Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

skis for short people!

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I'm looking for performance skis but I'm only just over 5ft tall (despite being middle aged). I normally ski on 140s which i find ideal. Sadly, skis this size are generally produced for recreational use and don't really perform so well at high speed and when carving - or so I've found. I saw some great Rossignol ones in the SCGB mag last month that I'd like to try, specially designed for women too, but they start at 146. Is 6cm likely to make a hugh difference? Any suggestions or advice?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Jane,
1. Which model were they?
2. Have you tested them for yourself?
Smile
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Jane, Best thing to do is try them. No 6cm won't make much difference. I'm 5'3" tall - my skis range from 150cm to 183 - they're all fine ! wink
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Jane, Have you looked at the kids slalom skis? The more race orientated of these may suit a smaller woman with good technique.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Jane, 6 cm probably won't make a huge difference but as has been said here many times before, try before you buy. Also, try "junior" race skis. You'll find them shorter and cheaper!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Jane, The new female specific T9 'Luv' range from K2 go down to 146cm. The 'Burnin Luv' is their performance piste ski & has had excellent reviews.

http://www.k2skis.com

http://www.techsupportforskiers.com/ski_reviews_k2.htm
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Jane, as a fellow vertically-challenged person, at 5ft 1in, I ski on 150cm Rossignol Saphir skis , the 146 or 150 should be fine. They are very easy skis to turn and control. Not for speed freaks though.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
My daughter skis on Fischer World Cup RC4 and she is 5'
She use 138 on plastic and 143 on snow. although these are a junior ski they would give you all the on piste performance you would need as an alternative her sister skis on Salomon 10 3v 143cm another performance junior ski.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Jane, I concur that a junior race ski is probably what you're looking for. I can confirm that Helen Beaumont, is also short! Very Happy From your post I should think you're looking for a bit more performance than the Saphir though.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Sorry - I forgot I posted this! Been a bit busy. I never thought of a junior race ski - thanks kevinrhead, and easiski. I've been skiing on the Ros Saphir and they've been great but I'm looking for something with a bit more performance now. Where do I find junior race skis? Can I buy in France? I'm heading out soon and don't have time to shop here.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Yes, you can get easily in France. If you like the Rossignol "feel" then you might want to try the CompJ or maybe more performance. I'm not at all familiar with the junior range...

One thought though, it's not height that's as important as weight...and I don't think I know you well enough to ask anything about that!
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Jane, Any and all shops in resort (or indeed towns) will stock a selection of Junior skis. Some shops will be more race orientated, so just cruise around window-shopping. Ask the questions and see if you can try the skis out. What's your shoe size? That might make testing difficult ifyou have size 6 feet. If 4 or so then no problem. If you've been on the Saphir (very squelchy), you might be best looking at a GS ski rather than a slalom one. Plenty of choice out there though - happy hunting. Very Happy Very Happy
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy