

WARNING!!!!!! If you go down the route you state DO NOT attempt to set them up yourself the first time, get it done by a pro ie http://thepisteoffice.com/

Cheers, John
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
headtothehill, I'm pretty sure any retailer will let you buy skis and bindings then go back and get then fitted when you've got boots. Just get the agreement written onto the receipt...
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
If the bindings aren't mounted, the place you buy the boots from should be able to mount them up for you. If they are already mounted, you may or may not be able to adjust them enough for the boots, but worst case scenario you can take them off, plug the holes and re-mount (only negative here is reduced re-sale value, won't affect skiing).

Would be normal to buy boots first, but that's nor really applicable here as you'll be buying everything before next season (buying skis and then renting boots on holiday would be a bit weird). FWIW when buying my first skis/boots I did the same as you, cheap skis in the summer sales, chose boots from the full range late Autumn.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
headtothehill, why do you want skis before boots? Do you know what exact skis you want?
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
peanuthead, skis are cheap now. buying boots now restricts choice.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
clarky999 wrote:
Why on earth would buying boots now restrict future ski choice . . . unless going AT or Tele?
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Masque wrote:
clarky999 wrote:
Why on earth would buying boots now restrict future ski choice . . . unless going AT or Tele?

Sorry, poorly phrased. The range of boots currently available to choose from is restricted, better to wait and buy from the full range in late autumn to get the best fit. However, larger choice of cheap/on-sale skis atm than in the Autumn, hence buy the skis before the boots.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
clarky999, Just a casual look at what's available gives a lack of mid-range boots but quite a few upper at good prices so if you knew what you wanted this would be a great opportunity . . . but you're right, for a first time buyer they need advice and a full range to pick from, so as long as the OP buys a 'system binding' or un-mounted binding with their skis that will be the better option in this case.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Just buy the skis and ask if they'll leave the bindings unmounted for you to get mounted once you've got you boots?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I bought hubby some skis for Christmas, bindings came unmounted and we got our local guy to fit the bindings for a small sum.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thanks for everyones advice.

As Clarky999 says I'm hoping that by waiting to buy my boots in the late Autumn I will get the fullest range of boots to try to get a good fit. There is a finite amount of money my wife will let me spend on these and I figure if I can buy skis in the sale then I won't be restricted by price when it comes to boots later in the year and I can get the 'right' pair whether they are £150 or £350+.

Thanks to Masque and others; I think I'll make sure the bindings are unmounted (I hadn't realised this was an option until now) and then get them fitted when I buy the boots.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
If you know the size of your feet a binding mounted for a boot to fit that size should adjust for any brand.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
headtothehill, good plan...
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
headtothehill, Edge & Wax have some cracking ski bargains at the moment, ends tonight IIRC. I bought youngest some skis this season and they happily held onto them until I had boots sorted. Failing that, I have had bindings mounted on new skis FOC in resort (kind of expected small charge).

http://www.edgeandwax.co.uk/ We've had several pairs from them over last few years and very pleased with advice, delivery, prices etc
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy